• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Juggler90

Youth Team
I notice quite a lot of people mentioned the attendance last night which led me to question:

If you were offered a crowd of 3,000 with tickets priced at £20 each or a crowd of 6,000 with tickets priced at £10 each, what would you choose?

I’m not suggesting there is a direct correlation of attendances doubling with ticket prices halving and I appreciate I am over simplifying this for the sake of argument. I also appreciate that as a layman, there are probably numerous factors such as the increased cost of stewarding/staffing etc that need to be taken into account and wouldn’t be covered by a higher attendance generating the same income.

However, some clubs have run some form of scheme with reduced ticket prices where it has been suggested that food and drink, merchandise sales and the knock on effect of returnees is beneficial in the medium/long term future of the club. But it can’t be that simple right, or everybody would be doing it? But do we have something that other clubs don’t that might make it more beneficial to us than them? What about this “South Essex catchment area”? There’s 43 football league clubs within 90km of Manchester. The big London plastic clubs aside and given our relative isolation on the east coast, there’s not so much competition.

I’ve never really bought into the whole 12[SUP]th[/SUP] man thing but I know a lot of people do and players reference it a lot. If it’s true, what’s the value of the 12[SUP]th[/SUP] man if we’re talking the difference of another season in League 2 or promotion to League 1? Can you put a price on that?

There’s a huge catchment area in South Essex and I can’t help feeling that we could and probably should almost fill 9,000 (home) seats for league football and that maybe we’re missing a trick. I realise there is a gamble attached to this, and maybe I will be called naive but is it ridiculous to suggest that by:

a) Reducing ticket prices
b) Publicising the reduced prices through a targeted print and social media campaign including to schools and local businesses
c) Assuming the good will and generosity of current season ticket holders who have bought their tickets but offering them some kind of incentive (free cup games, something not necessarily financial but gestures which can speak volumes of a club – meet the players evening, take their children for photos etc (I’m referring back here to the type of things my granddad used to tell me were part and parcel of a proper football club when players had a pint with us)

that we just might get the 12[SUP]th[/SUP] man we need, improve the atmosphere, secure a bigger support “base” for the future and hopefully have minimal economic impact in the short term.

I found myself thinking last night that I’m sure there were 5,000 people in the whole of South Essex that would have been tempted at least to have gone to football last night if they knew it wouldn’t break the bank.

Regards
Naive of Southend

rearranged game on a freezing night, mid-week, with the option of Pancakes though... was never going to break attendance records, no matter what the ticket price

was so quiet last night, not due to the small crowd, due to the rubbish on display... i imagine twice as many would have been just as quiet

There are clubs that have 3 tier ticket prices,maybe for the game last night it should have been reduced.I wonder how many would have been there for the original date which was a Saturday.One of the problems would be the season ticket holders,we pay up front which seems to get earlier and earlier each season so the club would have to give us a refund or maybe vouchers to spend at the club shop if home gates were kept at lower rates for certain games.

I think low attendances must have an effect on players especially in all seater stadiums when it is far more obvious than in the old terrace days. As you all know the attendances at the WHCS are very poor which I believe is mainly down to 2 reasons which are cost and parking, there are lots of people in Colchester who follow the clubs fortunes but rarely attend a home game.
When you only get 3K-4K turn up in a 10K seater stadium the atmosphere will be flat and sound hollow this certainly detracts from the enjoyment for me and gives less of an edge to it for the players.

Ian,

Agreed it wasn't a great game but it's easy to make that comment now after the game. And I agree you wouldn't fill the ground for a cold tuesday night game but my post wasn't about last night specifically, that was just the catalyst for it. It was more a bigger picture point..

Andy

6,000 at £10 I would pick. Take away season ticket holders (say 2,000 turned up) and it is different. 4,000 at £10 is more than 1,000 at £20.

We have 3 home games in a space of just over a week, I doubt many people will be able to go to all of them.

We have to view attendances in relative terms. I looked at last night's attendances in our division and found that, Oxford aside (just over 5,000) they were shocking. Torquay and Morecambe only just cleared 1,000. In our first spell in the Championship (First Division) we often had small crowds, especially midweek. In fact, in all my time visiting Roots Hall (38 years) we've had this discussion about why we don't attract the locals.

Football will, if it hasn't already, reach a tipping point. I used to go to Southend on Friday night and often go to a top division game in London on Saturday. That was on paper round wages. I simply don't see how kids can go now unless they have well-off and generous parents. That, to my mind, is why our crowd has become progressively older and more miserable. I'm not sure what the opposite of the 12th man is, but that's what we are at times, and that's what happens when the crowd is made up of grizzly, world-weary old farts like the ones moaned about on here.

I suggest that the club lets kids (under 10's?) in for free. Even if they don't go again, they'll have swelled the crowd for that day and will probably buy a horseburger and a drink. I also agree with having regular ticket deals. Give the season ticket holders free cup games, as suggested above. Having said that, I'm a season ticket holder and I couldn't go last night because I live 100 miles away. I won't get my money's worth this season because of missed games, and I've reluctantly decided not to renew next year as a result. As you said, Juggler90, it's the Essex public that the club needs to attract, and I reckon that you'll have to stop just short of paying them to attend. I don't think that reduced prices will make much difference in the short term but, if they stay as they are, they'll continue to raise the average age of supporters until we have a 'who pegged out at today's match?' thread on here in a few years.

Anyway, I've always quite like being able to spread out. It's better than not being able to move and having some bloke wee on your jeans (West Ham v Arsenal, some time in the seventies in case you're wondering).

It simply doesn't correlate that if you reduce prices by half you double the support. One-off games, like Morecambe last year, you will get bigger crowds but not everyone is a die hard fan, last night with freezing conditions and champions league on tv like someone said even if it was free people wouldn't have come along.

