• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

He is one of the minority of midfielders who can score double figure totals in a season. This is very useful, he is also excellent from dead ball situations, can get great goals from free kicks. All of this is an asset to anyone who signs him. The downside though, and it's a big one, is his low work rate and that is probably why he is being released. A talented player but needs to put in more of a shift when he plays.

That's not how I read it and didn't back up some of the stats that have been produced which said he frequently covered more distance than anyone else.
Mo Farah could cover a lot of distance but I wouldn’t be keen on him in my midfield.

I think CP tried a few systems of midfield to incorporate Woody and try a way of fitting him in; primarily in a 5 and away games. It did not work and was a failure. A 4 player midfield with MacL and Kites as wide players didn't have enough strength if Woody was a centre partner to one of Dru, Tims, Mantom or Wright.
He didn't work hard enough to be the 2nd 1 in a 4 4 1 1 formation & especially not defensively.

He was a player when we signed him I was very excited about and when on his game he was quality. Problem for him this season has been his injuries and his inability to actually turn up for a game when he isn’t injured.

I wish him all the best and thank him for his time with us. But it’s time to move on and use his wages for someone who will play a full season. We can not afford with our budget to have injury prone players.

That's not how I read it and didn't back up some of the stats that have been produced which said he frequently covered more distance than anyone else.

I have heard about this stat before so I may well be wrong OBL. He always seemed to stroll around to me though. I wonder how he compares to the other centre midfielders we had this season in terms of metres per minute?

when we had the well balanced midfield of Atkinson, Leonard, Woody and McLaughlin plus decent forward so the ball doesn't come straight back he had a great season for us. But I fear that's the thing, and all of those factors were necessary to make it work. Shame, I was well excited when he signed for us but beyond that one season he's not been up to it

Thanks for the goal against Colchester and the free kick away at MK last season. Shame this season didn't go so well.
Good luck !

I understand the reasons he was let go , but also think a midfielder who can create and score the amount he does is a VERY rare commodity, and one I personally would like to have kept.

Still. No more chanting "Oh An-thony Words-worth" ............

Perhaps "No An-thony Words-worth" instead ..........

Last edited:
Glad to see the back of wordsworth!! He was lazy and when he played under Powell we seemed to loose those particular games! Not up for a challenge! And won't be missed! Josh wright always gave his all but I just don't rate him and he never scored the goals he got for Gillingham while with us! And macglashan was ok for 10 minutes at the end of a game for pace but was so inconsistent.

Such a shame, I really really like Wordsworth, I wish him the best of luck, I'm sure he will be snapped up & come back to Roots Halls with the opposition to cause us problems.

Let's hope he can stay free of injury & enjoy success for the rest of his career.
Thank you Mr Wordsworth.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

(Maybe PB will snap him up if he gets the Swindon job in a permanent basis!)

71 starts ...19 goals
Lenny 265...27 goals
Not the same type of player I know ,but if fit a good return

I recall a Jeff Stelling 'moment' on the Sky Soccer Saturday vidiprinter where Wordsworth scores for Southend followed by another goal for what was then Craig Shakespear's Leicester, leaving the monkey-hanger to croon how Sky was bringing literary culture to the screen.

And to think I still watch it every season ...

Glad to see the back of wordsworth!! He was lazy and when he played under Powell we seemed to loose those particular games! Not up for a challenge! And won't be missed! Josh wright always gave his all but I just don't rate him and he never scored the goals he got for Gillingham while with us! And macglashan was ok for 10 minutes at the end of a game for pace but was so inconsistent.

That's because Powell kept playing him wide left. It wasn't where he played or where he felt comfortable but he did what was asked. He made plenty of challenges, left some of us wincing at times. I think you'll find he will be missed, you just can't appreciate the style of his play.

The later ones here are not with us, but there are plenty here that are. Just look at the quality and tell me he didn't give his all? Like I've said elsewhere, try playing when you already have a hamstring tear and when your brother dies.....you haven't got a bloody clue!!! :angry:

[video=youtube;SLB6j5-TOzI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLB6j5-TOzI[/video]

That's because Powell kept playing him wide left. It wasn't where he played or where he felt comfortable but he did what was asked. He made plenty of challenges, left some of us wincing at times. I think you'll find he will be missed, you just can't appreciate the style of his play.

The later ones here are not with us, but there are plenty here that are. Just look at the quality and tell me he didn't give his all? Like I've said elsewhere, try playing when you already have a hamstring tear and when your brother dies.....you haven't got a bloody clue!!! :angry:

Well if he had an injury then he shouldn’t have been playing. He knows his own body and should be big enough to know and admit when he should not be playing with an injury.

And as for playing after his brother died, look at Billy Sharp he carried on playing after his son had died. Plenty of players play on after losing family members, you can’t keep using that as an excuse.

Well if he had an injury then he shouldn’t have been playing. He knows his own body and should be big enough to know and admit when he should not be playing with an injury.

And as for playing after his brother died, look at Billy Sharp he carried on playing after his son had died. Plenty of players play on after losing family members, you can’t keep using that as an excuse.

Difficult one really. Coming towards the end of his deal and being told to play through injury. Perhaps he felt he needed to try otherwise he wouldn’t have got the deal he wanted. It hasn’t worked out well for him.

You can’t make a comparison on two completely separate people dealing with grief as it affects each person differently. Grieving is not an excuse, it’s a valid reason why he may not have been at best this season.

Really sorry to see wordy go, as he is is a massive talent. No idea about his personal situation or any issues he has faced this season. All i Can judge against is what I have seen over the season at Roots hall. And this isn't a bad thing - wordy has been consistent, reliable and inspirational at times. All I do know is that there are others who fill Wordy's shoes. Unfortunately, but that is football, as Wordy himself knows more than anyone.. I do wish him all the luck in the world, as I am sorry to see him leave. X

should not be getting rid should have got fit pre season you would of seen a better player someone's going to get a good player for nothing

Back