• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Autumn budget statement - The end of the line for Cameron/Osborne?

Taking my cue from SBH,who recently (on another thread)described himself as "basically a Conservative at heart"

Barna, I really don't like you

...quoting only half of what I said. That's the sort of behaviour that often leads to misinterpretation.

Then again (on this thread):

Sorry to appear a bit dense...

Sorry but I'm really not sure what exactly your main point actually is.

Give up the trolling Barna, you don't have the intellect for it.

superblue24;1463082 Redundancy is designed to pay out employees to the extent that they are compensated for the hassle of finding work and any shortfalls the upcoming weeks/months might bring. In every example I've seen of people being made redundant said:
Well, i'm 55 and have been made redundant. Spent my last 18 years with the company, and i have been given the statatory government pay-off. Great if i can get a job straight away, but unfortunately this is not the case.
I have been on gardening leave for 3 months, and during this time have applied for over 30 jobs, all unsuccessfully. A third of these have been for jobs advertised in job centres, paying the minimum wage, which is'nt fantastic as i rent, and most of the salarys advertised would be absorbed by this amount payable each month.
Unfortunately the reasons given is that i'm too experienced, and the relevant companies think i am only using them for a short term basis. I have never been unemployed before, and am registered with 11 Recruiting Agencies plus another 4 on-line ones.
My redundancy package will cover me for 5 months, and then what?. I want to work and spend every day seeking employment without success. I've applied to Screwfix, Wickes, Debenhams, Sainsburys, to name a few, all online, filling in countless pages of questionaires, and dont even get the curtesy of a reply.
Quite honestly mate, you hav'nt got a clue, and your comments are insulting to individuals like me.
I've had one day off in 18 years, and have over a dozen references from Managing and Branch Directors, but this still dos'nt get me anywhere.
Perhaps you can suggest a strategy for me?

Well, i'm 55 and have been made redundant. Spent my last 18 years with the company, and i have been given the statatory government pay-off. Great if i can get a job straight away, but unfortunately this is not the case.
I have been on gardening leave for 3 months, and during this time have applied for over 30 jobs, all unsuccessfully. A third of these have been for jobs advertised in job centres, paying the minimum wage, which is'nt fantastic as i rent, and most of the salarys advertised would be absorbed by this amount payable each month.
Unfortunately the reasons given is that i'm too experienced, and the relevant companies think i am only using them for a short term basis. I have never been unemployed before, and am registered with 11 Recruiting Agencies plus another 4 on-line ones.
My redundancy package will cover me for 5 months, and then what?. I want to work and spend every day seeking employment without success. I've applied to Screwfix, Wickes, Debenhams, Sainsburys, to name a few, all online, filling in countless pages of questionaires, and dont even get the curtesy of a reply.
Quite honestly mate, you hav'nt got a clue, and your comments are insulting to individuals like me.
I've had one day off in 18 years, and have over a dozen references from Managing and Branch Directors, but this still dos'nt get me anywhere.

I have no clue what your industry or line of work is, so I wouldn't want to go suggesting strategies to you.

What I will say is that your situation is one where I do sympathize. There is still discrimination against age out there and it is a shame it masquerades as the old "too experienced" chestnut.... It sounds like you're doing all the right things and I'm sure you wont be too long without at least some interviews coming your way.

The middle of Xmas is never ideal with retailers as they've generally employed all of their seasonal staff and tend to freeze new joiners over this period. I think you'll find things will pick up around mid-January.

From the tone of your post, it sounds like you work locally.....Have you thought about applying for anything in the City?

What are you experienced in? Never know, there may be someone on here in the same/a similar industry that may be able to help.

Haven't had time to digest your previous post fully(or check the figures).Personally,I think welfare spending should be as high as it needs to be to ensure that as many people as possible are lifted out of the poverty trap.
We live in difficult times though and it seems right to me to review welfare spending(as well as all other areas of government expenditure).
Don't think we'll be hearing much more about this particular topic in the run up to Xmas(for obvious reasons)but Team Ed must be working on their strategy (and tactics)for when the Government introduces its bill in January.
I hope(and expect)the PLP to be instructed to vote against, or at least pile so many amendments onto the bill that it gets heavily watered down from the measures envisaged in GO's autumn statement.

Tosh tosh tosh tosh tosh!

Typical lefty comment! Why should everyone be lifted out of poverty by government "hand outs"? As far as I'm concerned, those hand outs come from my pocket, 40% no less!!! I don't want to help an Arabian woman with 18 children in a 6 bedroom house. I don't want to help a thieving crack addict living in a bedsit. I don't want to help a single mum with 8 children by 5 different Dad's in a 4 bedroom house.....

Sorry. We make decisions in life and unless that person has been brought up in seriously adverse conditions or with a disability to speak of, everyone should be accountable for their own actions and decisions. I didn't ask the single mum to open her legs to all these random guys, nor did I invite the Arabian woman to live in my country....I didn't buy the drugs for the addict either.

I find it just as hard as the next person to balance my household financially, and if I'm giving up half my monthly pay to the government, I want to see my money go to a better cause than helping out people who have made crap decisions with their life.

Why should everyone be lifted out of poverty by government "hand outs"? .

Do you want to live in a civilised society or not?
I've just given 5 euros to a guy selling Xmas bunches of flowers that I don't want but I hope will please Mrs BB.The bloke said he was unemployed and I believe him.(Earnings related benefits here stop completely after two years.After that you get nothing at all from the state unless you have dependents).
It's a tough old world out there as BBBL was saying.Thank God I'm not unemployed but as a freelance I've certainly been underemployed since September.
We're all feeling the pinch.Show some solidarity for those less well off.

Do you want to live in a civilised society or not?
I've just given 5 euros to a guy selling Xmas bunches of flowers that I don't want but I hope will please Mrs BB.The bloke said he was unemployed and I believe him.(Earnings related benefits here stop completely after two years.After that you get nothing at all from the state unless you have dependents).
It's a tough old world out there as BBBL was saying.Thank God I'm not unemployed but as a freelance I've certainly been underemployed since September.
We're all feeling the pinch.Show some solidarity for those less well off.

I have no problem with that. You gave some money to a chap you saw selling flowers who made the effort to get up and do a days work. Don't begrudge that in any way, shape or form. You are making a conscious decision to give him money because you sympathize with him in a way that any human being should and would do.

Would you go and give 5 Euros to a single mum standing at a bus stop smoking a pack of cigarettes with 4 screaming kids? It's the difference between giving to who you "feel" are deserving of help, and those who get help "by default"

What are you experienced in? Never know, there may be someone on here in the same/a similar industry that may be able to help.

22 years in Print, Production/Works Manager (titles that appear to have disappeared in recent years), and last 18 as Technical Sales Manager in the Self Adhesive Label manufacturing industry. Also Customer Services/Personnel and Account Management. Daily communication with customers on a 'face to face basis' plus e-mail and phone contact, dealing with Sales enquiries, problems, price support, organising sales campaigns/promotions, and building up relationships with clients.
So if anyone out there can help, then you know where to find me (on here!).

Would you go and give 5 Euros to a single mum standing at a bus stop smoking a pack of cigarettes with 4 screaming kids? It's the difference between giving to who you "feel" are deserving of help, and those who get help "by default"

Obviously not.
Nobody(not even those of us on the left)would deny that some people have abused (and continue to abuse) the benefits system.
However my understanding of the social contract that citizens make with the state, is that we pay our taxes(more or less willingly)and the state uses the revenue to finance essential government spending.We trust the government will spend the tax revenue wisely.If not, we have an opportunity to vote the national (or local) government out of office at the next election.

Back