• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

AZ or not AZ ? That is the question

amsterdamer

I have lived in amsterdam for 16 years now except for 1 year in Finland (HJFK rule). As a life-long shrimper I have a natural inability to support big clubs. I loathe PSV and Feyenoord. I especially loathe Ajax. Nothing worse than happy Ajax fans. When I came here I remembered AZ 67 winning my subuteo eurpean cup twice. They were then a struggling club with gates to match Southend. Ideal for me. Now they have a new stadium, much bigger support and are dutch champions ! Dilema time for me. Am I allowed to still support them ? AZ Alkmaar are you too big for me ? Is this called Southend syndrom ?

Last edited:
Welcome to the board mate, having seen your earlier post on the Billy Best thread I guess we're of similar vintage.

If you are an exile there's no problem IMO of adopting another club as you don't lose the love of live sport wherever in the world you may be. It would also appear that AZ are developing along the lines that Ron Martin wants SUFC to aspire to.

Why not support Vollendam?
I remember a trip to their excellent stadium a few years back to see Ajax play.I was impressed by their fans and the ground where you could stand and watch the gamefrom the terraces.Not too far from Amsterdam and handy for tulips for your loved one :-)

I'd say that once you choose your club, even if it's an adopted team as an exile, you can't change it. If you've already nailed your colours to the AZ mast then that's it, you stick with them. Not as if you chose the champions at the time as a glory seeker but instead they've grown and developed during your time watching them. Put it this way, if that happened to Southend you wouldn't dump them would you?

Strange, but true...

I have lived in amsterdam for 16 years now except for 1 year in Finland (HJFK rule). As a life-long shrimper I have a natural inability to support big clubs. I loathe PSV and Feyenoord. I especially loathe Ajax. Nothing worse than happy Ajax fans. When I came here I remembered AZ 67 winning my subuteo eurpean cup twice. They were then a struggling club with gates to match Southend. Ideal for me. Now they have a new stadium, much bigger support and are dutch champions ! Dilema time for me. Am I allowed to still support them ? AZ Alkmaar are you too big for me ? Is this called Southend syndrom ?

Welcome to the Zone...you've raised a great point about 'Southend Syndrome.' Allow me just to bring in Libertine here...

I'd say that once you choose your club, even if it's an adopted team as an exile, you can't change it. If you've already nailed your colours to the AZ mast then that's it, you stick with them. Not as if you chose the champions at the time as a glory seeker but instead they've grown and developed during your time watching them. Put it this way, if that happened to Southend you wouldn't dump them would you?

...and just recount my experience of when we first gained promotion to 'Division Two' back in '91. Arriving in the West Stand for that first game against Bristol City to discover seats made me feel like I didn't belong in some way. It was a very strange feeling - especially after the pride in this great achievement. Despite still attending games (but not with the regularity of previous years) the feeling persisted and when I moved to Cornwall in early 1994, my games were few and far between for many years after. It was only when I went to an away game against Torquay in late 2003, shortly after Tilly and Brush were appointed, that I got the feeling of 'belonging' again. These guys played at the time I was going all over the place - Carlisle, Exeter, Mansfield etc - and I had a 're-connection.' I guess my point is - it's weird what can trigger a sense of not belonging at a club anymore and our experience of success did do that for me in '91. I never 'dumped' the club as such, but it took that 'backs to the wall' time in late '03 to really wake me up and love the club again, which was precipitated by the return of two ex-players whom I associated with times where I was much more 'emotionally' involved.

but it took that 'backs to the wall' time to really wake me up

Was that when Justin Fashanu was rumoured to be our new manager (as well as wanting to bring in Ian Bishop & a young Cashley Cole as his first 2 transfer deals??? ;) :net:

Welcome amsterdamer!

So AZ are enjoying some good times; that doesn't make you a glory fan, you're just reaping the rewards for sticking with them. Enjoy!

Back