• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Battle Of The Horror Films Rd 13

Round 13 (unlucky for some?)

• Psycho

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • The Wickerman

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MK Shrimper

Striker
A TITANIC battle to kick us off today. Quite simply, this should obviously be the final ;)

We have Harry's Psycho v my very own The Wickerman.

May little baby Jeebus guide your mouse pointer to the correct choice.....

Where to start with The Wickerman?

Well, Film magazine Cinefantastique described it as "The Citizen Kane of Horror Movies", and in 2004 the magazine Total Film named The WickerMan the sixth greatest British film of all time.

The film starts with Sgt Neil Howie (Edward Woodward) called to the remote Hebridean Island of Summerisle after the disappearance of young Rowan Morrison. As a devout Christian, Howie is disgusted by the pagan lifestyle and rituals on Summerisle and he becomes convinced that Rowan has been the victim of human sacrifice.

However the film takes a far darker turn.....

How can we forget Britt Ekland as beautiful Willow, tempting Howie with her erotic dancing (schwing!) - ok it wasn't her @rse, but blimey!

Horror stalwart Christopher Lee as Lord Summerisle. The chilling Middle English folk-song "Sumer Is Icumen In" sung at the end of the film...

A brilliant film. Let's quickly brush over the terrible remake starring Nicholas Cage and consider one of British cinema's finest flicks!

This is such a hard call ... and i seem to have been awfully mean to MK lately

** BLUEBLOOD runs away sniggering **

You wait, I'll set Mrs MK on you Saturday :D

doll.jpg

Wicker man all the way , plus the extended edition with Brit Ecklends arse double well makes it all worth it .

Mind you the subtile understones make it a fair deeper film then Psycho

Wicker Man is one of those films I just don't get? Watched it a couple of times, and it just strikes me as a garbled mess of ideas thrown at a page by some stoners and art students (and I was once one of those two so I should know). Maybe you had to watch it at a young age, but for me its merely an overrated B-movie.

Whereas 'Psycho' introduced themes that films dared not do at the time (the notion that people had affairs, killing off the 'hero' within the first hour, a score which is at times essentially a mere three or four notes, letting your imagination do the hard work and never showing the violence, making the most of B&W film at the end of its lifespan, hints at necrophilia and an ending that's genuinely more creepy IMHO than anything that's come since).

I've obstained from some of these polls as I prefer horror films with a psychological aspect as opposed to just a general sadist hack and slash affair that modern ones have degenerated into, but for me 'Psycho' is the very epitome of the genre...

Wicker Man is one of those films I just don't get? Watched it a couple of times, and it just strikes me as a garbled mess of ideas thrown at a page by some stoners and art students (and I was once one of those two so I should know). Maybe you had to watch it at a young age, but for me its merely an overrated B-movie.

Whereas 'Psycho' introduced themes that films dared not do at the time (the notion that people had affairs, killing off the 'hero' within the first hour, a score which is at times essentially a mere three or four notes, letting your imagination do the hard work and never showing the violence, making the most of B&W film at the end of its lifespan, hints at necrophilia and an ending that's genuinely more creepy IMHO than anything that's come since).

I've obstained from some of these polls as I prefer horror films with a psychological aspect as opposed to just a general sadist hack and slash affair that modern ones have degenerated into, but for me 'Psycho' is the very epitome of the genre...

Essentially the Wikcerman is about people being able to live in the way they wish , the Edward Woodward figure was diliberatly depicted as an other bearing authoritaive type who was essentially lead to .. the outcome of teh film by breaking down the perceptions and even worse granting him freedoms (remember he could have left anytime) from what is deemed teh authority of society. Plus theres a ton of esocteric symbolism (everything frmo Bee's to teh wickerman himself and fertility rites etc

Psychos really just about a guy with mother issues

Such a shame that these two are drawn against each other in the 1st round, this should be worthy of a semi final at least.

Wicker Man is a great film and under normal voting conditions would get my vote.

However Psycho is an absolute classic of the horror genre, tautly directed as ever by Hitchcock, although filmed in black & white to me this just adds to the dramatic effect of the whole film. Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates was stand out and I don't think he ever reached the same heights as an actor again.

And who can forget the classic shower scene?

Psycho-shower-scream.jpg

Can't disagree Harry, while lesser films get through, one of these will fall at the first post :(

Damn that Napster!

Both exceptional movies and true classics in their own right! It is a shame they have been drawn togeather but hey more chance of my choice winning outright. :)

Have gone for Psycho. Hitchcock in all his movies manages to create a type of suspense that few Directors could or can master. Psycho is no exception and the musical score / soundtrack just adds to the tenseness of it all. You only need to see the shower scene once for it to remain in your mind forever and it still to this day sends shivers down my spine. Not bad for a film shot nearly fifty years ago:clap:

Bit of a bump and a final plea for Shrimperzone to see the genius in The Wickerman. Please! :(

I asked Blueblood to do a recount but unfortunately not even he could pervert the poll to let The Wickerman through :(

Well done H, Psycho slashes into the last 16 dressed as a woman.....

Back