• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Are we currently better or worse equipped for the Championship than 2005/2006?

• Better equipped

Votes: 106 62.4%
  • Worse equipped

Votes: 18 10.6%
  • About the same

Votes: 46 27.1%

• Total voters

amsemp

Director⭐
Was talking to a mate about this the other day and trying to decide if we are currently better or worse equipped for the Championship than we were when winning League One in the 2005/2006 season.

2005/2006:

Goalkeepers:
Darryl Flahavan, Bart Griemink
Defenders:
Duncan Jupp, Che Wilson, Lewis Hunt, Spencer Prior, Adam Barrett, Andy Edwards, Efe Sodje, Gerard Nash (loan)
Midfielders:
Mark Gower, Kevin Maher, Carl Pettefer, Mark Bentley, Mitchell Cole, Luke Guttridge, Jay Smith, Lee Bradbury, Franck Moussa, Jamal Campbell-Ryce
Strikers:
Shaun Goater (retiring at end of season), Wayne Gray, Charles Ademeno, James Lawson, Freddy Eastwood

2016/2017:

Goalkeepers:
Mark Oxley, Ted Smith
Defenders:
John White, Adam Thompson, Ben Coker, Adam Barrett, Jason Demetriou, Harry Kyprianou, Ryan Innis (loan), Anton Ferdinand
Midfielders:
Anthony Wordsworth, Luke O'Neill, Michael Timlin, Stephen McLaughlin, Will Atkinson, Luke Amos (loan), Jermaine McGlashan, Ryan Leonard, Jack Bridge, Zavon Hines
Strikers:
David Mooney, Simon Cox, Marc-Antoine Fortune, Jason Williams, Frank Nouble, Theo Robinson, Nile Ranger

In comparison, today's squad certainly looks much stronger but whilst the likes of Gower, Maher and Eastwood made the step up relatively easily, I do question whether some of our better players at the moment would be able to.

This isn't a case of counting my chickens or getting ahead of myself, just genuinely curious about how people see our current squad in comparison.

Better equipped, without a doubt. From Ron through the managerial and backroom staff down to the players, we have experience of the higher leagues in spades.

Thinking about this, yes we are better but..... The Championship has also progressed - meaning the competition at that level is much better now than they were 12 years ago. Some of the sums of money being paid for players at that level is huge. I do feel the gap will still be fairly similar to before. I guess we'll see in August :-)

2016/2017:

Goalkeepers:
Mark Oxley, Ted Smith
Defenders:
John White, Adam Thompson, Ben Coker, Adam Barrett, Jason Demetriou, Harry Kyprianou, Ryan Innis (loan), Anton Ferdinand
Midfielders:
Anthony Wordsworth, Luke O'Neill, Michael Timlin, Stephen McLaughlin, Will Atkinson, Luke Amos (loan), Jermaine McGlashan, Ryan Leonard, Jack Bridge, Zavon Hines
Strikers:
David Mooney, Simon Cox, Marc-Antoine Fortune, Jason Williams, Frank Nouble, Theo Robinson, Nile Ranger

In comparison, today's squad certainly looks much stronger but whilst the likes of Gower, Maher and Eastwood made the step up relatively easily, I do question whether some of our better players at the moment would be able to.

This isn't a case of counting my chickens or getting ahead of myself, just genuinely curious about how people see our current squad in comparison.

Who out of this squad do we feel could cut in in the Championship?

Keepers

Oxley - Yes
Smith, hmmm, not sure.

Defenders

White - No
Ferdinand - Yes
Thompson - Yes
Coker - Yes
Barrett - No
Demetriou - Possibly
Kyprianou - Not Yet
Innis - Yes

Midfielders

Wordsworth - Yes
O'Neill - Yes on his good day as a defender, not as a midfielder
Timlin - Yes for a season or so
McLaughlin - Yes
Atkinson - Probably not, despite the fact that he's really good in L1
Amos - No idea
McGlashan - Speed wise yes, ability wise no
Leonard - Yes
Bridge - Not yet
Hines - No

Strikers

Mooney - No
Cox - Yes but for how long
Fortune - Unlikely due to age
Williams - Errr... no
Nouble - no idea but if he can't get into a L1 side then probably not
Robinson - Yes
Ranger - Yes

Looking quite positive actually.

