• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Application forms

Bluetonic

Banned
I'm applying for a job at a bookies, but at 18 I've never had a job before.

Is it feasible, or even worth it to lie about having a job before? Also, any general hints for filling in the form? After Asda rejected me and left me feeling pretty humble, I'm doubting my skills.

It's terrible, give me a face to face interview and I'd have the job within seconds, it's just actually getting to that which is the problem.

Is it feasible, or even worth it to lie about having a job before? Also, any general hints for filling in the form? After Asda rejected me and left me feeling pretty humble, I'm doubting my skills.

It's terrible, give me a face to face interview and I'd have the job within seconds, it's just actually getting to that which is the problem.

I would say its ok to bend the truth but make sure you cover your bases!

example I done was say I worked for me mums firm...

use her as a reference with her MAIDEN name so no visible relation link then when they call her get a gleaming reference!

i would say in some ways that it's a disadvantage, but you should never lie about it... they can request references or even contact your old "employer" and if they can't get in touch then they will think something is up. do you have any work experience? have you just done paid jobs for friends and family? if not then focus on your skills you have from school and maybe try to give some information as to what you did/do in your spare time, holidays etc

Last edited:
I would definately not lie on an application form. Obvioulsy you can embellish experience to a degree (check out work becomes 'cash handling responsibilities, shelf stacking 'product placement' or 'stock control' etc), but I would never lie. If your employer found out about it they can dismiss you instantly.

I dont know what level of job you are going for, or what your experience / qualifications are....but Ive been involved in recruitment process for different levels of positions before, and believe me the quality of cv's / application forms can be terrible. Often the cv / application form will be used to weed out the completely undesirable applications, then you can meet the rest to find who you want. Id just say, be truthful on the application, make sure it is accurate, well presented and provides enough detail to suggest you have something worth meeting with you further. Good luck with it

keep it to the truth sir, as funny as it is, i dont think they need to know that "pimpin aint easy"

A good website for this sort of thing is http://www.thecvstore.net/blog/archives/ - a couple of articles on there about lying on applications etc.

I would not lie on the form at all mate. Tell the truth - No one expects an 18 year old to have bags of experience. I expect that they know its not a long temr job for you and will be happy to have you on board to cover shifts etc etc.

GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!

Cheers for the advice guys, might as well be honest!
Just a couple of additional ideas...

If it's an application form, set yourself apart from the herd by including a brief covering letter that sells your value. Just include three to four bullet points about how they will benefit from having you as an employee. They may take it into account, they may not, but it will leave a positive impression.

Also, when you come to the form, before you write each answer, put yourself in the shoes of the person reading it and ask yourself this question:

"How does my answer demonstrate that I am the best/right person for this job?"

Hope you get it.
Best of luck.

Just a couple of additional ideas...

If it's an application form, set yourself apart from the herd by including a brief covering letter that sells your value. Just include three to four bullet points about how they will benefit from having you as an employee. They may take it into account, they may not, but it will leave a positive impression.

Also, when you come to the form, before you write each answer, put yourself in the shoes of the person reading it and ask yourself this question:

"How does my answer demonstrate that I am the best/right person for this job?"

Hope you get it.
Best of luck.

This is really good advice. I think if you lie on an application form it'll come back to haunt you at some point. No problem with embellishing a little though, remember, you're selling yourself. Employers want genuine, reliable and trustworthy employees, these are probably the three most important factors to try and address in any accompanying letter.

Back