• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle of the 80s films - Blue Velvet v The Goonies

Blue Velvet v Goonies

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A note from Shrimpero:

From the opening scenes of 'Blue Velvet' - including a close-up shot of a disembodied human ear lying in grass - you realise that you're in for a very different type of film. "Yep, it's an ear alright," confirms a police officer to its finder, Jeffrey (Kyle Maclachlan), as we enter the weird world of David Lynch in this, his precursor to 'Twin Peaks' territory with its subtext of the dark underbelly nestling below the apparently bland surface of white picket fence and apple pie America. This film has a great fascination for me - due to its marriage of the music, the bizarre, the downright dangerous and the alluring yet unnerving characters that inhabit its cast. Dennis Hopper was born to play Frank Booth, the evil yet uber-cool sadistic sociopath who preys on the oh so sexy nightclub singer Dorothy Vallens (Isabella Rosselini). Jeffrey, pursuing his compulsive curiosity, embarks on a terrifying roller-coaster ride as a result of his efforts to find the owner of the ear and save Dorothy in the process.

There are nods towards 'The Wizard Of Oz' in the battle of good against evil and we never know for sure whether Jeffrey or Dorothy will finally escape Frank's clutches. There are unsettling semi-humourous scenes - where Frank offers Jeffrey a beer then beats him up for his choice of Bud over Blue Riband and where the camp drugs overlord and mime singer Ben sends Frank into maudlin madness with his rendition of 'In Dreams.' Lynch's depiction of this strange, dark world is tinged with menace and foreboding. I won't spoil it for those of you who haven't seen it yet - but 'Blue Velvet' is a stand alone masterpiece and remains one of my all-time favourite films. However, Tarquin Fauntleroy is quite possibly the finest poster on any fan forum anywhere in the world and if he likes 'Goonies' - which I've not seen - then I'm sure it's a spiffing good watch too. Let the great ShrimperZone voting public decide and above all, remember Frank's advice - "Bud is sh*t!"

Again, very different films; One a kids film that holds great memories for anyone of our generation, the other a very adult film and (IIRC) my introduction to David Lynch's body of works.

If this battle is all about "trashy" 80's films then it has to be The Goonies.

Ahh, the Goonies. When I watched it when it first came out, it had everything. Booby traps, adventure, a pirate ship, villains, some ugly ****ed up freak, fat kid humiliation and a victory for the good guys.

The template for Shrimperzone is revealed.......

A note from Shrimpero:

From the opening scenes of 'Blue Velvet' - including a close-up shot of a disembodied human ear lying in grass - you realise that you're in for a very different type of film. "Yep, it's an ear alright," confirms a police officer to its finder, Jeffrey (Kyle Maclachlan), as we enter the weird world of David Lynch in this, his precursor to 'Twin Peaks' territory with its subtext of the dark underbelly nestling below the apparently bland surface of white picket fence and apple pie America. This film has a great fascination for me - due to its marriage of the music, the bizarre, the downright dangerous and the alluring yet unnerving characters that inhabit its cast. Dennis Hopper was born to play Frank Booth, the evil yet uber-cool sadistic sociopath who preys on the oh so sexy nightclub singer Dorothy Vallens (Isabella Rosselini). Jeffrey, pursuing his compulsive curiosity, embarks on a terrifying roller-coaster ride as a result of his efforts to find the owner of the ear and save Dorothy in the process.

There are nods towards 'The Wizard Of Oz' in the battle of good against evil and we never know for sure whether Jeffrey or Dorothy will finally escape Frank's clutches. There are unsettling semi-humourous scenes - where Frank offers Jeffrey a beer then beats him up for his choice of Bud over Blue Riband and where the camp drugs overlord and mime singer Ben sends Frank into maudlin madness with his rendition of 'In Dreams.' Lynch's depiction of this strange, dark world is tinged with menace and foreboding. I won't spoil it for those of you who haven't seen it yet - but 'Blue Velvet' is a stand alone masterpiece and remains one of my all-time favourite films. However, Tarquin Fauntleroy is quite possibly the finest poster on any fan forum anywhere in the world and if he likes 'Goonies' - which I've not seen - then I'm sure it's a spiffing good watch too. Let the great ShrimperZone voting public decide and above all, remember Frank's advice - "Bud is sh*t!"

Thanks for putting this up for me earlier today, Naps. I note that BV is currently taking one hellluva beating. Where are Frank's fans when you need them? :stunned:

Back