• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Now put your hand in ya pocket Ron for a quick centre half to play along side him please:smile:

Signs new contract - Brilliant news, hugely important to us on and off the pitch.

2 years - Not 100% convinced, especially if it's big money before appearances are taken into account. Can certainly see why the likes of Thompson and Atkinson may not have been too happy getting the same length offer.

Are your serious? This could be one of the key signings for us this season. Thompson was only as good as he was due to playing with AF.

Are your serious? This could be one of the key signings for us this season. Thompson was only as good as he was due to playing with AF.
Yes, that's why I said it's hugely important to us. Would certainly sign him up and think it's the best news we've had all summer, my only small doubt would be whether a 2 year deal suits us.

As for Thompson, we'll only find out seeing how he does at Bury and how we replace him.

^
Indeed. I was thinking the same.

You shouldn't really pile boxes of important documents in the corner of an office like that. It's a fire risk for starters!

I'm sceptical about 2 years. He looked crocked end of last season and the boys already take the **** out of him for the amount of stretching he has to do before training. We definitely need some young blood in to play alongside him and I guess the name alone is a good bargaining chip to perhaps entice new signings to sign for us.

If he was fit, he wouldn't be playing for us!

Yep, we are probably expecting to get 30 maybe 35 games out of him although saying that it was only right near the end of the season that he was really struggling so with a pre-season under his belt who knows.

Agreed.

An 80% fit Ferdinand, with a good centre-half alongside him, is still a massive boost for us, as was proved last season.

What do we think the over/under will be for number of games for Anton in 2018/19?

really happy with this one - sorted. is the overall mood that we are not unhappy with this signing?? (Note I didn't say "happy" - I've been on here too long to be that rash:smile:)

This is great news for the Club and shows intent, offering him a 2 year deal makes sense it provides an element of security for Anton and ensures the club keep hold of him come way may in May 2018.

I just read the comments that were posted on the BBC page;

"I had a fantastic time here last season," said Ferdinand, who was made Southend captain in October.

"As I've said before, when the gaffer asked me to sign over a year ago, it was because of him that I joined Southend.

"The feeling I got off of him was one of reassurance, one of confidence and a real football man. He showed that to me throughout the season so I was keen to get the deal done to work with him for another couple of years."

Smacks in the face of all the "brown out' brigade, really.

Adds stability I guess? Personally not convinced that he has two years left in him at this level.

In two years time he'll still be younger than the likes of Prior and Barrett were when they rejoined. I think this is great new.

Excellent news, was my player of the season due to the impact he had on the team.

Not worried by a 2 year contract, it's not as if he's 38!!

Now to bring in 2 more centre backs (as well as 2 or 3 midfielders)

For the people bemoaning 2 years , come on !

If we needed that to keep him , that's what we had to do. I can't imagine what would have happened if he had left because we only offered 1 year .. this is great for the club. Keep as many as we can from the last season whilst tidying edges. WA and AT are both very much replaceable. AF is great for those around him , as others have alluded to.

Anton signing was always going to be more important than Thommo who he helped and improved immensely. Whoever plays alongside him will benefit.

2 years?! The bloke can barely run now!
One of my colleagues at work is a West Ham fan. After he found out we signed Ferdinand last season, he asked me "Does he still look like he's been crippled every time he runs?"

I think he's always looked like he can barely run. :smile:

This is great news. He makes our defence a lot stronger.

One of my colleagues at work is a West Ham fan. After he found out we signed Ferdinand last season, he asked me "Does he still look like he's been crippled every time he runs?"

I think he's always looked like he can barely run. :smile:

This is great news. He makes our defence a lot stronger.

Exactly. He walks and jogs around like tinman but when he needs to run properly, he does.

Back