• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Barnet 1-0 Southend United

My thoughts. Great away support but a bit fractured. Probably not helped by not looking like we could or would score a goal for the first 50 or 60 minutes.

It's frustrating to see Barnet players and their fans celebrating like they have won the world cup but have beaten a tired and strikerless side rather fortuitously twice in a fee days.

As for the away end and facilities.

The stadium is near quite literally nothing. Just a very soulless place.

The bar had like 3 staff serving beer for about 500+ and was embarrassingly poor.

The food queue was horrible. No burgers or pies etc. Just sausages in buns that ran out just as I'd got to the front after queuing for 30 mins. This was just on the stroke of halftime and again just 2 staff.

When you have a large away support it would be wise to stock up and get extra staff. It really was a complete shambles, so much so, that it almost made the west stand bar seem well run.

The day finished off around Whitechapel and a curry down brick lane.

Good away day where the football wasnt ideal.

Please sign two strikers and a decent right winger.

Unfortunately, sandat and Vilhette are not the answer.

After all that Barnet whinging about tickets on Boxing Day they then go and prove what s*** little club they are. As you say two staff for the kiosk. Forget the bar and one over crowded toilet.

I'd already taken the hip flask as I don't do cash only bars but would have got food. In the end I'm glad I never gave them an extra penny and that will be for ever more. In fact I'll put them together with Boreham Wood and Wealdstone in Londons most boring area, as clubs that don't deserve my financial support.

Well we have survived and I for one was grateful to go and watch my team. Although disappointed I thought we should have at the very least come home with a point. The first half was just so boring and it didn’t help that people were standing in the aisles and hence unable to see when the ball came down our end. I brought seats purposely in the first few rows because as much as I would have love to stand unfortunately it becomes too much. I am all for people that want to stand (as I used to many years ago) but please do so further back and not near the front. There was one gentleman who was on the 3rd or 4th row who stood the whole time and the young lad behind (who was about 6) struggle to see.

I mentioned only before the game how long it would be before people started turning on the team if we don’t start getting results and I heard loud and clear in the stand a particular guy who constantly swore and belittled a couple of the players (mainly Bridge & Sandat).
Let’s give it time and hopefully some new signings.
Less said about the game the better really but the second half we had them rattled and could easily have snatched the game.
It’s plain to see we are in desperate need of a striker and fingers crossed now we are where we are things will change.

Well we have survived and I for one was grateful to go and watch my team. Although disappointed I thought we should have at the very least come home with a point. The first half was just so boring and it didn’t help that people were standing in the aisles and hence unable to see when the ball came down our end. I brought seats purposely in the first few rows because as much as I would have love to stand unfortunately it becomes too much. I am all for people that want to stand (as I used to many years ago) but please do so further back and not near the front. There was one gentleman who was on the 3rd or 4th row who stood the whole time and the young lad behind (who was about 6) struggle to see.

I mentioned only before the game how long it would be before people started turning on the team if we don’t start getting results and I heard loud and clear in the stand a particular guy who constantly swore and belittled a couple of the players (mainly Bridge & Sandat).
Let’s give it time and hopefully some new signings.
Less said about the game the better really but the second half we had them rattled and could easily have snatched the game.
It’s plain to see we are in desperate need of a striker and fingers crossed now we are where we are things will change.
It's interesting that we had a few serial abusers 'sitting' behind us. I'm not sure they actually meant some of their chants as booze may have helped them along at times.

I think you should start the 'new' 2024 fans chant though @Tinks. When we are constantly attacking and really putting teams under the cosh, I want to see you giving it large to the song........... 'Sit down if you love Southend, sit down if you love Southend...' it could really catch on.:Winking:

I can't understand the opinions of people with such pessimistic a view point on the game. It was a drab and boring first half I agree but in the second half they were the superior team and it was only for the lack of a proven goal scorer, and dodgy officials, that they didn't come away with one if not three points. Maher looked disappointed at the end and applauded the fans on the way off the pitch, what more should he have done? To come away from the two games with no points surely would have been demoralising for him and the players knowing one player up front would have made such a difference. It's only been days since the embargo was lifted, give him a bit more time before criticising him.

After all that Barnet whinging about tickets on Boxing Day they then go and prove what s*** little club they are. As you say two staff for the kiosk. Forget the bar and one over crowded toilet.

I'd already taken the hip flask as I don't do cash only bars but would have got food. In the end I'm glad I never gave them an extra penny and that will be for ever more. In fact I'll put them together with Boreham Wood and Wealdstone in Londons most boring area, as clubs that don't deserve my financial support.
Assuming the opposite is interesting, I guess you can add Underhill to boring. Nowhere near anything 'interesting.'
But I agree about the facilities. I could whinge long and loud about how they treat(ed) media along with others with similar experiences.

You said "give him a bit more time before criticising him." How can you even suggest that he could be criticised after what he's had to contend with and he hasn't yet had a chance to add further to the squad? The game, especially the first half, wasn't the best but considering the players available it wasn't surprising and not Maher's fault.
Hi mate, I read that as being a ironic side swipe at those who were suggesting/giving Maher stick. I'm sure Green Wizard will qualify.

Nailed on 😂

Don’t tell the bookies, but last two games Brooklyn has been incredible odds for first scorer & anytime scorer. 33/1 for first scorer today. Well worth a look if he’s starting.
Called it 😫

I moved from Sandat to Kabongolo at ridiculous 28/1 1st and 14/1 anytime for a 6’8 bloke playing upfront for the home team.

Bet365 are playing with my head at this point I might just delete the app lol

Called it 😫

I moved from Sandat to Kabongolo at ridiculous 28/1 1st and 14/1 anytime for a 6’8 bloke playing upfront for the home team.

Bet365 are playing with my head at this point I might just delete the app lol

Yep, I backed him again yesterday at the same odds 😂 (the bookies have got to realise at some point, right?)

Frustratingly, I normally have GSM as my anytime scorer, but didn’t yesterday 🙄

When I heard Brooklyn had a header straight to the keeper and an effort cleared off the line, it did make me wonder why I bother with betting at all.

Still, I’ll do the same again next Saturday, as long as he’s starting and the bookies haven’t rumbled our little scam.

Back