• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
Is there an away game which you wished you hadn't gone to, or one that you can't believe that you actually went to the bother of going to?

For me I can't believe that I went to Burnley on 31st December 1994 in the Peter Taylor era and it was not a classic season, it had started with a 3-1 defeat and other memorable defeats that I had seen were 4-1 at Stoke and 5-0 at Port Vale.

Hope springs eternal and the young DTS and I woke early and looked out of the window at the snow, the media wasn't then as now but reports came in of matches being called off all over the place. We lived in Leicester at the time and you would think that it would be easier than from London but that was not the case and involved changes at Birmingham and Preston and the connection time tight to get back that night. So should we go? We looked at each other and of course we were going to go.

We made our way to the station and bought train tickets (no super advance tickets then). and made the cross country journey to New Street in a noisy two carriage train. No further news at Birmingham if the Burnley match was on so we continued to Preston. At Preston it was very bleak but asking locals about the game being on or off no-one seemed to have heard of Burnley. So we continued to Burnley station and frankly I put the chance of it being played at about 10%.

We arrived at Burnley and thought I would see people in claret and blue scarves either going towards or away from the ground but in all honesty it was virtually deserted so we made our way to Turf Moor. On arriving at the away turnstiles still there was no news if the game was on or off so we just waited sheltering where we could from the snow/sleet still coming down. Eventually the news broke the game was on and we made our way on to the away terracing.

There weren't many shrimpers there, most had more sense but then the might Blues came on the pitch, or to be more precise the mighty green and navy half shirts. We were wearing Burnleys rather fetching away kit, obviously we thought no point in sending the kit because it was bound to be off.

What better way to spend new years eve than watching this fixture we continued our excellent run of bad form by losing 5-1 with Roger Willis scoring our lone goal. It was a long way home after that, helped at first by the company of a few Shrimpers but a mad dash at Birmingham New Street saw us change platforms with seconds to spare and we were home in time to see the New Year in. Was it worth it..........................

So what's yours?

One that sticks in my mind is MK Donkeys away when they played at the Hockey Stadium. Ferking freezing and we lost.

You just beat me too it!! That Mk Dons game truly horrid, think even Bear Grylls would have thrown the towel in at that one! I get hyperthermia just at the recollection of it!!

Morecambe last season. Moved my son's first birthday party to the sunday and then had to go up and back on the saturday. Ridiculous considering you just knew it was Morecambe and doomed for defeat. Had to stop at various times on way home to sleep at service stations just to make it in one piece. All this tinged with the same feelings of ten years ago after Grimsby.

Once did Carlisle away, stayed up in Scotland for a weeks driving in the Highlands before coming home via Lincoln away. Nice touch.

I've written before on SZ about the futility of one particular match end of season match at Lincoln (it might have been Boston) during the Alan Little (or was it Rob Newman?) era. I won't say it was deadly dull but my life did flash before my eyes.

Don't know and don't care what the result was; I was just glad it was over.

Oxford away at the old Manor Ground when we had Mike Marsh et al, a relegation season and a 5-0 drubbing dished out that was the most passionless display I had witnessed from a Southend side.

The Manor still had fences up back then which the fans were trying to scale in order to get at the team. "You're not fit to wear the shirt" was the dominant chant. It was embarrassing.

1-6 away at Brentford, Gordon Barker ( also opener for Essex ) scoring our consolation. Late 50s early 60s, haven't got the book with me at present. Also 0-4 v Norwich at Carrow Road 1958, all goals coming very early in first half. Such fun.

One that sticks in my mind is MK Donkeys away when they played at the Hockey Stadium. Ferking freezing and we lost.
That is the only game I have ever left early. I think we were 1-0 down and they scored again at about 70 minutes so we left. I was so cold I had my scarf wrapped aorund my face trying to stop my nose from dropping off :omg:

That is the only game I have ever left early. I think we were 1-0 down and they scored again at about 70 minutes so we left. I was so cold I had my scarf wrapped aorund my face trying to stop my nose from dropping off :omg:

Didn't Shaun Goater score the opener? As it was down the road for me, I took my g/f at the time. She never came again :hilarious:

Oxford away at the old Manor Ground when we had Mike Marsh et al, a relegation season and a 5-0 drubbing dished out that was the most passionless display I had witnessed from a Southend side.

The Manor still had fences up back then which the fans were trying to scale in order to get at the team. "You're not fit to wear the shirt" was the dominant chant. It was embarrassing.

Yep one of the worst displays I have ever seen. The abuse the team got was incredible and it was not one or two people but the majority of the 400+ away fans. Normally I don't agree with abusing our players during a match but that was one exception. We should have lost by more than 5. You just knew we were going to be relegated that season and it was only September!
I have seen bigger defeats at Palace, Sunderland, Gillingham, Notts County, Swindon and plenty of other 5's but that Oxford match was worse than all of those.

Brentford in the FA Cup replay a few years back. Thank Christ the keeper was good or it'd be ten nil instead of two or whatever it was. First match on my own, the commotion at the home game made the bus ride interesting, even if it was only three stops, and it was bloody freezing to boot.

I did like the guy yelling to bring back the jazz on the way out though.

0-4 loss away to Hull in our most recent Championship appearance. Think Phil Brown was manager of Hull then. Don't think we had a shot on target and our first corner may have come in the last minute of injury time....!

I've written before on SZ about the futility of one particular match end of season match at Lincoln (it might have been Boston) during the Alan Little (or was it Rob Newman?) era. I won't say it was deadly dull but my life did flash before my eyes.

Don't know and don't care what the result was; I was just glad it was over.

Surely you mean Darlington away 2002?

Back