• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question BBC SPOTY - who gets your vote?

Who should win SPOTY?

• Total voters
i'll go Murray for a) carrying the team virtually single-handed
and
b) wanting to
he, so he said, was willing to focus on the Davis Cup to the detriment of his singles career and at least spoke about trying to get out of the World Tour finals to better prepare for the Davis Cup.
that and he's now world number 2, doubt i'll see many other British tennis players that highly ranked

I'll vote for Fury based on his ability to upset people who have been smothered by journalistic political correctness and seem to have lost their ****ing minds. I can let it go that he's a dreadful pikey.

Spot on, his words where taken out of context and then publisbed without the previous conversation. Team Fury.

Andy Murray will win though, followed by JHE (public love her)

I think we are quite lucky to be living during a time when the SPOTY shortlist contains so many world champions and even a double Tour de France winner.

If you back to 1997, Greg Rusedski won it and he only reached the US open final that year, he didn't even win it. Second was Tim Henman and third was Steve Redgrave and it wasn't an Olympic year!

As Yorkshire has indicated, there is a clear bias towards BBC sports, otherwise the highlights reel for each nominee would consist of audio commentary and sky sports screen shots! Surprised there werent any female volleyball players or darts players nominated.

As Yorkshire has indicated, there is a clear bias towards BBC sports, otherwise the highlights reel for each nominee would consist of audio commentary and sky sports screen shots! Surprised there werent any female volleyball players or darts players nominated.

That's because its not a sport.

Aaaah the annual debate. I can't understand why they either don't rename the title or split in two. Sporting Champion for someone who has achieved or overachieved and Personality for someone that has also furthered the cause of sport in general or just actually has a personality. Not a trait of either Murray or Hamilton either of which would be worthy of the top award. JEH would get my nomination among those nominated for the second one.

I like Andy Murray and after the Davis Cup I'd probably go for him. People say he's dour and not patriotic but he certainly showed his passion and commitment in the Davis Cup. Not to mention reaching the Australian Open final, winning four ATP titles and finishing the year as number 2 in the world.

Can't believe Joe Root wasn't nominated though, world's number one batsman and key to our Ashes victory. And he has some personality, too. If the Davis Cup team get team of the year then it'll mean no recognition for our cricketers. Seems like there's still a 'London 2012 effect' in the shortlist, and I've never even heard of the rugby player - seems like he's just being honoured for a long career. You could even argue Jamie Vardy should be nominated.

Last edited:
I like Andy Murray and after the Davis Cup I'd probably go for him. People say he's dour and not patriotic but he certainly showed his passion and commitment in the Davis Cup. Not to mention reaching the Australian Open final, winning four ATP titles and finishing the year as number 2 in the world.

Can't believe Joe Root wasn't nominated though, world's number one batsman and key to our Ashes victory. And he has some personality, too. If the Davis Cup team get team of the year then it'll mean no recognition for our cricketers. Don't know what Mo Farah has done to warrant being shortlisted again, and I've never even heard of the rugby player - seems like he's just being honoured for a long career. You could even argue Jamie Vardy should be nominated.

Probably because in August he added the World Athletics Championship 5000 and 10,000 metre gold medals to his medal total.

Can't believe Joe Root wasn't nominated though, world's number one batsman and key to our Ashes victory. And he has some personality, too. If the Davis Cup team get team of the year then it'll mean no recognition for our cricketers. Don't know what Mo Farah has done to warrant being shortlisted again, and I've never even heard of the rugby player - seems like he's just being honoured for a long career. You could even argue Jamie Vardy should be nominated.

Yes, I've no idea what this year's double world champion Mo Farrah has done to warrant being shortlisted again either...

Tyson Fury, and it ain't even close.

Murray - has won Tennis tournaments before. He will win more in the future.

Lewis - has won races & titles before. He will win more in the future

Compare that to Tyson's achievement...

Firstly, he was up against the undisputed HW champion of the world. A HW champion who has reigned supreme for 10 years. A HW champion who has decimated all-comers and boasts a 78% KO percentage. A HW champion who was recognised as one of THE best pound-for-pound fighters on the planet. A HW champion, who'd barely lost a round, let alone a fight, for years. A HW champion who is destined for the Hall Of Fame, and who will be remembered as an All Time Great of HW boxing.

Let's not forget, every bookie had Wlad as a odds-on favourite while Tyson was 7/2 or 4/1. No-one gave Fury a chance. Wlad was this machine who was nailed on to destroy Fury and finish him with a brutal KO. Every Sky pundit, ex/current pro's, journalists & fans wrote him off.

Secondly, Fury went into the champions backyard, with all the champions stipulations. Wlad had everything his own way in negotiations. Also, Germany, is a country which is infamous for "visiting" fighters to get shafted by judges/referees & receive no recognition on the scorecards. But Tyson won by a clear UD, with 2 judges saying he only lost 3 rounds.

But his performance on the night, whilst not blood & thunder that is expected from HW boxing, has to be up there with some of the greatest achievements in British sporting history. If they'd made a film, with this storyline, everyone would have laughed and said it was ********, because it just wouldn't happen. But Tyson made it happen. He nullified, toyed-with & embarrassed one of the most dominant men in the sports history. And all this at the ripe-old-age of 27. Make no mistake, unlike Murray & Lewis, who will undoubtedly go on to repeat their successes again in the future, this probably won't happen again for years and years. If at all.

