• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle of the Horror Films - SF2

SF2

• The Shining (MrB)

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • The Omen (swanseashrimper)

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Napster

No ⭐
The Shining (MrB)

versus

The Omen (swanseashrimper)

Could have been the final. 70's classics and still relevant and chilling.

No need for a sales pitch on either count here, most people know both films well enough and can make their own decisions.

Both awesome films, Shining edges it for me but then I would say that. If it does lose then at least it's to a worthy adversary.

The Shining has more depth, better performances and script and its atmosphere keeps it effective even today. Omen seems quite tame nowadays and some of the set-pieces (e.g. priest's demise) are quite clumsy in their execution.

The Shining has more depth, better performances and script and its atmosphere keeps it effective even today. Omen seems quite tame nowadays and some of the set-pieces (e.g. priest's demise) are quite clumsy in their execution.

Have you seen the Kubrick doc on the making of the Shining by his daughter? Fascinating stuff. I can see why Kubrick's a love him or hate him director.

More info about the production

A few exterior shots were done at Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood in Oregon. The Timberline Lodge requested Kubrick change the sinister Room 217of King's novel to 237, so customers would stay in their own room 217 fearlessly.

The door that Jack breaks down with the axe near the end of the movie was a real door. Kubrick originally used a fake door, made of a weaker wood, but Jack Nicholson, who had worked as a volunteer fire marshal, tore it down too quickly.

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, The Shining holds the record for the film with most retakes of a single scene (with spoken dialogue) at 127 takes. The participant in those retakes was Shelley Duvall.

The opening panorama shots were used by Ridley Scott for the closing moments of the original cut of the film Blade Runner

Kubrick's first choice for the role of Jack Torrance was always Jack Nicholson, but he did consider Robert De Niro (who claims the movie gave him nightmares for a month)

And an interesting solution to the final riddle:

As with some of his other movies, Kubrick ends The Shining with a powerful visual puzzle that forces the audience to leave the theater asking, "What was that all about?"The Shining ends with an extremely long camera shot moving down a hallway in the Overlook, reaching eventually the central photo among 21 photos on the wall. The caption reads: "Overlook Hotel-July 4th Ball-1921." The answer to this puzzle, which is a master key to unlocking the whole movie, is that most Americans overlook the fact that July Fourth was no ball, nor any kind of Independence day, for native Americans; that the weak American villain of the film is the re-embodiment of the American men who massacred the Indians in earlier years; that Kubrick is examining and reflecting on a problem that cuts through the decades and centuries

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, The Shining holds the record for the film with most retakes of a single scene (with spoken dialogue) at 127 takes.[/B] The participant in those retakes was Shelley Duvall.

Haven't seen the documentary but know about the facts.

I've had set-ups while shooting when I thought I might end up breaking the record!!!!

During the 127 takes, Kubrick had Duvall in tears. She wanted to leave the production. He refused to clearly state what was wrong with the takes... AND he (reportedly) ended up using one of the earlier takes.

Has to be The Omen IMHO. The Shining is so far detached from the Stephen King book he disowned himself from it.

A very worthy semi (and I see Napster picked the easy semi... LOL!), or indeed a worthy final.

Shining edges it for me... just. Both excellent, suspensful, films.

:clap:

Crikey, close call. Expected that though. Going to be a very tough final!

Back