• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Attendances This/Next Season

Smiffy

¡Viva la Aussielución! 🇦🇺 🦘 ⭐️
Staff member
High: 10,329 v Col Ewe (88 up on last season high)
Low: 6,382 v Tranmere (354 up on last season low)
Average: 7,744 (about 100 down on last season avg)

That put's us 9th, only behind the top 6, plus MK and Saints. Quite remarkable how loyal our core has been this season...

The same average in League Two, would put us 2nd only to Bradford, who offer a dirt cheap season ticket deal.

The League Two average is around 3,700...

So, how will we fare in the attendance table next season?

I think with a promotion challenge, we will average 7,000+
With an average mediocre/relegation season, I think it would drop to 5,500.

I really cannot see us getting less than 5,000 for a League Two game. Even Morecambe at home on a cold winters night. But we shall see.

So in theory, that should put us streets ahead of the rest in terms of gate receipts. Let's hope it is used to purchase the players, that can get us out of this hell hole immediately.

Oh by the way, to end on a happier note, we have averaged around 2,200 more than Col Ewe and 2,900 more than Orient this season. I would be pretty confident of beating their avg next season again as well. Tinpot ****!

Discuss.

Last edited:
Good stats Smiffy, a decent average gate - which makes the financial issues even more frustrating.

How many are season ticket holders though? I would guess there will a huge drop in holders for next season and will be interesting to see what numbers are like.

Depending on who we get on Tuesday nights - say a poorly supported team such as Accrington - I can see some crowds dipping below 5,000.

One plus is that, given that we'll have so few 'big games', there surely won't be quite so many Friday night games next season. I'm all in favour of a few, but I didn't agree with a third of our home games being on Fridays.

Don't underestimate that difference of away fans numbers in league 2.

I don't have access to the statistics but would assume that several clubs brought over 1000 to you this season?

Leeds,
Norwich
Charlton
Southampton
Millwall
Orient
Colchester
Gillingham
Swindon

And I'd guess maybe a few more?

Either way - I can't see that you'll get away attendances of more than 700-800 for more than a couple of games, with an average of around 300-400 - down at least 600 odd on this season before you start?

I don't have access to the statistics but would assume that several clubs brought over 1000 to you this season?

Leeds,
Norwich
Charlton
Southampton
Millwall
Orient
Colchester
Gillingham
Swindon

Either way - I can't see that you'll get away attendances of more than 700-800 for more than a couple of games, with an average of around 300-400 - down at least 600 odd on this season before you start?

Assuming the above all brought approx the same to you then it makes your actual core attendance look even worse dosent it?

Leeds,
Norwich
Charlton
Southampton
Millwall
Orient
Colchester
Gillingham
Swindon

Even if we took 12,000 off the total allowing for about half a dozen decent turnouts. We would still average well over 7,000 this season.

I take your point though. We will have very few, if any teams bringing more than about 1,000 next season. The average would be well less than 400 I would imagine. But then again, we maybe seen as a big fish in League Two, which may prove a decent draw for both home and away fans...

Last edited:
Assuming the above all brought approx the same to you then it makes your actual core attendance look even worse dosent it?

100% agree mate - ours is awful - we'd estimate we only have "core support" of around 4500-5000 but even that dipped for some mid-week games. We lost loads of ST holders when we moved to new stadium as people knew that they wouldn't need one to guarantee a ticket, the for the rubbish midweek games against no-ones they didn't/don't bother turning up.

That's why promotion/relegation is such a massive thing for finances - promotion to championship would mean about 80% of matches would have full away allocation - staying in this division means average away attendance for us will be around 800 - relegation would prob mean averages of less than 300 to be honest with no derbies, no really big teams etc - that's a lot of money down the drain.

Our lowest attendance is pretty good seeing as were we are in the league. And when we went to Col u's ground there attendance was 6,000+ IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE A ESSEX DERBY. empty seats everywhere. Us southenders have pretty good fans ya know!
Lets try and keep it up in League Two, we will be right up their if we do.

