• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bernard.

DTS

The Business
Just done a mortgage for a bloke called Bernard and it came to me that short of Bernie Friend who i dont actually know - This is the first non-celebrity Bernard I have ever know.

Does anyone else know a Bernard and if so who is he?

DtS

Yes, my mate Bernard Clottey - Welsh fella, aged 29. He's widely known as Benny amongst the lads, although I believe his work colleagues (one of whom is a Southend fan) call him Bernice, which he's not mad keen on.

In fact, here is Bernard/Benny/Bernice with me in Tallinn last year:

photo.php

I know of a 'Bernie' - he's an aquaintance of a good friend of mine and there's a seriously funny story (if you know the protagonists that is) about mistaken identity involving this bloke, the 'punchline' of which is "Alright Bern". This story has taken on such epic proportions amongst a small group of friends that we often greet each other with an "Alright Bern".

At the time the Rubins were under fire , there was a guy on the North Bank called Bernard Hughes who was quite popular , but I never met him .

Was quite young at the time ;)

Bloke who ran the newsagents I did a paper round for was called Bernard.

Also the coach driver who took us on our school trip to the Rhineland was a Brummie called Bernie. Imagine a bus full of hormonal pubescent teenagers going "awrite Booinee" in a really bad Wolves accent!

Very tenuous but only come into mind after a bottle of red wine! Hic!

Last edited:
Used to work with a Bernard back home.

My mate's dog is called Bernie. God knows why....

I had an uncle Bernard - I think it was because he looked like a St Bernard dog. Come to think of it he was rather partial to a whiskey too!!

I was once posted to a high-altitude comms station in Bosnia for two days with a lance-corporal called Bernard. He used to cook chips individually in the fryer. Strange fellow.

Allsports on Southend High Street used to be managed by a guy called Bernie Nolan. I know, because I ran the best damn footwear section in the region.

I run a ten pin bowling league, one week a guy called Bernie bowled but the team didn't add his surname, I never found out what it was so I'm assuming that he was Brazilian in a Ronaldo type one name stylee (or they didn't know what his surname was).

I've just remembered that the flatmate went to school with a bloke called Bernard Poon. Mr Poon also has a brother called Desmond.

So not many unfamous Bernards then!

Most Bernard's are therefore famous -

Bernard Matthews, George Bernard Shaw, Bernard Jenkin, Bernard Cribbins, Bernie Winters, Bernie Clifton, Bernie Eccleston, Bernie Grant, Bernie Slaven, Bernie Torme, Bernard Herrman, St Bernard, Bernard Hill, Bernie Marsden, Bernie the Tractor, Bernhard Langer etc..........

Last edited:
So not many unfamous Bernards then!

Most Bernard's are therefore famous -

Bernard Matthews, George Bernard Shaw, Bernard Jenkin, Bernard Cribbins, Bernie Winters, Bernie Clifton, Bernie Eccleston, Bernie Grant, Bernie Slaven, Bernie Torme, Bernard Herrman, St Bernard, Bernard Hill, Bernie Marsden, Bernie the Tractor, etc..........

Don't forget Bernard Sumner from New Order....

I'm assuming that he was Brazilian in a Ronaldo type one name stylee
LOL... his son could be called Berninho...

:p

Of course, the great irony of Brazilian footballers is that they almost all choose a single nick-name (or use their first name) to put on their shirts because, in fact, they mostly have incredibly long names... e.g.

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Ronaldo Luis Nazário de Lima
Ronaldo de Assis Moreira
Ricardo Izecson dos Santos Leite
José Roberto Gama de Oliveira

Your test - without looking up on google, Wikipedia, or any other search engine - is to tell me how we normally refer to the five footballers listed above. The first two are "gimmes", really...

:D

Back