• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BBC ESSEX…….great team, appreciated!

Enjoyed the match. Wasn't as cold as I thought it would be and I was perfectly content sitting there with my belly full of Oldham's best offerings. Being in the South upper it gave me an early, closer view of Cardwell. His major contribution and top gear efforts came in the first twenty or so minutes. For a tall guy he looks assured with his feet. I think in time he is going to be a Hopper upgrade.
Of the debutants I was impressed most with Leon Davies. Comfortable on the ball, intelligent with it and uses his upper body well. Won't be knocked of the ball easily. Top acquisition in the making.
At first it looked as though it was a matter of time before we would score but we allowed KL to have a few moments just before they scored. Those moments saw us play a number of yards deeper and we chose to pass the ball across our own box instead of the previous play where we launched it forward as early as possible.
When we were in the ascendency the team collectively worked as one. When we had those edgy moments the team was subdued as one.
The signs are good and when we get the gel and confidence we will be three to four goals better than the KL outfit.
At no point in the game, even after conceding, did I think we would lose. God knows when I last felt that about a Blues side.
Arnold was solid. Lopata looks assured and so vocal. He has the physical attributes and the class to do very well in the game. Hobson for me is much maligned. Perhaps his biggest issue is the lack of consistency but if he keeps playing in this side he will improve immeasurably. He is an asset.
Dennis is quick but more importantly he has quick feet and his brain is up to speed. The more he plays, the more he will score, the more his confidence will rise and he will be a regular several leagues above ours.
I could go on but suffice to say no one let the side down. We have a seriously good team, at this level, in the making and one that could compete higher when we do go up.
Well done to all involved.
The crowd was excellent too.

We are very lucky to get the level of coverage we do from BBC Essex. My Cheltenham supporting friend says that BBC Radio Gloucestershire only fully cover a handful of Cheltenham's matches per season because the sport coverage is shared between CTFC, Forest Green and Gloucester rugby matches. So, when the Robins are away, he sometimes has to sit through a commentary of a Gloucester rugby match, of which he has no interest, just to get the occasional update of how CT are getting on. For the sake of those who rely upon the BBC Essex coverage to get their fix of Shrimpers matches I hope it can be sustained for years to come.

I love how they get so excited when it looks like we are going to score and when we do score they go mad. They seem to be proper Southend supporters, not just commentators
Nick Alliker is Definitely a Southend Fan, Glen Speller is too but he can,t admit it due to impartiality issues . Neil Kelly is deluded :ROFL::ROFL: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter:

I think we'll be safe. The BBC will still rake in about 1.5 Billion Pounds a year it was reported this week, even without Licence fees. They can also now introduce other ways of income. They just need to run it properly from now, instead of paying Millions to their top presenters and the top people at the BBC.
The problem is none of that 1.5 billion comes from Southend commentary. How many people will listen to it each week, 10,000? While it's funded by the licence fee it can be justified as something those 10,000 want to pay the license fee for but if BBC has to rely on making its own money then it's going to start thinking more like a business and local radio isn't something that makes a profit anymore unless you cast the net wide, look at how Heart Essex has turned into Heart East so that the station can cover multiple counties at once.

Necessity is the mother of invention. If it was to be canned I too will miss the BBC coverage but need it be the end of commentary on Southend games?
At the moment I pay some money (I have no idea how much) to the club for their Blues TV non service, and, essentially I treat this as a donation. Would they step in should the BBC service go by the wayside? If they did not would I be quite so charitable about subscribing to Blues TV?
If the Club were unwilling to provide any commentary could not some tech wizard find a way to do something. I have no idea on the economics of live streaming but I suspect it would be technologically feasible, and, relatively uncomplicated.
In truth the Club should be on top of this but I am willing to give them a pass for the time being as there were other priorities to address.
Hopefully it is on their 'to do' list, and, as we move forward, it will be sorted. If the club do not take on the responsibility then it may offer an opportunity to an enterprising tech savvy Zoner.

My dear old mum can't get to the games now, but she always tunes into the games on the radio. It means so much to people like her and the exiles. On a personal note (being a kids coach) I could listen to Paul Clark and Glenn Pennyfather all day long, especially Clarky. Their understanding of the game is second to none and each time I listen to them I find a new little nugget to educate the kids with. Keep up the good work, all

Enjoy both commentators, plus Clark and Pennyfather. Clarky gives it to you straight while Glenn is hugely invested (you can initially tell what is happening due to his yells and groans), Now the young man who covers the non-league games is a different kettle of fish, he really brings me down.

My kind words earlier on in this thread have come with a price. Stuart Smith is on commentary duty today. I am not happy. He us by a long way a very bad commentator ?
Yes he is pitiful, glad only couple times a year

For those not intending to go to the Barnet game on Tuesday you’ll have to put up with him again apparently. No better incentive to get out and see some live football from the best team in Essex who are currently 3rd highest in the National League form table.

Having sat in the row right in front of Glenn Speller and Glen Pennyfather at the back of the stand at Weymouth I have a new found respect for them.

It was a long way from the pitch and I could only just recognise our players, let alone the opposition ones, yet they churn out their names at speed whilst commenting and describing the action.

It’s not an easy thing to do! Does anyone have a link for the commentary though!

Back