Good old Roots Hall will be fine too, just need to renovate the 'East Stand wart' in the South east corner and the extra capacity needed will again be sorted.

Will it bollocks. The West stand needs some hefty remedial work. the East is a palace in comparison.

We have on our books some players who are capable of holding their own in the Championship , but what we do have which is a genuine plus that we didnt have last time ,is a manager who has been there done that ,and an owner who has also learnt from experience,so yes we are better off this time should we dare to dream ,than we were last time.

We have on our books some players who are capable of holding their own in the Championship , but what we do have which is a genuine plus that we didnt have last time ,is a manager who has been there done that ,and an owner who has also learnt from experience,so yes we are better off this time should we dare to dream ,than we were last time.

As long as he stays.

My main concern isn't so much the squad and staff which I agree are the best they have been for some time, my fear is the finances, we don't make any money in either L2 or L1, we have shifted some players and received about 1.5 million ( I presume not all paid yet) but that merely eases our large indebtedness.

Moving to the Championship will heap more pressure on our finances and with gates of say 10k you only have to look at clubs Like Rotherham, Brentford and say Burton to realise we won't be matching the likes of Leeds, Sheff Wed, Norwich etc.

So unless we can significantly improve our takings / capacity I'm apprehensive about getting promoted if it means heaping more financial misery. Afterall the fallout from 2006/7 lasted many years of free transfers and embargoes etc. I can recall the first season with Luggy when we had about ten signed players in July wiht the season about a month away!

My main concern isn't so much the squad and staff which I agree are the best they have been for some time, my fear is the finances, we don't make any money in either L2 or L1, we have shifted some players and received about 1.5 million ( I presume not all paid yet) but that merely eases our large indebtedness.

Moving to the Championship will heap more pressure on our finances and with gates of say 10k you only have to look at clubs Like Rotherham, Brentford and say Burton to realise we won't be matching the likes of Leeds, Sheff Wed, Norwich etc.

So unless we can significantly improve our takings / capacity I'm apprehensive about getting promoted if it means heaping more financial misery. Afterall the fallout from 2006/7 lasted many years of free transfers and embargoes etc. I can recall the first season with Luggy when we had about ten signed players in July wiht the season about a month away!
Not a reason not to go up, but i do worry that RM can not afford to take us into the Champ. The players we have will no doubt want a wage rise. How will we attract the players we will need to stay up on our wage structure. Anyway, it will be fun trying to do it.

Will it bollocks. The West stand needs some hefty remedial work. the East is a palace in comparison.

Indeed it is and long may it continue for us who prefer the finer things in life! :thumbsup:

Great thread 'ansemp' by the way. Some interesting thoughts, already.

FWIW, I think we might be slightly better equipped, due primarily to PB's knowledge of and contacts at that level and the influence of more experienced players at the club now, compared to 2006.

I think the squad is stronger. In 2006 we were quite reliant on Eastwood and we made some bad signings that summer (Paynter, Harrold etc). It was too much too soon, at least if we go up this time round we'll have had one season of consolidation in League One.

I think we have more players now who could play at that level - Coker, Ferdinand, Thompson's getting better, Leonard, Wordsworth, McLaughlin, Cox, Ranger I'd say are all capable of cutting it in the Championship. And Brown is probably more capable of attracting 'big names' than Tilson was. But as Streaky says, the Championship is also stronger than it was back then and we'd still be a small fish in a big pond. I don't think we'll ever be able to establish ourselves in the Championship until the financial situation improves and we get this new stadium. :headbang:

We've got to be realistic. Getting to the second tier would be a great achievement, as would staying there. We have some players who can compete at that level and could add a few more up and coming maybe.

Brown should make us tougher to beat than Tilson and hopefully make less expensive mistakes in the transfer market. I don't think we need big names, we need shrewd business.

A few years of just staying up would be a fine achievement and may help The Promised Land project along too.

I don't think we'll go up this season but should be aiming for either of the next two

Back