• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Barnet 0-1 Southend

Kim Mitten

First XI
Just got back, missed the goal as i was just sitting down, turned round and saw the net bulge and players celebrating.

Wasn't the greatest game but we won it.
Can't see why Eastwood's second was ruled out, Goater was at the back post and passed it BACK to Eastwood who tapped in, shocking decision.
Have to say though Barnet's disallowed goal also looked fine, so maybe the ref was evening it up.

Thought Barrett had a shocker, their number 7 totally outplayed him, he made some really bad errors, but came to the rescue twice with some great blocks.

Barnet should have led at half time, but thank god they couldn't shoot.
We were much better second half and i thought we'd get another one, Campbell-Ryce put in some great crosses, and Goater should have had two.
He shot straight at Flitney when all alone in the middle, then the keeper pulled off a great save from a Goater header, but it was straight at him.

Alright game, good result, hope for a good draw in the 2nd round.

First half we were dire. The very early goal seemed to make us sit back. Norville and Hatch gave Edwards and Barrett a torrid time and I don't think either of them won anything in the air in the first 45. I imagine words were said at half time because, especially for the first 15 minutes of the Second half or so we were completely changed, rampant in fact. Ross Flitney was absolutley superb though and managed to keep us out 4 times in as many minutes, starting off after JCR produced some stunning magic on the right before finding Goater unmarked who volleyed straight at Flitney.

In the FA Cup though a win is a win and a potential banana skin has been surpassed. Bring on a home game against non league opposition in the Second Round please!

Bart, one decent save and one decent claim aside was shaky. Quite what the hell he was doing when he came charging out to the 18 yard line only to miss the ball and clobber Hatch I don't know. He very nearly threw the ball in his own net in the Second half under no pressure whatsoever as well, only escaping thanks to Edwards' block on the line.

Barrett struggled again and was caught out more than a couple of times, although the defence on the whole didn't deal with the Barnet forwards as well as we'd expect.

JCR put in, I imagine, his best Shrimpers performance so far. As with the whole team he was quiet in the First Half, but he was superb in the Second. His ball control at times is frightening and he was turning Gross inside and out with ease. It is interesting how much more service the team give him than they do to Cole on the other side though.

Barnet clearly had instructions to stop Maher playing, and it worked. As every time he tried to get on the ball he was met with a sea of black shirts.

Freddy, as Tilly said, worked his nuts off. He was inspirational with his work rate and it was just surprising he got just the one goal as he deserved more.

Finally, thanks once again to a crap set of officials who tried their hardest to ruin the game.

Oh, and who else here was frisked as they entered the ground!? What the hell was all that about!?  
suspect.gif

laugh.gif

I couldn't believed when I was body-searched before entering the ground!!!
Even if someone had got a bomb into the ground I doubt it could have looked much worse!
laugh.gif

Seriously though, that linesman would have saved time if he just left his flag up. Every time the ball went forward it was up
mad.gif

Pretty much agree with that Kim Mitten. We were poor first half, Barnet should have equalised, but 2nd half was good from both sides and it was entertaining to watch. We could have scored 4 or 5 had it not been for the Barnet keeper Ross Flitney. To be fair to the lino, most of the times he put his flag up Eastwood or JCR were offside, although the first goal should've stood because Guttridge's volley came off the goalkeeper. Just a few points to add:

Bart looked very shaky. He made a good save in the first half but that's the only positive thing I can say about him. Had it not been for Barrett he would have been extremely embarassed in the 71st minute after coming for a cross and fumbling it behind him, a rea heart-in-mouth moment. Darryl's return can't come sooner and I'm not exactly looking forward to seeing Bart against Trundle next week.

As has been mentioned, the Barnet forwards got the better of Barrett and Edwards on too many occasions. The number 10 was giving them the run around although thankfully finishing was missing from his list of attributes.