Even if we took 12,000 off the total allowing for about half a dozen decent turnouts. We would still average well over 7,000 this season.

I take your point though. We will have very few, if any teams bringing more than about 1,000 next season. The average would be well less than 400 I would imagine.

I certainly wasn't knocking your support as numbers are far better than ours.

Can't find your official stats on away attendance but what is the capacity - seem to remember it being around 2000? - how many times was that sold out this season - must have been 4-5 times at least?

Daggers will bring a decent away attendance I presume and perhaps Wycombe? - Do Bradford still travel in decent numbers do you know? - Other than that - can't see where the decent support is coming from.

On the other hand - If you lot keep your away following up you'll be outsinging most of the teams on the road next season and will prob be considered as one of the big boys!

Our lowest attendance is pretty good seeing as were we are in the league. And when we went to Col u's ground there attendance was 6,000+ IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE A ESSEX DERBY. empty seats everywhere. Us southenders have pretty good fans ya know!
Lets try and keep it up in League Two, we will be right up their if we do.

I'm not going to pretend our attendances are anything other than shocking but you do need some context for that one -

A, it was live on Sky
B, you "only" brought just under 1000
C, it was a midweek match

Had it been on a Saturday and not on Sky it would have been well over 9000

I certainly wasn't knocking your support as numbers are far better than ours.

Can't find your official stats on away attendance but what is the capacity - seem to remember it being around 2000? - how many times was that sold out this season - must have been 4-5 times at least?

Daggers will bring a decent away attendance I presume and perhaps Wycombe? - Do Bradford still travel in decent numbers do you know? - Other than that - can't see where the decent support is coming from.

On the other hand - If you lot keep your away following up you'll be outsinging most of the teams on the road next season and will prob be considered as one of the big boys!

I think we can squeeze around 2,500 in if required. From memory it was full for Leeds, Saints, 'Wall, Charlton and Norwich, few others around 1,500. The rest around 400 or less.

We have a decent away following and are obviously up there with the loudest. So yes, we should enjoy our trips and being seen as a big fish. Would rather League One though obviously. Oh well, go backwards to go forwards and all that....

Last edited:
anyone have the numbers from our last league 2 season? Will be interesting to see if we can top that next season and see if we've really moved our core supporter base forward..

100% agree mate - ours is awful - we'd estimate we only have "core support" of around 4500-5000 but even that dipped for some mid-week games. We lost loads of ST holders when we moved to new stadium as people knew that they wouldn't need one to guarantee a ticket, the for the rubbish midweek games against no-ones they didn't/don't bother turning up.

That's why promotion/relegation is such a massive thing for finances - promotion to championship would mean about 80% of matches would have full away allocation - staying in this division means average away attendance for us will be around 800 - relegation would prob mean averages of less than 300 to be honest with no derbies, no really big teams etc - that's a lot of money down the drain.

Call me a cycnic here but even if you could fill your stadium week in week out I still cant see how you ever going to have funds to compete with the decent sides without Mr Money Bags pumping in his hard earned doe.

anyone have the numbers from our last league 2 season? Will be interesting to see if we can top that next season and see if we've really moved our core supporter base forward..

Yep.

2004/05 season.

High: 11,735 v Yeovil (1,406 up on this season high)
Low: 3,753 v Macclesfield (2,629 down on this season low)
Average: 6,077 (1,667 down on this season avg)

This put us 4th in the attendance league. Behind Swansea (8,457) Bristol Rovers (7,077) and Yeovil (6,320)

That was a decent season on the pitch and I would like to think if we matched it, we would get at least 1,000 more, maybe 2,000 in terms of average in comparison to 04/05.

There were a number of big hitters in that league at the time. In terms of supporter numbers anyway. Next season will be different. Except us, Bradford and maybe Tranmere/Luton.

Last edited:
Back