• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bentley is back

wiggy

Darryl's Love Child
Gower and Petts. Gower has decided to wear a pair of boots to get himself noticed in bright white for our Spanish viewers, unfortunately having been our prize asset he is now a liability to this decent promotion seeking team. As mentioned before, if he aint going past people and creating for others then he is not worth his place. I have never seen such an ineffective tackler and weak willed player as him, which is so out of character for this full of effort team. With such a strong looking new bench i now also feel that Petts is also the only other weak link. Non creative and always turning backwards could it now be time to change him as his last few weeks performances have been below par!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Mar. 29 2005,00:28)]Gower has decided to wear a pair of boots to get himself noticed in bright white for our Spanish viewers, unfortunately having been our prize asset he is now a liability to this decent promotion seeking team.
Yeah, I heard. But thanks for confirming!

WS

smile.gif

Gower was very poor today. Not sure about chopping him now but we should watch the game against Bristol very carefully. Don't want another damp performance from him at Cardiff.

Not sure about Petts. Same dogged display from him today. Admittedly, his favourite outlet seemed to be Prior who would then inevitably lump it to the front two but he was still breaking down Cambridge's play in midfield where, it must be said, they had one or two useful players that couldn't get going. Tudor was forced up to try and get change from long balls aimed at Jupp's head (presumably) and Walker was frequently double or triple teamed. Thought he did as well as usual and is a solid member of the team. Away from home, you need a solid team more than an attacking team IMO.

Everyone seems to have an opinion on Pettefer, but the way I see it, is that he's started every game this season (League, LDV, League and FA Cup). We're in the final of one of those cups (we all know which one!) and we're second in the league, one point off the top. Thats good enough for me!

IMHO, he was excellent today. His first touch is extremely good, especially when trapping a long ball under pressure. If Bentley had his first touch, he'd be the best midfielder in the league.

So, Carl Pettefer gets a big thumbs up from me.

biggrin.gif

Agree to an extent about Gower. Ditch those white boots Mark please!

I reckon I'll be having nightmares about Gower running out in Cardiff with white wristbands on too

ghostface.gif

(Sorry Drewe...
down.gif
)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Mar. 29 2005,00:00)]I reckon I'll be having nightmares about Gower running out in Cardiff with white wristbands on too

ghostface.gif
Didn't notice those. I did however clock the 'un-tucked shirt stylee' which also resembles big Drewe doesn't it not?!...

ghostface.gif

Help!

If Petts is dropped I guarantee the negative difference to the side in terms of workrate would be all too evident.

Also I personally feel a lot safer having Petts down the right giving defensive help to Jupp, with Hunt at right-back its not such a problem but with Jupp's defensive frailties (despite a couple of good recent performances) mean that without someone like Pettefer in front of him we would be far less solid at the back.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mr Wooly @ Mar. 28 2005,23:56)]Agree to an extent about Gower. Ditch those white boots Mark please!
There is no debate!!!

Gower has to ditch the White boots befrore Cardiff or Tilly should ditch him.

ghostface.gif
ghostface.gif
ghostface.gif

On todays performance it will be Nicky playing in Cardiff!!!

u watch, the big players will perform at cardiff...

no phasing barrett, prior, maher, gower, or eastwood. they are the ones. juppy too a lot of experience...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mr Wooly @ Mar. 28 2005,23:56)]Agree to an extent about Gower. Ditch those white boots Mark please!
After the Rochdale game I said the same about Gower, until I realised that he still created two of our goals.

I don't know if now is the right time to change. If we make it up to lg1 then maybe the situation should come under a bit more scrutiny, but we've got a winning formula at the moment, so i see no reason to change.

if needs be, guttridge could be brought in as he is an obvious choice of replacement, once he gets back to full fitness, as he can play anywhere across the midfield. maybe that's the long term plan?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Mar. 29 2005,08:49)]
[b said:
After the Rochdale game I said the same about Gower, until I realised that he still created two of our goals.
...and Petts created the other goal by chasing the Rochdale defender down and forcing the error.

Petts and Gower are the classic chalk and cheese combo which is why we're so effective. Petts' endeavour mean, absolutely, that he's worth his place in the side... he created the first goal against Dale purely through his hard work.

Once we're one-up, then Marky Gower can weave his magic. If Gower worked harder, he'd be a fabulous player... as it is, he doesn't work hard enough for my liking, but he has some sublime moments of skill which turn the game. He is, in short, a match-winner. Bristol away in the LDV, anyone?

rock.gif

Besides, when we've just risen to second and won 6 and drawn two of our last eight, why drop either. I continue to take just about everything wiggy says with a pinch of salt - let's not forget, he's the man that in early September put £300 on us to go down, IIRC.

He seems to be a man who isn't happy if he isn't moaning. Me? I prefer the axiom "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" - and it most certainly is anything other than broke right now...

biggrin.gif

Matt

Please do not read this as another negative pop at our captain but, am I the only person who felt that we looked far less effective yesterday with Maher in midfield than we have without him? I am the first to admit that in previous games where he has not featured, we have been a weaker side but, with McCormck we have looked a far steadier prospect. Maher seemingly is unable to play the ball to feet, continually giving even the shortest pass at waist height or above. I have read the posts on here condemning Pettifer but I can only assume they are from people who think that every midfileder should take players on. For me, Petts is our Peter Butler. He is a tenacious tackler but doesnt have the distribution of Maher or McCormack, thats okay, Peter Butler had Keith Jones to do that!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperian @ Mar. 29 2005,10:56)] Maher seemingly is unable to play the ball to feet, continually giving even the shortest pass at waist height or above.
Eh?

My complaint about Maher has only ever been his work-rate, and that it doesn't always match his efforts on Monday. His passing is accurate and to feet.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Mar. 29 2005,10:53)]Me? I prefer the axiom "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" - and it most certainly is anything other than broke right now...
Nice axiom.

You keep on about the 300 quid for the drop but keep failing to acknowledge that the bet was only going to be struck if Broughton and Gray was to be persivered with. Repeat NO BET

You keep on about the 300 quid for the drop but keep failing to acknowledge that the bet was only going to be struck if Broughton and Gray was to be persivered with. Repeat NO BET was struck of this nature, instead one ton and fifty each way at 66/1 was placed, 12,675 pounds if we win it, 2,625 2nd or 3rd, nothing to moan about there is there?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Mar. 29 2005,10:53)]Me?  I prefer the axiom "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" - and it most certainly is anything other than broke right now...
Personally my axiom of choice is 'play your strongest team'.

Just because a team is good enough to beat the worse team in the football league does not necessarily mean it will be good enough to beat Yeovil and remember apart from Freddy's debut, we haven't beaten a side currently in the top 4.

Gower has got to get rid of them white boots. I swear white boots have a cruse on our players. Gower was IMHO the worst player on the pitch. Looked to be lost and he bottles so many tackles (Granteed this isn't noticed so much when he is scoring from 25yards or creating goals, but if his not...). Something is up with Gower, maybe his struggling with an injury, or the fact that he played both friday and monday might have caught up with him but somethings not right. Bring back Gower of last season.

As for Petts, another 7 out of 10 for me. Which, bar one or two games, he picks up every week from me. Its strange for a winger not to chip in with goals or assists but thats exactly like Petts. Although he does provide excellent defensive cover, which can be crucial away from home, and he just doesn't stop working. His alongside our very own action man (Beno) in the amount of work he gets through in a game.

Back