• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle of the Sitcoms - Quarter Final No 2

Which Sitcom ??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BLUEBLOOD

Moderator of Moderators
Hang onto your hats folks, this is going to be immense

Blackadder (MK Shrimper) vs Fawlty Towers (statski77)

People of Shrimperzone hear my call.

Blackadder: 4 series of absolute comedy genius. Ok, ok the first series was not as good, but it must of had something to spawn 3 series of genius and a few specials for charidee.

The cream of UK comedy in every series at the top of their form: Rowan Atkinson, Hugh Laurie, Stephen Fry, Miranda Richardson, Tony Robinson, Rik Mayall etc, etc, etc.

The blend of Richard Curtis/Ben Elton/Rowan Atkinson was comedy magic, and as good as Fawlty Towers was, it wasn't Blackadder.

An example line:

Blackadder: We live in an age where illness and deformity are commonplace and yet, Ploppy, you are without a doubt the most repulsive individual I have ever met. I would shake your hand but I fear it would come off.

And who can better this insult?

George: Do you think he's a genius?

Blackadder: No sir, I do not. Unless, of course, the definition of genius in his ridiculous dictionary is 'a fat dullard or wobble-bottom; a pompous *** with sweaty dewflaps.

Last edited:
4-8? Shrimperzone?

Come on now, the story line of Fawlty Towers was identical in every episode! Basil trying to hide something from Sybil, Polly admirably failing to help him, stereotype Manuel getting abused, "Meester Fawlty, meester Fawlty!" :zzzzz:

Blackadder blended history and brilliant comedy. Who can forget the final episode of Blackadder goes Forth where they went over the top and were cut down by german machine gun bullets, and the picture faded to a field of poppies. Even as I type that, I get shivers down my spine.

Got to agree with Mk here. As good as FT was it was the same theme throughout. Blackadder blended comedy and history and I still enjoy watching it now. I don't get the same feeling with FT.

Thing is I like about Fawlty Towers is the series was kept short and sweet, Cleese resisted the temptation to just keep rolling out series after series. Some comedies just kept churning stuff out time and time again and subsequintly the later stuff was a bit pants.

COME ON FT, AND DONT MENTION THE WAR!!

Thing is I like about Fawlty Towers is the series was kept short and sweet, Cleese resisted the temptation to just keep rolling out series after series. Some comedies just kept churning stuff out time and time again and subsequintly the later stuff was a bit pants.

COME ON FT, AND DONT MENTION THE WAR!!

But that didn't happen with Blackadder did it Mr Statski? Blackadder Goes Forth kept up the class and as I said previously, blended incredible humour with tragic, heart rending pathos.

4-8? Shrimperzone?

Come on now, the story line of Fawlty Towers was identical in every episode! Basil trying to hide something from Sybil, Polly admirably failing to help him, stereotype Manuel getting abused, "Meester Fawlty, meester Fawlty!" :zzzzz:

Blackadder blended history and brilliant comedy. Who can forget the final episode of Blackadder goes Forth where they went over the top and were cut down by german machine gun bullets, and the picture faded to a field of poppies. Even as I type that, I get shivers down my spine.

...and tears to my eyes!

This vote is a Travesty of justice so far..... Check the link out I posted earlier and see the sense in voting for .....

Fawlty Towers.

Ok Paul ..;)

Not many shows would beat Blackadder for me.

John Cleese is a hero of mine but alot of people have mentioned "don't mention the war" episode to fight the FT cause in this competition and not a lot else. As funny as that episode is I could sit here all day and recount ball-bouncingly funny Blackadder moments, in fact I could use that as a form of torture to any anti-Blackadder fans.

So please accept my ap-o-logies FT fans ;)

Ok, ok the first series was not as good, but it must of had something to spawn 3 series of genius and a few specials for charidee.

I wondered what that "something" must have been myself when my girlfriend made me sit through a few episodes of it the other night after she opened her birthday box set. We skipped to Series 2 by the 3rd episode for fear of going deaf, blind and brain dead...

I wondered what that "something" must have been myself when my girlfriend made me sit through a few episodes of it the other night after she opened her birthday box set. We skipped to Series 2 by the 3rd episode for fear of going deaf, blind and brain dead...

More tactical voting eh? I'm on to you people....

Back