• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Berlin and Krakow

Tangled up in Blue

Certified Senior Citizen⭐
Any tips about these two cities that Zoners can pass on?
We're sorted for travel and accomodation and have guidebooks, thanks :winking:.
(I'm hoping to see Wisla Krakow play but unfortunately we won't be in Berlin when Herta Berlin are at home).

i would recommend a free walking tour (although a tip appreciated) of Berlin early on to help get your bearings and to give an appreciation of the rich City's history.

[url]http://www.newberlintours.com/daily-tours/free-tour.html[/URL]

We stayed in the Mitte area and although it is more expensive than some we felt it was worth it as it is quite central which
was good as Berlin is a very big City. On a Friday or Saturday night the following is worth a visit.

[url]http://www.holidaycheck.com/things_to_do-travel-information+Berlin+Republic+Beer+Stock+Exchange+Brokers-zid_33582.html[/URL]

Shame Hertha are not at home as I thought the atmosphere generated by there fans was one of the best I have ever experienced and at that stage they were second from bottom of the league

Cheers JLS.The walking tour(especially of East Berlin looks great).:thumbsup:
We're staying in Schoneberg(not as central as Mitte)but hey, Dave Bowie/Iggy Pop and Christopher Isherwood lived nearby.Marlene Deitricht's buried there too!

[/I][/QUOTE]

Be very careful wanting to watch a Wisla game. I wanted to do the derby game there and was talked out of it by someone who visits war zones for fun. Their fans are very violent and although there is segregation there isn't what you might call a neutral area. The police treat everyone the same so be warned, if the tear gas comes out you stand a better than average chance of getting a faceful.

Dave Bowie/Iggy Pop and Christopher Isherwood lived nearby.Marlene Deitricht's buried there too!

I think there's a bar near the Bowie/Iggy flat that was made out of a train, that's pretty cool. If you're going to their flat be prepared for some VERY weird looks as you stand around outside a flat opposite a supermarket, it's all a little weird round there and there's nothing else to do.

My top tip for Berlin is to spend a few hours in the Jewish Museum, it's absolutely cracking and so, so humbling. Better than Checkpoint Charlie as well which is basically wandering round a house next to the border.

For food, I must totally recommend White Trash Fast Food (http://www.whitetrashfastfood.com/) it's a Harvester on crack, biggest onion rings I've ever had in my life in there and it's really, really cheap with some decent music thrown in as well.

Other than that, the Sony Center, Bauhaus exhibit and if you really fancy it, go walking east of the city by the river into the suburbs, as soon as you get out of "nice Berlin" the city starts looking very communist with still unfinished areas that are left over since the second world war. The strange thing is, we walked round there and felt very safe yet learnt a lot about what the hell went on 70 years ago.

Be very careful wanting to watch a Wisla game. I wanted to do the derby game there and was talked out of it by someone who visits war zones for fun. Their fans are very violent and although there is segregation there isn't what you might call a neutral area. The police treat everyone the same so be warned, if the tear gas comes out you stand a better than average chance of getting a faceful.

Cheers GHS but I don't intend to sit(or stand)with some of the more "ardent" supporters as the Wisla OS describes them.Instead,I think I'll follow this advice.
http://www.inyourpocket.com/poland/...h-football/Watch-football/Wisla-Krakow_36124v

Last edited:
Presumably when in Krakow you will be visitng Auschwitz which is a must see. the main square is winderful and has loads of bars and places to eat. When we were there a whole of of people and lorries turned up and set up for a bike race round the square which was very entertaining.
Also the Polish Aviation Museum is well worth a visit. The salt mines and sculptures are quite fascinating but once you are in there its a long way out and takes quite a time to get round so i wouldnt put this at the tlop of your list if you are pushed for time.

Cheers Stevo.Auschwitz is top of my list to see when we're in Krakow.Glad to hear there are plenty of bars/restaurants near there as I believe it's a bit of a trip out of town.

Cheers Stevo.Auschwitz is top of my list to see when we're in Krakow.Glad to hear there are plenty of bars/restaurants near there as I believe it's a bit of a trip out of town.

It's not very clear and I'll happily stand corrected but I have a feeling that Steveo meant that there were plenty of bars & restaurants in Krakow's main square rather than close to Auschwitz. I've been to both and that's my feeling anyway.

No Barna you misunderstood. Not much at all at Auschwitz. Krakow is where its all happening. We hired a driver to take us to the camp he waited till we finished the tour and took us back to Krakow. Fairly reasonable price wise.

No Barna you misunderstood. Not much at all at Auschwitz. Krakow is where its all happening. We hired a driver to take us to the camp he waited till we finished the tour and took us back to Krakow. Fairly reasonable price wise.

Ah my bad.Nice to know a cab ride is reasonable though.Was planning to train/bus it.

Train is the traditional way to get to Auschwitz.

I think it was easier to get there than to get back. We ended up getting the bus back.

Ah my bad.Nice to know a cab ride is reasonable though.Was planning to train/bus it.

A lot of buses are converted Merc sprinters with about 18 seats and 10 people standing. Not very pleasant in the height of summer.

Similarly, we planned to go to a game on my brother-in-law's stag do a couple of years ago. He's a policeman and mentioned these plans in passing to a colleague of his who is closely involved with the football side of policing. He was told in no uncertain terms not to even consider it.

As it turned out, due to my children wanting to be born early I couldn't make it, but the lads left the football well alone.

Similarly, we planned to go to a game on my brother-in-law's stag do a couple of years ago. He's a policeman and mentioned these plans in passing to a colleague of his who is closely involved with the football side of policing. He was told in no uncertain terms not to even consider it.

As it turned out, due to my children wanting to be born early I couldn't make it, but the lads left the football well alone.

Thanks but I'm determined to go if I can.I've seen football played in pretty much every country I've been to on holiday.However if I stop posting to SZ you'll know why..:smile:

Thanks but I'm determined to go if I can.I've seen football played in pretty much every country I've been to on holiday.However if I stop posting to SZ you'll know why..:smile:

In fairness, I imagine you're less likely to be noticed by folk looking for trouble than a bunch of drunk 20-somethings! Enjoy.

Just for the record this link for Wisla is gen.
http://www.inyourpocket.com/poland/...h-football/Watch-football/Wisla-Krakow_36124v
You'll need a fancard(Karta Kibika)which will set you back 10.00 PLN, from upstairs in the fanstore(Strefa Kibika).
Get your matchticket downstairs.Mine in the "balcony" ie upper tier in Sector E-opposite the VIP stand cost 45,00 PLN(or an amazingly cheap 11/12 euros).Get there early and you'll have time for a few crafty beers in the excellent beer garden, over the road.
Great stadium,fantastic fans(atmosphere reminded me of that at Moscow Dynamo), not much of a team though.Lovely weather in which Wisla struggled to beat GKS Belchatow 2-1.The footy was Championship standard,rather than Prem.stuff.Can't see Wisla getting past the group stage of the Champions League anytime soon.
(Shrimpero might be interested to know that Wisla's number 5(a left sided attacking midfielder,who scored from a pen)answers to the name of Robi).:winking:
Anyone know why this magnificent stadium didn't make the cut as a World Cup venue?
(I believe it was a "reserve" stadium or some such nonsense).

Last edited:
Back