Cole had another quiet game, except for one lovely dummy in the 2nd half which allowed him to burst into the penalty area and pass it to JCR, whose shot was blocked by Eastwood, he did very little and whenever he got the ball in 1st half he seemed to lose it straight away. Looks too lightweight.

JCR was my Motm, worked his little socks off and in the 2nd half was our best attacking player. Guttridge, Maher and Eastwood played well too and god knows how Goater didn't score.

The away support was absoloutely superb (in the terrace at least). The atmosphere in the terrace was excellent, non-stop singing despite a poor first half. Outnumbered the home fans and it showed. The drum really helped.
biggrin.gif

Indeed we should of scored more goals but there keeper was very good. Didnt see much of the game as I was at the back of the terrace and it was packed!!
rock.gif
suspect.gif

Doh! Saw the result when I woke up this morning and thought that we'd obviously put in a professional away performance in a tricky cup tie. Come on here and read "Barrett shaky" and "Bart dodgy"

Oh well. All about winning really. Loving the morning football banter though. Not sure what I'm going to do when the 12:00 English KOs come on at 5 in the morning!!

wow.gif

Anyhow, might have to get Bluesworld in time for Swansea next week, particularly if we win and that's the only way to get highlights!

SIW
(the artist formerly known as sufcintheprem)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Nov. 06 2005,00:01)]What happened?
Not much really, he got flagged offside, did a few tricks with the ball then just booted it out of play, a needless yellow card and the first of his Southend Career.

One Yellow and one red now.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kim Mitten @ Nov. 06 2005,00:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Nov. 06 2005,00:01)]What happened?
Not much really, he got flagged offside, did a few tricks with the ball then just booted it out of play, a needless yellow card and the first of his Southend Career.

One Yellow and one red now.
Referee was a joke, every decision went there way, anyway doesnt matter know we are in the 2nd round.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Nov. 06 2005,00:58)]Oh dear, his fi°rst yellow and red. Didn't reallise thst@
The red was against Huddersfield a few weeks back.

I've been lurking for a few weeks now, and people normally do ratings after a game, so in the absence of anyone else's efforts here's my first attempt at them:

Griemink 6 - flapped at a couple, but dominated his area and has now equalled Darryl's tally of clean sheets this season in just 2 games. If Darryl had made his two saves the under 8s would still be drooling.
Hunt 6 - looked below par
Wilson 6 - fairly solid, thought he'd been done like a kipper at one stage, but then I realised it was Cole who'd been done and that our left-back was strangely AWOL
Barrett 6 - struggled with Norville backing into him all game
Edwards 6 - not as assured as in recent months
Maher 5 - shocking first half when he wanted time on the ball which just wasn't there and he struggled on a slippery surface repeatedly getting caught in possession in a most un-Maher like way
Guttridge 6 - not as influential as in recent weeks
Cole 6 - a sublime dummy was only thwarted when he was dragged back by a professional foul that the clueless Armstrong missed, he threatened only in stages
Campbell-Ryce 6 - promised more than he delivered, trying to beat his man too many times and in the wrong area of the field. On one occasion Eastwood was screaming out for a through ball but JCR tried to beat his man when a simple pass would have wrapped the game up
Goater 6 - feed the goat and he will score? Was fed twice but the keeper denied him, otherwise linked up well when given the service
Eastwood 7 - lively throughout

A professional performance from the Shrimpers in which no-one particularly stood out. But for a couple of "interesting" decisions from the linesman, a couple of which were correct, the scoreline would have been far more comprehensive. Southend seemingly had a spare gear if necessary.

Doh! Beaten to it by fbm's account. Mind you it seems we did at least watch the same game.

We've had some pretty poor refs in the past few weeks, but I thought this ref was outdone by the curious decisions of his linesman in the second half...

But as people have said, at least we're in the next round. A nice non-league side at home will do fine!
biggrin.gif

I didn't think the ref was too bad, a couple of bad decisions but everyone makes mistakes. We should've had a penalty though when Guttridge was elbowed.

Back