• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shame about Barnard but the right decision! No real room for sentiment here as we learnt with Freddy to a degree sometimes you just can't recreate the past

Does Barrett count in that statement?

No surprise really but personally I am disappointed as after Eastwood’s return not really working out I was really hopping it would for Barnard. We do need pace up front though So hopefully this is making some space for such a signing.

Phil Brown has said in the echo that ''I can't afford to throw away all the qualities Adam Barrett has, and what he brings to this football club.'' ''I will be driving to Burton where Adam is currently staying on a course, to talk to him about his future.'' ''I'll know more about the situation once we've spoken, but I could well be bringing up the possibility of a coaching role as well.''

Barrett who had initially intended to retire at the end of the season, is now also keen to continue playing for the Shrimpers in League One next year.
No surprise there then. Most of us can see that AB will start next season alongside Bolger, and take it from there. He certainly looks fit and good enough for one last season in League One.

I saw enough from Ibenfeldt during his sub appearance at York away to realise he wasn't up to much. Spooned a couple of free headers straight up in the air. He might have been good on the deck but for a tall guy he was poor.

Could the same have been said about Bolger- and look at him now?

Could the same have been said about Bolger- and look at him now?

Bolger had youth and pedigree on his side. Ibenfeldt always seemed like a gamble and if he couldn't deal with some free headers then he clearly wasn't for us.

Mads was another Bilel in the sense of taking a gamble on a foreign player. I can't imagine he was on very much at all.

If it works out, great, we can make some money out of him. If not, no great loss as he hasn't cost us a lot.

Clifford made 10 appearances at Barnet and only scored one goal. I don't think he will come back to bite us. No surprises with these three and changes are needed to move forward next season.

It's for the best, I am sure 3 of them must cost us over 3.5k a week wages combined - that better of spend on a fast wide man & a quick forward who can take chances in front of the goal.

L2 is full of players who 'could player higher if..' but the 'if' is why they're in L2. Who knows why players like Clifford, and Sawyer before him, can be so promising, show flashes of real quality, but then slowly slip off the radar. Or why some, i.e. Kightly, struggle to break through at a club but excel elsewhere. I guess that's where managers earn their wages, working out who can cut it and who can't, for whatever reason.

Slightly gutted about Clifford as I know he is a quality player, I saw him play a few times for Chelsea reserves (captain) and he was different class, I wish hi the best though and I know someone will be getting a good player in him.

The other two guys, I don't think we'll miss.

Agreed. Clifford has a future and played well for us at the beginning of the season. Ibenfeldt looked good in pre-season as I recall after a shaky start. Someone in league 2 perhaps will pick up a great free in Clifford.
If it clears the decks for new signings in positions we need (up top), then all good.

Still think Barnard will have a couple of good seasons in league 2 if he gets a run of games going, be a good signing for someone I think.

Have Williams and Bridge been retained?

They both have options for another year in their contracts, so would guess they will be kept as they have potential and will be on low wages. No official news yet though.

No real surprise. Barnard is a big wage for very little. Clifford, I think we have better. Shame we never got to see Mads due to injuries.

Phil Brown has said in the echo that ''I can't afford to throw away all the qualities Adam Barrett has, and what he brings to this football club.'' ''I will be driving to Burton where Adam is currently staying on a course, to talk to him about his future.'' ''I'll know more about the situation once we've spoken, but I could well be bringing up the possibility of a coaching role as well.''

Barrett who had initially intended to retire at the end of the season, is now also keen to continue playing for the Shrimpers in League One next year.
No surprise there then. Most of us can see that AB will start next season alongside Bolger, and take it from there. He certainly looks fit and good enough for one last season in League One.

I guess how good that role is will depend on whether or not Coughlan moves on.

Three players released by Southend United

LEE Barnard, Conor Clifford and Mads Ibenfeldt have all been released by Southend United.

More...

Back