A lot of people will come along three or four times a season but will prioritise other things. That's just the way it is.

Was last night the lowest league attendance of the Sturrock era? I suspect it might be.

It was our lowest home league crowd for eight years apparently.

Jai,

I realise it doesn't correlate:

"I’m not suggesting there is a direct correlation of attendances doubling with ticket prices halving and I appreciate I am over simplifying this for the sake of argument."

and as I said to Ian:

"And I agree you wouldn't fill the ground for a cold tuesday night game but my post wasn't about last night specifically, that was just the catalyst for it. It was more a bigger picture point.."

It was more a point of maybe increasing that pool of those "3 or 4 games a season" people by encouraging people to come in the first place who would otherwise be put off by prices. The knock on effect is obviously some people come 3 or 4 times a season, some never return but some people may...wait for it...enjoy it, be able to justify to their better halfs going to football if it's £10, be able to take their families etc

Anyway, the truth is, nothing will come off it and I'm sure we will never see a football club actually risk lowering prices to fill stadiums. But it would be interesting...

Given the size of the catchment area compared to some clubs RH should be nearly full for most games. Down to local apathy (w*****s), I'm afraid, as has been the case for the 46 years I've been a Shrimper. Just sorry it's not possible for me to live nearer at the mo meaning I miss 3/4 of home games.

We have to view attendances in relative terms. I looked at last night's attendances in our division and found that, Oxford aside (just over 5,000) they were shocking. Torquay and Morecambe only just cleared 1,000.

Re-arranged/postponed fixtures all of them, and these will always have lower attendances than normal, as people havent factored them in when planning what matches they will attend.

Remember, a lot of people will have already taken additional tuesdays recently/coming up, for cup games, and spent money on these, and perhaps it would be worth remembering, if someone did have a spare £15, they are probably more likely to spend it on next tuesday rather than this tuesday

IMO Football should be played in the Summer for families to come and watch and encourage new fans. Southend is a seaside town so probably would benefit more.

I almost blew out last night due to it being so cold and also that I am 'losing the love' for my team, but being a loyal fan I attended in the end. It was so boring though and with no atmosphere. Had I not travelled with friends I would have gone home at 1/2 time.

I have sat in the same area of the West Stand for the last 40 years and never before have I seen so many regulars give up and stop attending.

Why?
Constant lack of entertainment on the pitch. Football is supposed to thrilling, exciting and stimulating with skill and flair, it should be giving us something to look forward to at the next game. What we see in the main is rubbish, below par inept performances along with tactics that bore the pants of anybody but the true faithfull.

Constant cra^p off the pitch. So much uncertaincy, fibs and disloyalty from the boardroom towards paying customers has dwindled my loyalty to the club, it has brought out feelings of a 'if they don't look after me, why should I look after them' attitude. (remember the share issue for example?)

TBH I am seriously intending not to renew my SC next season, if I was seeing constant cr^p at the theatre I wouldn't go would I, and if I had to watch inferior understudies who put no effort or pride into their performances, I wouldn't go back would I! If when I got to the venue it was a dump and the food was crap I wouldn't go back would I!

Football fans in general are not treated with the respect they deserve i.e. paying customers. Money is tight these days and unlike the old days there are so many other types of entertainment to spend ones cash on. With the old fashioned attitudes and contempt SUFC shows to its fans ..no wonder gates are diminishing!

End of rant!

Think the other issue you have is the season ticket holders. You have to be careful not to make it too cheap to often for the non-regular fans as if not you get to the position where the season ticket holder has no real benefit from paying all the cash upfront.

As a seaso personally I applaud anything the club can do to get more people in and as long as I am not much worse of (if anything) then they can promote all they like. I dont thinlk all seaso's feel the same.

Think the club have done well with the pricing of the cup games and this to me is where we should try the kids for a quid, anyone for a £5 type promotions.

I have sat in the same area of the West Stand for the last 40 years

Did no one ever move you on when it was all standing? Did your mum warn you about piles?

I've been falling out of love with football for years, and my attendance at matches seems ever more ridiculous when I consider the distance I have to travel. I'm a West Stander who will not be renewing next year. However, if I lived nearby I wouldn't even consider giving up my ticket. As grim as it can be, I bloody love going to the Hall. I have no interest in the Premier League or the national team, in fact I can't stand much of the football circus, but the familiarity and fleeting glimpses of quality are what make lower league football so good.

Anyway, see you at the theatre. I wonder how a Shakespearian actor would react to a shout of 'you're sh*t aaaaaarrgh'.

I buy my season ticket to guarantee me a seat for all the games which I want to go to - all of them, including any away games with high demand. The other perks (cheap cup tickets, the odd voucher) are just a bonus.

I buy my season ticket because I support Southend United, couldn't care less who the opposition are.

I'm moving to Dublin in June for a year, so a decision to be made about next season, as I will barely make a game.

I wish there was another way to support the club than pay £360 for 3-4 matches I'll probably get to attend.

Its a difficult subject and I don't know what the answer is- but one thing's for sure, it isn't a simple 'do one thing ' solution. For instance , last year we were on a great unbeaten record. Local schools and football clubs were given vouchers that could be used for every league game (yes every league game) for £3.00 which got entry for one child and one adult. News letters were sent to every club in the Southend Junior League and Mini Soccer league , that is around 550 teams.+ schools.

Thats over 5000 kids that play football, plus their parents (plus school kids that don't play) , so you would think there would be interest. Yes lots of people used the scheme (I have personally introduced a few to Southend who now go to matches), but we didn't see a huge influx. You can make it as cheap as you like but if people dont think that they are going to enjoy themselves they wont bother going . How do you change this --- I don't know

Back