• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle of the Sitcoms - Round One (Heat 4)

Which is the better sitcom ??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BLUEBLOOD

Moderator of Moderators
The first "mega-clash"

Porridge (Southminster Shrimper) vs Bottom (Shrimpboy)

I can see this one being tighter than a gnats chuff !!!!!!

Its too hard!!! Too hard!!!! argggghhhhhhhh!

I will get back to ya!

EDIT: having slept on it i have gone for porridge - just due to the genius of Ronnie!!

Last edited:
Have gone with Porridge on this one (only because Richard Beckinsale was so gorgeous) and I am a big Ronnie Barker fan and it one of these classics that you can watch over again
Bottom I can only take in small doses

Interestingly, and proving that comedy is a hugely subjective business, this one could not be simpler for me. Porridge was brilliant, clever, well acted, still fresh today, and showcases the huge versatility of Barker.

Bottom is self-indulgent, slapstick tripe.

An absolute no-brainer for me... extra helpings of Porridge all the way.

Matt

This really ought not be close at all. Bottom was good, but Porridge was truly great. Certainly one of the top ten British sitcoms of all time.

Pineapple chunks anyone? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44CiUH1KPr4&feature=related

Please vote for the timeless classic double act below, PORRIDGE....

porridge_1_396x222.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to vote Bottom seeing as I still can recite large chunks of the script, although a shame these two had to be drawn together, a worthy contest for the end of the competition I'd say!

Bottom was to me, a poor attempt at the "Young Ones a bit grown up" it never really got my attention. (As for Edmondson's complete submission to the c**p standard sitcom
template, Teenage Kicks , the less said the better)
Porridge , however was classic comedy only tainted by the follow up series Going Straight

This is no contest for me. Despite being a fan of many similar comedies, I could never quite get into Bottom. How many times can hitting someone with a frying pan continue to make you laugh..?

Porridge all the way.

Never got into Porridge. I think I was a bit too young - ala Dad's Army etc. Classics to some, not to me.

Back