• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No idea.

Um. Didn't think of that.

Had hoped for a solution that would lead to the thing being usable again, if only until September time when I upgrade.

The laptop I'm typing on at the moment is connected to a standard monitor so I'm sure the actual hardware will be ok (obv apart from the screen).

To return to the original topic, I can heartily endorse the motion of backing up one's files, as I appear to be royally buggered having not done so.

My laptop screen don't work. The laptop turns on, it works (I can see the power light and hear the thing) but the screen doesn't come on. Just satys black. I'm assuming it has something to do with the fact that I may have hit it a bit hard last week. May have knocked a wire loose or something.

If your warranty has expired remove the screen cover and check for loose connections.

If this doesn't work keep an eye on eBay. If you are lucky you will be able to pick up a cheap replacement screen. I managed to pick up a replacement screen for an IBM Thinkpad I had for £20 although most screens go for far more than this.

Fitting a new screen is pretty straightforward.

Last edited:
The laptop I'm typing on at the moment is connected to a standard monitor so I'm sure the actual hardware will be ok (obv apart from the screen).

indeed, it's a quick and simple way of finding out if it's your screen or your actual computer. my dad's old laptop had a broken screen so he just had it hooked up to a cheap monitor at home.

Ha ha! It's done! It's all done! 20,000 words in seven days! Ha ha! Done! No more cricket book! Woooooo!

*takes clothes off, runs round the streets of North London*

Which begs the question why it took so long first time around?

;)

I failed to heed the warnings and, this morning, lost 2 pretty much complete feature-length articles as well as some transcribed interviews that I also wiped from my dictaphone. Mine were basic Wordpad documents in a Rich Text Format... Don't suppose anybody knows anything about restoring those?

The poor or total lack of support you get with freeware/open source products is something that advocates tend not to talk about too much.

Its also not true as theres thousands of forums , free advice and email groups to choose from . Openoffice being a good example of this as well as any of the Linux distro's and i've come across plenty of people who you can email for assistance . They also want to know what went wrong so they can fix it for next time . Slippers problem could very well have just been such a degraded sctor on his HDD it totally corrupted the information which does happen (get the drive checked Slipp's ;) )

Back