• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Arsene Wenger was left baffled by his team's failure to beat Liverpool in an intruiging contest at The Emirates, but refused to agree that their opponent's away goal made them favourites to progress to the last four. Arsenal certainly had the better of the game, particularly in the second half when they dominated possession, but when it comes to protecting an advantage in Europe, Liverpool are unsurpassed.

"I think Dirk Kuyt played right-back for the second half," said Wenger, summing up Liverpool's approach to the closing stages. "The whole of the second half was played in their half of the pitch and we were punished by the only chance they had."

This was a masterclass in European football by Rafa Benitez. After Steven Gerrard dared the world's media to find a metaphor other than, "grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck," Liverpool settled into their foxholes and prepared for battle. They weren't stupid enough to sit back and play aimless long-balls in the same way that practically relegated Bolton at the weeked. They stroked the ball around, waiting for Fernando Torres to find space. Their withdrawn players sauntered off the pitch when they were substituted, they took their time over throw-ins. At one point, Andriey Voronin played keepy-uppy on the touchline for twenty seconds. It wouldn't have been a problem, but he hadn't actually taken the field at the time, he was just warming up and waiting for Jamie Carragher to stroll over and take a throw. As an exercise in limiting potential opposition, it was genius and you have to doff your cap to Benitez, he really excels in this competition.

This isn't to say that Liverpool weren't impregnable. TNP columnist John Burridge wrote recently about Pepe Reina's sudden inability to deal with anything whipped in over his head and I think Arsene Wenger may have been reading online. The Spanish goalkeeper struggled as Arsenal violated his airspace on several occasions and you wonder if a little more confidence claiming crosses might have prevented Emannuel Adebayor's opening goal. Their offside trap failed on numerous occasions, allowing Arsenal's nippy strikers to run in on goal, but they just couldn't provide a final ball, or a clinical finish to make their chances count.

Wenger was convinced that his team were denied an obvious penalty in the 68 minute when referee Pieter Vink failed to spot a rather obvious tug by Dirk Kuyt on Aleksandr Hleb and then there was a bizarre incident where Nicklas Bendtner managed to clear a goal-bound shot off the line, a commendable act when its your line that's under threat, a inexplicable one when it's not.

"It's always important to have an away goal," said Benitez afterwards, "and to play at Anfield is an advantage. It's a good situation. Difficult, because Arsenal are a quality team, but better than it was."

Regardless of his caution, it's clearly advantage Liverpool and the 1-1 scoreline means that we're all set up for one of those 'magical European nights at Anfield.' Unfortunately, though that may be an evening of singing, dancing and breath-holding for Liverpool fans, that's 90 minutes of frantic rearguard and a goaless draw to the rest of us. If Arsene Wenger though that his opponents played defensively tonight, I can't wait to see his reaction after next Tuesday's game.

Prepare yourselves for another Final, Liverpool fans. Rafa Benitez’s men have got ‘that look’ about them. They’re not pretty, they’ve had their fair share of luck, but you cannot fault their resilience and desire. I’ve got a feeling that, for the third time in four seasons, they’re going all the way.

Liverpool’s relative success at The Emirates was summed up by the performance of Dirk Kuyt. The Dutch forward isn’t the most popular player with fans, but he deserves their full respect after another industrious display on the right flank. Most observers would have expected Benitez to play another quick, skilful frontman out there as a mirror to Ryan Babel, but the Spanish boss seems to prefer the awkwardness and tenacity of Kuyt.

“He was the man of the match tonight,” said Benitez at the press conference.

“I think Kuyt played right-back for most of the second half,” bemoaned Arsene Wenger, ten minutes earlier.

And there, in a nutshell, is the difference between the two teams. Wenger puts a premium on technique and style. Benitez prefers tactical diligence and coherence. It was interesting to see his treatment of Andreiy Voronin when the Ukrainian came on with a few minutes to go. Benitez was out on the very edge of the technical area, dictating the pattern of play, and Voronin wasn’t keeping up. In the four minutes that he spent on the pitch, he managed to do almost everything wrong, but it wasn’t his poor touch that frustrated the manager, it was his positioning. Voronin wouldn’t tackle back and kept having to be bellowed at from the sidelines. Kuyt didn’t need that, he knew the game plan.

Javier Mascherano is another of Benitez’s favourites and he also put in a performance to savour. The Argentine came under some sneaky provocation from the Arsenal players, eager to tease out another tantrum, but Mascherano’s mouth remained tightly shut. In the quieter moments of this game, it was a joy simply to watch him off the ball. He never stops running, tacking backwards and forwards, sniffing out danger and then suddenly haring after an Arsenal player, reeling him in and executing a perfect tackle.

Fernando Torres and Babel may have been quiet, but it didn’t matter because it wasn’t a night for them. It was a night for defending. It was a night for holding their lines. Arsenal fans are rightly furious about not getting that penalty decision, but you did get the impression that they could have played for another hour and they still wouldn’t have broken the black shirts down.

Benitez was glowing in his praise of Arsenal afterwards, impressed by their ability to change pace, change style and adapt their formation midway through a game. It’s refreshing to see British clubs coming together in Europe without the animosity that usually marks the occasion. However, you sensed that Benitez’s kind words were like those from a family man complimenting his next neighbour’s sports car. He may say that it’s beautiful, that it’s fast and that it’s got a 7 speed gearbox, but secretly he’d never change from his SUV. Sure, the neighbour’s got a car that gets attention, but it can it drive off-road? Can it do 100,000 miles without a service? Can it get him all the way to Moscow? You bet it can’t.

A Man United Liverpool final would be almost orgasmic...

I think it would be ****. I cant stand to watch Liverpool in anoher final, they are so bloody boring its stupid. When they are playing teams from other nations they are ok, but against English clubs they are very dull, as showed last night!!

Also, I just hate them, no real reason, other than I do.

I think it would be ****. I cant stand to watch Liverpool in anoher final, they are so bloody boring its stupid. When they are playing teams from other nations they are ok, but against English clubs they are very dull, as showed last night!!

Also, I just hate them, no real reason, other than I do.

it's a shame united got drawn with barcelona... the other half of the draw is really dull IMO

What are they supposed to do open the game up at The Emirates? Man Yoo weren't anything special against Roma but it was a good away performance in Europe, as was Liverpool last night.

Back