• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle of the Sitcoms - Round One (Heat 7)

Which MEGA sitcom ??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Most people have used "don't mention the war" as their reason for voting FT, but how about the scene where Fawlty attacks his car with a branch?

I remember being in absolute hysterics when I first saw that.

Of the two though i voted for Young Ones because...well...I had to vote for one of them.

The Young Ones would win against most sitcoms i think but it has got a duff draw here. I can't possibly vote for anything other than Fawlty Towers here. Comedy perfection i think.

Fawlty Towers has to be a decent pick to win this whole competition. A show that is cited as an influence to more writers of stand-up than probably any other, a show that is still given prime-time BBC One repeats every couple of years because of how well loved it is and, frankly, a show that is still just very, very funny.

last attempt

Shameless nicked from the BBC site
It was the style and the characterization of The Young Ones, rather than its stories, which was entirely new. Never before had violence of such degree, squalor, physical foulness, blood, sex and death, all been used as such a regular part of a flagship comedy programme.

It was, like Not The Nine O'Clock News, a signal to the old guard that comedy was going in a different direction, and it wasn't going to be comfy. Even the musical interludes - which had featured in other shows such as The Goons - were harder, with bands like Madness, and Motorhead performing.

The Young Ones eventually exited in typically surreal fashion, stealing a bus and driving it over a cliff after a haphazard armed robbery and allowing its stars to move on to other things.

Attempting to get the "cute ickle fluffy animal" vote Manuels hamster was a Rat...Vyvyans was a proper hamster (although a bit on the 'ard side)

and, look at the list of performers who appeared as guests in the show (thans Wiki)
[edit] Guest appearances
Keith Allen - as Pestilence in Interesting
Mark Arden - as policeman #1 in Boring; as cornflakes box dad in Bomb; as gatecrasher #1 in Interesting; as gravedigger #1 and police victim #1 in Flood; as headless ghost #1 in Cash; as spy #1 in Nasty; as manure deliverer #1 in Sick
Roger Ashton-Griffiths - as Orgo the devil in Boring
Helen Atkinson-Wood - as the woman in the painkiller advert in Nasty
Nicholas Ball - as Rick's lecturer in Interesting
Gary Beadle - as the DJ's servant in Time
Chris Barrie - as the ship captain in the wall-poster in Nasty
Paul Bradley - as the pilot in Demolition; as Warlock in Interesting and Cash
Arnold Brown - as the criminal waiting to be cast in the pit in Flood; the chess player in Nasty
Robbie Coltrane - as the doorman in Oil; as Dr Carlisle in Bambi; as the one-eyed pirate DJ in Time
Ron Cook - as a convict on the wall-poster in Nasty
Andy de la Tour - as the co-pilot in Demolition; as a convict on the wall-poster in Nasty; as the road safety announcer in Cash
Ben Elton - as the TV presenter in Demolition; as the blind DJ in Flood; as Mr Kendall Mintcake in Bambi; as the campaigning schoolboy in Sick; as the drinker in the lager advert in Summer Holiday
Alan Freeman - as God in Cash and Summer Holiday
Dawn French - as the religious visitor in Interesting; as the devil in the painkiller advert in Nasty; as the Easter bunny in Time
Stephen Frost - as policeman #2 in Boring; as gatecrasher #2 in Interesting; as gravedigger #2 and police victim #2 in Flood; as headless ghost #2 in Cash; as spy #2 in Nasty; as manure deliverer #2 in Sick; as the bank manager in Summer Holiday
Stephen Fry - as Lord Snot in Bambi
Gareth Hale - as medieval guard #1 in Flood; as gravedigger #1 in Nasty; as yokel #1 in Time
Lenny Henry - as the postman in Summer Holiday
Jools Holland - as the punk in the bank in Summer Holiday
Terry Jones - as the vicar in Nasty
Hugh Laurie - as Lord Monty in Bambi
Helen Lederer - as Gwendolyn the jester's assistant in Time; as the repetitive bank teller in Summer Holiday
Norman Lovett - as the penny arcade owner in Summer Holiday
Pauline Melville - as a bus passenger in Demolition; as Vyvyan's mother in Boring and Sick; as a witch in Sick
Paul Merton (under his real name of Paul Martin) - as yokel #3 in Time
Norman Pace - as medieval guard #2 in Flood; as gravedigger #2 in Nasty; as yokel #2 in Time
Daniel Peacock - as the stabbed man in Nasty
David Rappaport - as Ftumch[sic] the devil in Boring; as Shirley in Flood
Tony Robinson - as Dr Not The Nine O'Clock News in Bambi
Griff Rhys Jones - as Bambi in Bambi
Jennifer Saunders - as Sue the party guest in Interesting; as Helen Mucus the murderess in Time
Mel Smith - as the commissionaire in Bambi
Emma Thompson - as Miss Money-Sterling in Bambi

Cor blimey, the words Helen Atkinson Wood send shivers up my spine.
She was responsible for a number of awakenings when appearing on OTT (the late night equivalent of Tiswas) circa 83/84............

Cor blimey, the words Helen Atkinson Wood send shivers up my spine.
She was responsible for a number of awakenings when appearing on OTT (the late night equivalent of Tiswas) circa 83/84............

Wasn't she Mrs Miggins in Blackadder III?

Fawlty Towers by some distance for me... Absolute classic stuff!!

Ive never really got the Rik Mayall/Ade Edmondson humour - think maybe its a man thing!!!

I'd have backed The Young Ones to do well in this comp .. but then it wouldn't surprise me to see Fawlty Towers in the final ... i guess thats just the luck of the draw

Back