• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question BBC SPOTY - who gets your vote?

Who should win SPOTY?

• Total voters
Chris Froome although tempted by Jessica.

Not only winning the Tour again, but the first British rider to be crowned King of the Mountains since Robert Millar in 1984 and only the sixth rider to take the yellow and polka dot jerseys in the same year, and the first to do so since Eddy Merckx in 1970.

I guess there are two questions here - who should win and who will win?

There is an utterly compelling case for Froome, but recency bias is a big factor in public votes, hence why I think it'll be Murray.

My views on this matter may be coloured by a bet placed some months ago though :winking:

I guess there are two questions here - who should win and who will win?

There is an utterly compelling case for Froome, but recency bias is a big factor in public votes, hence why I think it'll be Murray.

My views on this matter may be coloured by a bet placed some months ago though :winking:

Yeah I expect Fury will get votes as well - convenient timing!

who's nominated for Team of the Year?

Yeah I expect Fury will get votes as well - convenient timing!

who's nominated for Team of the Year?

I think Fury may suffer from his fight having been seen by a very small number of people. Murray's GB's Davis Cup win was live on the BBC.

Haven't looked at team of the year as I'm just assuming it's Southend United.

I'll let you get away with that as you put a smiley in there :winking:

The whole 'but xxx doesn't even HAVE a personality' trope is annoying beyond belief. But you know that.
Yeah, didn't really think it needed a #ObtusenessIntended

Really tricky this year, it will probably be Murray after the live stuff last weekend or Lewis Hamilton for winning the F1 title so early. But my vote goes to Greg Rutherford for proving that his Olympic exploits were not a one-off by smashing the opposition at the World Championships. Not a footballer amongst them, sad and strange state of affairs.

Murray, no question in my eyes. What has Mo Farah even done to be on that list? Prove himself that's he's no cheat and advertising cardboard tasting mushroom fake mince?

Murray, no question in my eyes. What has Mo Farah even done to be on that list? Prove himself that's he's no cheat and advertising cardboard tasting mushroom fake mince?

He won two more gold medals, and now has the complete set of golds. Worlds, Olympics and Commonwealth 5,000m and 10,000m.

Should Murray win, or should the Davis Cup team win the team of the year?

Really tricky this year, it will probably be Murray after the live stuff last weekend or Lewis Hamilton for winning the F1 title so early. But my vote goes to Greg Rutherford for proving that his Olympic exploits were not a one-off by smashing the opposition at the World Championships. Not a footballer amongst them, sad and strange state of affairs.

Rutherford has done a great job of proving the doubters (me included) wrong.

Widely considered to have been lucky to have won Olympic gold with such a relatively short jump (shortest winning leap since 1972), he's just got on and won every other major championship there is. Stunning work.

He won two more gold medals, and now has the complete set of golds. Worlds, Olympics and Commonwealth 5,000m and 10,000m.

Should Murray win, or should the Davis Cup team win the team of the year?

Did he? There you go, little interest in sport outside of SUFC and tennis.

Did he? There you go, little interest in sport outside of SUFC and tennis.

Damn. I was hoping for a "yeah, but what else has he done" so I could provide a link to the "what have the Romans ever done for us" YouTube clip from the Life of Brian.

Typically po-faced trying-to-be-to-clever-by-half article in The Grauniad here, claiming that it's not been a brilliant year for British sport, despite eight of these twelve nominees being world champions. And some pretty top cricketers missing out in in Ashes winning year too. Unthinkable a few years ago!

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/dec/01/sports-personality-year-award-2015-12-nominees

Yep typical "put em down" attitude from the Britain haters daily. I mean who would read never mind quote from this rag?
Max Whitlock for me, first gold for a British gymnast in individual competition isn't it?
Outstanding achievement but as voting is done on the night it will probably go to someone with more recent success.
As long as it isn't Hamilton I really couldn't care.

Yep typical "put em down" attitude from the Britain haters daily. I mean who would read never mind quote from this rag?
Max Whitlock for me, first gold for a British gymnast in individual competition isn't it?
Outstanding achievement but as voting is done on the night it will probably go to someone with more recent success.
As long as it isn't Hamilton I really couldn't care.

Commenter 'southendjames' has something to say about that article :winking:

Max Whitlock is a phenomenon. Must confess I took Chris Phillips to task on Twitter a couple of weeks ago when he referred to him as 'the Essex athlete'. He trains in Essex but is from Hemel Hempstead and they're very proud of him round my way!

Back