• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anthony Straker

I have never heard any rumours that Straker might be a bad egg. I don't remember anyone posting anything about this on SZ previously.

Here is a quote from the man that signed Straker for Motherwell:

Motherwell boss Ian Baraclough told the club's official website: "Anthony is someone who I have known for some time now and I am delighted to get him on board.
"He is versatile enough to play either at left-back or pushed on one at left midfield. He is full of energy, has got pace and a lot of experience being involved in promotion-winning teams down south as well as playing international football.
"Most importantly though he is hungry to play and show what he can do. He's the type of character we need at the moment."

This is the only bit I ever heard behind the scene about Straker. He wasn't ever happy when not in the team. But that's common. He certainly never showed a bad attitude at training.

This is the only bit I ever heard behind the scene about Straker. He wasn't ever happy when not in the team. But that's common. He certainly never showed a bad attitude at training.

He didn't want to do yoga. In fact he sulked and rubbished the idea.

Move to the Conference next or perhaps back to Scotland?

He has just signed for Conference side Grimsby Town until the end of the season. Could be playing Division 2 football again next season, as Grimsby currently sit 3rd in the national league with a couple of games in hand over the rest.

He has just signed for Conference side Grimsby Town until the end of the season. Could be playing Division 2 football again next season, as Grimsby currently sit 3rd in the national league with a couple of games in hand over the rest.

No. He'll be found out by then.

I reckon too, hence the "only to the end of the season" contract he was offered at conference side Grimsby. If rock bottom of league 2, York City are ready to let him go for nothing, truly speaks volumes.

Straker was a strange one. On his day he was absolutely unplayable and Chesterfield fans used to think he was the football league's answer to Gareth Bale as for some reason he always played a blinder against them! Obviously had talent, but unfortunately one good game in every ten doth butter no parsnips.

They won't go up now that they have signed straker

A Grimsby supporting friend of mine said he played about 40 minutes for them and he was truly dreadful.
I remember watching his debut against Peterborough away in the league cup. Again, he was dreadful. I was sitting next to his dad who was literally tearing his hair out every time his son gave the ball away!

A Grimsby supporting friend of mine said he played about 40 minutes for them and he was truly dreadful.
I remember watching his debut against Peterborough away in the league cup. Again, he was dreadful. I was sitting next to his dad who was literally tearing his hair out every time his son gave the ball away!
Blasphemy! Straker is a god among men.

There's a half decent player in there but to get it out of him regularly he seems to be the sort of guy that needs the manager to always have his arm around him telling him he's a good player.

The most hot and cold player I've ever seen at Southend and my god when he was cold he was dog!

There's a half decent player in there but to get it out of him regularly he seems to be the sort of guy that needs the manager to always have his arm around him telling him he's a good player.

The most hot and cold player I've ever seen at Southend and my god when he was cold he was dog!

Only hot twice.

Chesterfield and Morecambe away -both in the Cup.

Only hot twice.

Chesterfield and Morecambe away -both in the Cup.

You must have missed a few home games. Not saying he was anything other than what has been said above, but he certainly had more than 2 decent games for us. Hartlepool at home springs to mind.

Back