• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BBC4 - Britpop Night

TV Listings

Seeing as there's a lot of us on here who consider the Britpop years of 94, 95 & 96 as the pinnacle of music during their lifetime, I thought I'd post this link about BBC4's Britpop night tonight.  They're showing Live Forever (it was on general release at cinemas a couple of years back) as well as a really cool Pulp documentary amongst other things.

I still cringe at that term to describe a genre of music though, why does everything have to be compartmentalised?

Have to be watching that - will bring back some memories no doubt!
smile.gif

Ta for the reminder Richard, saw the show advertised a few weeks ago and really liked the look of it.

It'll be BBC4 all night until The Mighty Boosh at 11pm on BBC3
smile.gif

Menswear, Sleeper, Catatonia ..........

Quality acts that have stood the test of time.

It was a quality few hours, brought back a shed load of memories and jogged my memory about bands that I'd already forgotten about (powder & Marion in particular).

Hot balmy Saturday nights in 94-95 in the good mixer (I was actually there although mentioning the GM has become a bit like Bury 91) followed by an all nighter at Blow up - good times indeed

Cheers Glasgowsufc for the headsup, I would've missed the whole thing otherwise  
cool.gif

No problems for all those who caught it.
That was the 1st time I've ever seen Live Forever & as has been said, it brings back a whole load of memories.

I have to also say, JARVIS COCKER YOU ARE A LEGEND!

I was slightly perturbed to see the Live & Kicking footage of Pulp on the show in autumn 95 with Gary Glitter "dancing" in the background. I bet he was in heaven that morning (allegedly)!

I'd quite forgotten about Tony Blair's cringeworthy conference speech -

"17 years of hurt. Labour's coming home."

Drrrreadful.

Still, good night of telly, very enjoyable. I thought Damon Albarn came across as a complete w%&ker by the way....

Made me realise I haven't really changed in 10 years!! Britpop still rules. Shove your boring Coldplays, Keanes, Athletes up your arse!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ Aug. 17 2005,09:57)]I'd quite forgotten about Tony Blair's cringeworthy conference speech -

"17 years of hurt. Labour's coming home."

Drrrreadful.

Still, good night of telly, very enjoyable. I thought Damon Albarn came across as a complete w%&ker by the way....
Too right, if I was Baddiel/Skinner/Broudie I'd have demanded never to have to pay income tax for the remainder of the Labour government for twisting their words like that.

It was interesting to hear the views of Albarn & Wener about how the music industry & press wouldn't let you speak out against New Labour & particularly that Louise Wener thought that the whole deal was full of empty promises, how right she was, hey?

As much as I loved Blur's music, Damon's always been a bit of a **** though hasn't he?  I mean, the whole Blur v Oasis shambles proved that (OK, it wasn't all his idea, but that news interview was dire).  I guess now, he's just turned from being an angry young man into a minted 30something misery!

Did anyone on here go to the legendary Ally Pally Blur show (Xmas 94 I think it was) when Pulp were the Special Guest support?  Who were the 1st support, I can't remember?

I went to see Blur in November 1991 when they were still baggy and knocking out tunes like 'Bang' and 'Eye know'.

I think they were supported by The Real People.

It's a shame Blur felt they had to distance themselves from their baggy roots.

I also don't believe for a second that Albarn and Wener were desperate to voice their concerns over the new Labour government but were denied a platform to do so by the music press.

I thought it was disgraceful that the programme ignored the baggier faction of britpop (Bluetones, Cast, Shack) in favour of two-bob mockney chancers such as Elastica, Sleeper and Menswear. I reckon Justine Frischmann's daddy commissioned the programme so that she wont have to finish that art foundation course she started back in 94.

Bit disappointed about the lack of mention of Supergrass - with Blur and Oasis they're the biggest survivor. And they're better than both of them.
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ Aug. 17 2005,14:46)]Bit disappointed about the lack of mention of Supergrass - with Blur and Oasis they're the biggest survivor. And they're better than both of them.  
wink.gif
Not 100% convinced about the new single.
Have you got the new album yet?
Last good song they did was Grace!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Aug. 17 2005,14:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ Aug. 17 2005,14:46)]Bit disappointed about the lack of mention of Supergrass - with Blur and Oasis they're the biggest survivor. And they're better than both of them.  
wink.gif
Not 100% convinced about the new single.
Have you got the new album yet?
Last good song they did was Grace!
The new album's a bit experimental, but after a few listens it's growing on me a lot. St. Petersburg is nowhere near the best track on the album either. Nice to see them trying something different though.

I actually quite liked Life On Other Planets, but it's not as good as they were in their heyday. Their eponymous album remains one of my favorite albums and 'Moving' is one of the greatest songs the 90's.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (A loyal supporter @ Aug. 17 2005,14:54)]Quite glad that Billy Ocean Colour Scene didnt get any credit either - I'm not a fan!!

biggrin.gif
Ugh. They were overrated and plain annoying. "The Day We Caught The Train" was played on the radio all the time and probably caused this irrational dislike of them, I never much liked the rest of their stuff either.

No!!! Not OCS....

*aaaaargh*

*Visions of Chris Evans and stupid mod haircuts swilling around in my head*

ghostface.gif

("Agree that Moving" is a superb track, BTW)

By the time a musical 'movement' has a name it's already going downhill....punk, acid-house, baggy, brit-pop, new wave of new wave (god, does anyone remember that?).

However for me Brit-Pop holds special memories because it was just the right time for me....I was young with no repsonsibilities and out at gigs and clubs every other night. Many of the bands featured last night provide the soundtrack to those heady late-teen, early twenties days so will always be special to me. Looking back however it is obvious that for every Oasis there was an Ocean Colour Scene and for every Blur a Menswear but hey, isn't that always the case for every era? As a nostalgia-fest it was great. Before long 80's nostalgia will be old hat and Reflex will be turned into 'Britpops' and playing the 'hits of the 90's'....just you wait and see

Back