• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Away attendances

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
How do you think our away attendances compare to years gone by? In the following scenario which happened in 1923, how do you think they would have compared.

Southend have just played a first round cup tie at home against poor non league opposition and they struggled, only managing to win 1-0 by a late penalty goal. They are booed off the field by their own fans and the performance is described as “Rock Bottom”. The season which started with high hopes is deteriorating badly and the disillusioned fans prefer to watch the reserve team than the first team.

In the second round they are drawn against a Non League East London side, but they switch the tie to Upton Park, West Ham to get a bigger attendance.

In these circumstances;

A) How many fans do you think we would take to Upton Park This season?

B) How many fans do you think we took in 1923?

I know the answer (approx. figure) to the second question and who ever gets closest gets a massive prize of “Green Rep” from me.

So what do you think?

DoDtS

Last edited:
In these circumstances;

About 6000

about 10,000

About 650

about 160

Last edited:
If the figure of 6000+ for Chelsea is to be believed then around that figure for todat.

For part 2 I'll ask Cricko as he was there and will have everybody's name and address who attended. :)

I would reckon about 500.

A) How many fans do you think we would take to Upton Park This season to watch a non-league side?

About 1500

Clapton were the Non League side it was Southends 2nd game in the fa cup although it was the 5th qualifying round
We won 3-1
losing 2-1 to Llanelli in the 6th Qualifying round

That was the 2nd season of Division 3 south and we finished 19th

(Losing the last game of the season 7-1 away at plymouth, having already conceded 8 at Northampton (who we also beat 5-1))
Average home attendance 5,831

Our home capacity was 7,000

(C) Robins excellent site and Cricko's diary

Last edited:
Clapton were the Non League side it was Southends 2nd game in the fa cup although it was the 5th qualifying round
We won 3-1
losing 2-1 to Llanelli in the 6th Qualifying round

That was the 2nd season of Division 3 south and we finished 19th

(Losing the last game of the season 7-1 away at plymouth, having already conceded 8 at Northampton (who we also beat 5-1))
Average home attendance 5,831

Our home capacity was 7,000

(C) Robins excellent site and Cricko's diary

Well spotted, one slight error our average gate was 7,000, capacity was said to be 23,000 but had braely been tested to 11,000.

the last mach before the Clapton game we played Portsmouth away and this is what the Southend Standard said about it:

Although Portsmouth were below their average form they had no difficulty in beating the United by three clear goals at Fratton park on Saturday. It was an inglorious display on a cold day and the match did not promise an incident worth quickening the pulse or rousing enthusiasm. One knows from experience that when a team has an easy task in front of them as the homesters had on Saturday the standard of football is frequently low. Southend especially the forwards and wing halves put up a much more innocuous exhibition than they had done previously this season. It is time that the side developed a little fire, dash and grit. Even if beaten they should show some of the fighting spirit of old time United elevens.
From the Southend Standard 29h November 1923

So the question is would you go away if we were playing so cr*pp?

DoDtS

That said Clapton were not a bad side, 23/24 they won the Fa Amatuer cup (equivalent to the Trophy, but I would say at that time a higher standard)
Also (according to Wiki ) In 1924-1925, three Clapton players were selected for the England national team.[1]

William Bryant
Stan Earle (later played for West Ham United)
Vivian Gibbins (selected twice)

WELL THE ANSWER IS IN 1923 WE TOOK AT LEAST 4,000 SEE BELOW.

Doesn't it make you feel proud to be a Shrimper, 85 years ago, despite playing a whole load of sh*te our boys and girls turned out in force.

When it was found that the Blues were destined to meet Clapton away from home in the fifth round, it was contemplated as a poor draw, for on their form against kings Lynn there was a possibility of their being beaten and a match at the Spotted Dog could only prove a heavy financial loss. As events turned out with the tie decided up west Ham’s ground at Boleyn Castle, it probably proved as ruminative as if it had been staged at the Kursaal. There was a surprisingly good gate of about £16,000people. Few clubs probably have such a loyal band of supporters as Southend and it was really amazing to see the number of local people present. In addition to train loads carried by the L. M. & S.R. Company hundreds journeyed down from the City and a low estimate of the Southend contingent was 4,000. Over 1,100 booked from Southend alone and it is estimated that the excursions carried 2,000. I noticed members of the Southend Corporation present representatives of the local medical profession and leaders of nearly every phase of life in the Borough. There were the horrid rattles, and in one instance I heard of a railway station bell having been borrowed for the afternoon. One party had a big black cat mascot/ There was no doubting the enthusiasm people and in the moment of victory they forgot the Kings Lynn fiasco. They made much noise however the United’s supporters were greatly outnumbered for the vast majority of the crowd was distinctly hostile to Southend and would dearly have loved to see the amateurs succeed.
From the Southend Standard 6th December 1923

So the winner is Ldnfatso, I'm sure he was taking the p*ss really, the prize was "Red Rep" wasn't it?

DoDtS

Blimey, I really didn't think that people travelled to away games much then.....

Yes it's suprising isn't it. I thought people woould watch first team one week the reserves the next both at home, but no, away travel was common. Cup was always special, but even for league games 2,000 to Gillingham on a good friday for instance, even last game of the season for a nothing game fans would travel from Swindon for instance.

DoDtS

Yes it's suprising isn't it. I thought people woould watch first team one week the reserves the next both at home, but no, away travel was common. Cup was always special, but even for league games 2,000 to Gillingham on a good friday for instance, even last game of the season for a nothing game fans would travel from Swindon for instance.

DoDtS

that's a really interesting statistic - to travel to Gillingham in those days - very few people own a car, & no dartford crossing.
any travel would have to go via london or did they put on ferries from the pier???
Imagine nowdays - train travel on a bank holiday

Back