• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anyone done any building work recently?

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
Ahoy,

Simple but boring question........

Has anyone done any building work recently such as a house extension?

If so did you bother to notify your neighbours under the party wall act?

Cheers

I have just realised that I have posted this in the wrong forum (and possiblt the wrong site!).

Could a moderator please move this topic to the pub?

We are having an extension built at the moment along with the house next door, and we had to get a party wall agreement and send it to our neighbours on both sides

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ Mar. 08 2006,09:42)]We are having an extension built at the moment along with the house next door, and we had to get a party wall agreement and send it to our neighbours on both sides
Were you advised on the pitfalls of not obtaining a party wall agreement?

Yes, we were fully informed of this by both our architect and the loacal (Brentwood) council's planning department.

A couple of years ago we had a load bearing wall knocked down. The builder mentioned something about a party wall agreement.
We didnt do anything other than tell the neighbours that we were having a wall knocked down.
Now I dread to think what will happen when we come to sell up. It will probably show up in any survey etc.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleetshrimp @ Mar. 08 2006,11:54)]A couple of years ago we had a load bearing wall knocked down. The builder mentioned something about a party wall agreement.
We didnt do anything other than tell the neighbours that we were having a wall knocked down.
Now I dread to think what will happen when we come to sell up. It will probably show up in any survey etc.

It is unclear (to me anyway and I have read a lot about the act) if you are obliged by law to obtain a party wall agreement if your proposed work falls within that described by the act.

The government documents say that you must inform neighbours but mention no legal consequences if you fail to do so other than the fact that your neighbours may try to stop your works by obtaining an injunction. The ODPM site mentions nothing about providing party wall documents to prospective buyers.

I am also concerned that when I start digging my neighbours could use this as an excuse to blame any previous damage caused by building movement on my excavations.

If I try to obtain a part wall agreement I know that my neighbours will run everything through a lawyer and make me pay for it and my work will be delayed for months.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleetshrimp @ Mar. 08 2006,11:54)]A couple of years ago we had a load bearing wall knocked down. The builder mentioned something about a party wall agreement.
Under the Party wall act you only have to notify your neighbour if....

1) You are making changes to an exisitng party wall.

2) You intend to build up to or astride the party line between your neighbours and your property.

3) You intend to excavate within -

a) 3 metres of your neighbours foundations and to a deeper   depth or

b) 6 metres of your neighbours foundations where your foundation  would intersect a line extending downwards at 45 degrees from the bottom of your neighbours foundation.

So, unless the wall you knocked down (and presumably replaced by a load bearing member) was connected to an existing party wall I don't think the work you performed is covered under the act.

Then again, what do I know!

Nice one Cyril
biggrin.gif

The wall we knocked down was an exisiting party wall. And yep we had a lintil keeping the house up.

A pal of mine is currently having an extention built. I will speak to him and see what he done or what his builders advised.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Mar. 08 2006,12:13)]I am also concerned that when I start digging my neighbours could use this as an excuse to blame any previous damage caused by building movement on my excavations.
This is the 'ins and outs' of a PWA. Essentially it prevents blame from previous work. Other thing I woud mention, is it definately a party wall? Although the Act itself is actually quite clear in terms of law, the definition of a party wall is quite confusing. An exisitng wall may not necessarily be adjoining to the neighbour IE, Partition of a semi.

Ive done very little on party walls before but as an architect Id be happy to help as best I can. We do have a PW BS in office on Friday. If you wanted to PM me any queries or plans of your development ill try my best to get some advice for you?

The only advice I can offer you is that if you find a Saxon king's burial site under your garden, keep quiet about it or they'll be a Camp Bling at the back of your house.

Back