This achievement was the footballing equivalent of Southend going to the Nou Camp & beating Barca 4-0. With 10-men. On a Tuesday night.

For those reasons, he deserves to win.

I would go: 1. Jessica Ennis-Hill; 2. Andy Murray; 3. Chris Froome

However, I suspect: 1. Andy Murray; 2. Lewis Hamilton; 3. JEH - but wouldn't be surprised to see Kevin Sinfield get third (RL bloc vote)

Sinfield is third in the betting now. A Daily Telegraph poll suggests he has a decent chance of making the top three.

Murray's price shortening by the day.

Let's not forget, every bookie had Wlad as a odds-on favourite while Tyson was 7/2 or 4/1. No-one gave Fury a chance. Wlad was this machine who was nailed on to destroy Fury and finish him with a brutal KO. Every Sky pundit, ex/current pro's, journalists & fans wrote him off.

Well, not quite 'no' chance. The odds implied he had a 20% chance of winning, in an event with only three possible outcomes. There will be bigger shocks in the football this weekend.

While we're on odds, Great Britain were 33/1 to win the Davis Cup at the start of the year. Now that really is a huge shock.

Well, not quite 'no' chance. The odds implied he had a 20% chance of winning, in an event with only three possible outcomes. There will be bigger shocks in the football this weekend.

While we're on odds, Great Britain were 33/1 to win the Davis Cup at the start of the year. Now that really is a huge shock.

Wow. 20% chance. So did you yourself give him a hope? I mean, the odds and probabilities are one thing, but what I clearly meant was, did anyone actually feasibly see Fury winning? If you want to manipulate statistics, then he had a 48% chance of winning, because there was 2 men involved & one had to win, (2% for the draw, if not lower) The answer is no. The pundits didn't, the ex & current pro's didn't, the media didn't & the fans didn't. To say there will be bigger shocks in the football this weekend, is daft tbh. As I mentioned before, it's the equivalent of Southend beating Barca, in the Nou Camp, 4-0, with 10-men, on a Tuesday night

Tyson Fury, and it ain't even close.

Murray - has won Tennis tournaments before. He will win more in the future.

Lewis - has won races & titles before. He will win more in the future

Compare that to Tyson's achievement...

Firstly, he was up against the undisputed HW champion of the world. A HW champion who has reigned supreme for 10 years. A HW champion who has decimated all-comers and boasts a 78% KO percentage. A HW champion who was recognised as one of THE best pound-for-pound fighters on the planet. A HW champion, who'd barely lost a round, let alone a fight, for years. A HW champion who is destined for the Hall Of Fame, and who will be remembered as an All Time Great of HW boxing.

Secondly, Fury went into the champions backyard, with all the champions stipulations. Wlad had everything his own way in negotiations. Also, Germany, is a country which is infamous for "visiting" fighters to get shafted by judges/referees & receive no recognition on the scorecards. But Tyson won by a clear UD, with 2 judges saying he only lost 3 rounds.

But his performance on the night, whilst not blood & thunder that is expected from HW boxing, has to be up there with some of the greatest achievements in British sporting history. If they'd made a film, with this storyline, everyone would have laughed and said it was ********, because it just wouldn't happen. But Tyson made it happen. He nullified, toyed-with & embarrassed one of the most dominant men in the sports history. And all this at the ripe-old-age of 27. Make no mistake, unlike Murray & Lewis, who will undoubtedly go on to repeat their successes again in the future, this probably won't happen again for years and years. If at all.

This achievement was the footballing equivalent of Southend going to the Nou Camp & beating Barca 4-0. With 10-men. On a Tuesday night.

For those reasons, he deserves to win.
He beats people up for a living. That's not a sport.

What a stupid comment.

If he shouldn't win it, then neither should Lewis Hamilton, because driving a car is not a sport.

You are correct. F1 is just a who has got the most money/best car thing. I've always been underwhelmed and never understood the hype. That's not a dig at LH but put 20 drivers in identical cars and then let's judge who is the best driver.

The best thing to come out of F1 Is the improvements in road safety for the likes of you and I.

Wow. 20% chance. So did you yourself give him a hope? I mean, the odds and probabilities are one thing, but what I clearly meant was, did anyone actually feasibly see Fury winning? If you want to manipulate statistics, then he had a 48% chance of winning, because there was 2 men involved & one had to win, (2% for the draw, if not lower) The answer is no. The pundits didn't, the ex & current pro's didn't, the media didn't & the fans didn't. To say there will be bigger shocks in the football this weekend, is daft tbh. As I mentioned before, it's the equivalent of Southend beating Barca, in the Nou Camp, 4-0, with 10-men, on a Tuesday night

I didn't back him - I can't remember the last time I had a bet on boxing - but a couple of mates did.

Not denying that Fury deserves enormous credit for beating Klitschko on (effectively) home turf but it simply wasn't as big a surprise as you're making out. Not even the biggest ever surprise involving a Brit winning a boxing world title - Lloyd Honeyghan was as big as 10/1 to beat Don Curry back in the 1980s.

And Southend winning 4-0 at the Camp Nou would be something on the order of 500/1. If not bigger!

Back