• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southchurch

Manager⭐
I have to admit I love a moan.
It some how seems more interesting to moan about a player or manager than it is to say they are ok.
Example is last nights game which was a fantastic result and the first time we have won there in 10 years, apparently.
Yet every thread is littered with the Smith debate, cos he was less than perfect for the first goal.
How many times do we get 'Sturrock out' on this board when we go 1 or 2 down in a game.

But I dont think its just us. Even the likes of Man city are moaning.

Noticed this quote from match report from Bristol paper.
''Rovers suffered an early scare when Michael Tomlin struck the post with a shot inside the first two minutes.
It sparked 'here we go again' groans from the stands''

less than 2 minutes in and they are saying 'here we go again'.

So is it all football fans that are like this or are we one of the worst ?

Last edited:
I think we as Southend fans like a moan, but in terms of abuse, booing and general demostrations, protests etc....I think our fans are pretty mellow considering what the club has been through the past decade or decades. To some extent (broken promises, lies, awful players, managers in 90's) we probably deserve a moan.

Man City fans on the other hand forget where they came from - rants and generic boo's rang around the Ethiad Stadium because they were drawing 0-0 at home to Swansea in October!!!!! Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Man Utd and Liverpool fans also moan over single halves of football, what the hell!!!!

Blackburn fans treatment of Steve Kean was shocking, imagine they had a Ron Martin involved with Rovers.

On that note - I suggest our fragile players count themselves lucky playing at Roots Hall

There are a certain section of our fans ( not necessarily on this forum ) who would 'hate' us to be successful , I'm convinced of that.
I've listened to some over the past few years , who just love to moan and show off to their friends with their 'desperately funny' comments.
The ones that really annoy me most are the ones that moan when we hit it long and then moan when a short pass results in us losing possession - idiots !
There we go , that's my moan...................

I have to admit I love a moan.
It some how seems more interesting to moan about a player or manager than it is to say they are ok.
Example is last nights game which was a fantastic result and the first time we have won there in 10 years, apparently.
Yet every thread is littered with the Smith debate, cos he was less than perfect for the first goal.
How many times do we get 'Sturrock out' on this board when we go 1 or 2 down in a game.

But I dont think its just us. Even the likes of Man city are moaning.

Noticed this quote from match report from Bristol paper.
''Rovers suffered an early scare when Michael Tomlin struck the post with a shot inside the first two minutes.
It sparked 'here we go again' groans from the stands''

less than 2 minutes in and they are saying 'here we go again'.

So is it all football fans that are like this or are we one of the worst ?

The way I read it , it was the Bristol fans moaning.

Indeed, why would we moan when we hit the post.

Go to any teams forum and you will see fans moaning, its what we do.

In our case where expectations are we should be in the play offs there will of course be more negativity when we are underachieving, especially when we fail to beat the likes of Barnet at home.

When performances and results improve the complaining naturally declines.

There will always be some who complain though as it seems part of some peoples nature, they go to a game to moan about everything.

Ill always remember when we got promoted from League one, the last game of the season we had already been promoted and had one of our best seasons ever, and within 30 seconds of the kick off against Bristol City there was a misplaced pass and some guy stood up and screamed "sort it out Tilson this is rubbish". Bizarre.

The way I read it , it was the Bristol fans moaning.

Yes it was. It was my way of showing other teams moaning. Sorry I was not too clear.
It just struck me as funny that they would think like that after only 2 minutes. To be fair though they must expect better than to be struggling at the bottom of league 2 and have a high profile manager who they all seem to now think is hopeless.
West Ham were moaning last season about long ball tactics, seem happy now though.
I do admire a fan that can be totally depressed about his team and still keep his spirits up.
I love a moan but more often than not end up eating humble pie having slated a player.

The Zone is the place to discuss players' performances , good or bad, --- much better than abusing anyone at the match but it gets very tedious reading all the posts when they are all slagging players off.

I don't know about biggest moaners but some members come across as miserable *******s.

I would like to think some of the players come away from some grounds thinking "maybe we don't get it as bad as we thought we did". Don't get me wrong, I think in terms of mistakes in a game, we really do make a big fuss over the slightest mistake but have seen far worse abuse either at other grounds in league 2 or on the TV.

If you ask me, they bring it on themselves going 1-0 down to Aldershot within 15 seconds :winking:

When is a desire for improvement a moan? When is making a judgement a criticism? When is a long ball round?

Come on Sturrock, sort it out! Now!

I don't think we "moan" more than any other set of fans in football to be honest.

We are victims of our own success in a way. Successive promotions and a stint in the Championship, plus a bright looking future with a super stadium. Followed by almost financial ruin, court trips, unhappy players/mangers/fans, poor PR, no stadium and back where we started. All this has contributed to the current apathy surrounding the club.

And as Silencer has said already. Considering what has happened over the last 4 or 5 years, on the whole I think as a group we have been very forgiving to be honest. You wouldn't see Leeds, Pompey or various other "outspoken" sets of fans take what we have done without much of a moan.

Our fans and floaters have clearly voted with their feet, rather than their mouths. Crowds are down about 60% since the Championship. That is a disaster that should and could of been avoided.

You only have to look at other team's forums to see that things are pretty much exactly the same on those. I think there's more negativity and moaning heard at Roots Hall than at most grounds but purely because of a lack of positive noise to drown it out.

The one thing I think we moan about that's different to other teams is targetmen. I can barely remember a targetman who played for Southend not getting all sorts of abuse. I don't know whether it's because we've been blessed with having attacking players the lieks of Collymore, Otto and Eastwood over the years or something else, however contrast it with a club like Bournemouth where Steve Fletcher and his four goals a season is treated like a God and gets a stand named after him.

You only have to look at other team's forums to see that things are pretty much exactly the same on those. I think there's more negativity and moaning heard at Roots Hall than at most grounds but purely because of a lack of positive noise to drown it out.

The one thing I think we moan about that's different to other teams is targetmen. I can barely remember a targetman who played for Southend not getting all sorts of abuse. I don't know whether it's because we've been blessed with having attacking players the lieks of Collymore, Otto and Eastwood over the years or something else, however contrast it with a club like Bournemouth where Steve Fletcher and his four goals a season is treated like a God and gets a stand named after him.

BBBC deserves this :winking:

Our Board is pretty bad for negativity but I was shocked when I read all the comments on the Bristol Rovers forum after the last match. If we are negative what the hell are they? In addition I thought that the quality of moderating left something to be desired as well. Maybe we should think ourselves lucky?

This thread is genius, I love it. Moan about our fans being moaners. ;)

But Collymore was soo overrated. he only ever scored goals with his feet or his head, and if you discount the penalties, tap ins and goals scored on a Saturday, Sunday or in midweek, then his record was actually worse than Neil Campbell's

But Collymore was soo overrated. he only ever scored goals with his feet or his head, and if you discount the penalties, tap ins and goals scored on a Saturday, Sunday or in midweek, then his record was actually worse than Neil Campbell's

Colly was lazy - 20 yards from goal ..... "I'll shoot rather than run anymore" was his approach. I never saw Colly "thigh in" the ball to the net from 1' out like Blair Sturrock.

Back