• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best Header

Interesting for me to see the two people I rate as the best headers of the ball at our club score with their heads this weekend.

Turner's goal was a peach. Unmarked as he may have been, that was a great connection and a beautifully placed finish right past the keeper. Didn't need any pace, just an exquisite steer. And then there's McLaughlin. Not sure if many would be surprised at this opinion or not, but for me, he has one of the best techniques at the club. He offten produces a hang time that many of the other players just don't have in their locker, and I'm regularly seeing him winning headers he simply has no right to.

So over to you.

Best header?
Best (most accurate? most powerful) shot?
Best crosser? Kightly?
Best tackler? Timlin?
Best penalty taker?
Best free kick taker?
Best engine?
Best left root/right foot?
Best passer?
Best touch/skills? Kightly?
Best movement off the ball?
Best anything else?

Don't want to sound too much like OBL but John White is a decent crosser of the ball, in particular from deep. However, I guess he's not really going to be playing out wide any more.

I'm a fan of Coker's movement off the ball - he always seems to be involved in the decent interplay and making good options for players. Also off the ball he picks up good defensive positions and is underrated defensively in the box. Never particularly flashy but so important.

Best penalty taker: Demetriou
Best engine: McGlashan
Best shot: Demetriou
Best free kick taker: McLaughlin
Best movement off the ball: Fortune
Best passer: Kightly

I still think Wordsworth is our best dead ball deliverer, certainly of free kicks, if not corners as well.

Based on the ones you've done, I'd go with:

Best engine: Cox
Best shot: McLaughlin
Best free kick taker: Wordsworth
Best movement off the ball: Fortuné
Best passer: Kightly
Also...
Best header: Turner
Best tackler: Timlin
Best crosser: McLaughlin

How many of these would have been Lenny though :sad:

Josh Wright, is a very good crosser/passer. Must have one of the best completion ratio

yes it’s true about, McLaughlin, very good technique, cleanest striker of the ball, at the club imo, watch him in the warm up and you will see.

So this was either the most boring thread of 2018 (well done me!) or there’s not too much controversy here as the players choose themselves for this.

So this was either the most boring thread of 2018 (well done me!) or there’s not too much controversy here as the players choose themselves for this.

Where you went wrong was missing out the more important categories like

Best Goal Celebration
Best match programme Q&A
Best Hair
and especially for OBL best bum

ps I think this is a squad which, with maybe a few exceptions (e.g. Turner in the air, Robinson and McGlashan pace) lacks players with standout attributes.

This would have been a very different conversation with the Luggy squad where players like Lenny (engine), Ryan Hall (crossing), Bilel (aerial prowess) had exceptional ability in one or two areas.

In Champ Manager terms Lenny would have 20 stamina, Ryan Hall would have say 19 crossing and Bilel 20 heading (and aggression!) whereas I don't think Turner would be quite a 20 heading, but his weaker attributes would be much higher than Bilel's.

People still think Robison has pace, against them defenders on Monday, but I’ve not seen much, I think people remember him a decade ago, before his knee opps.

Best header: Turner
Best shot: Cox
Best crosser: McLaughlin
Best tackler: Timlin
Best free kick taker: Coker
Best engine: Yearwood/Demetriou
Best left root/right foot: Left - Coker, right - Kightly
Best passer: Wright
Best touch/skills: Kightly
Best movement off the ball: Cox

Best Header

Interesting for me to see the two people I rate as the best headers of the ball at our club score with their heads this weekend.

Turner's goal was a peach. Unmarked as he may have been, that was a great connection and a beautifully placed finish right past the keeper. Didn't need any pace, just an exquisite steer. And then there's McLaughlin. Not sure if many would be surprised at this opinion or not, but for me, he has one of the best techniques at the club. He offten produces a hang time that many of the other players just don't have in their locker, and I'm regularly seeing him winning headers he simply has no right to.

So over to you.

Best header?
Best (most accurate? most powerful) shot?
Best crosser? Kightly?
Best tackler? Timlin?
Best penalty taker?
Best free kick taker?
Best engine?
Best left root/right foot?
Best passer?
Best touch/skills? Kightly?
Best movement off the ball?
Best anything else?

Best wiggle? (even if it is just a little bit)

Maybe we would get a bigger debate if we were to expand it to ex-players as well. The best we have seen in our time as supporters? I'll put these out there

Best header? Barrett
Best penalty taker? Barnard
Best dribbler? Otto
Best engine? Atkinson
Best passer? Gower

Best header? Barry Corr
Best penalty taker? Barry Corr
Best dribbler? Barry Corr
Best engine? Barry Corr
Best passer? Che Wilson

Maybe we would get a bigger debate if we were to expand it to ex-players as well. The best we have seen in our time as supporters? I'll put these out there

Best header? Barrett
Best penalty taker? Barnard
Best dribbler? Otto
Best engine? Atkinson
Best passer? Gower

Barrett wouldn't (legally) win a single header against Mohsni, at least until Bilel got sent off for picking a fight because Barrett was hugging him.

Best engine - Gareth Risbridger. It might have only been 60 seconds but he never stopped running at full pelt:Worthy:
An honourable mention here for Scott Forbes who seemed to bounce all game.

Best dribbler - depends on what you mean by dribbling. Paul Byrne was able to tie defenders up in knots (anyone got a link to that video of his goal v Birmingham?), despite usually being too hungover to run, whilst Stan was the best at running with the ball at speed. Otto combined the two, so is a fair enough shout. Francis Laurent might be worth a mention here as well.

Best passer - Mike Marsh. I'd be willing to listen to those proposing Ronnie Whelan here.

Barrett wouldn't (legally) win a single header against Mohsni, at least until Bilel got sent off for picking a fight because Barrett was hugging him.

Best engine - Gareth Risbridger. It might have only been 60 seconds but he never stopped running at full pelt:Worthy:

Best dribbler - depends on what you mean by dribbling. Paul Byrne was able to tie defenders up in knots (anyone got a link to that video of his goal v Birmingham?), despite usually being too hungover to run, whilst Stan was the best at running with the ball at speed. Otto combined the two, so is a fair enough shout. Francis Laurent might be worth a mention here as well.

Best passer - Mike Marsh. I'd be willing to listen to those proposing Ronnie Whelan here.

defo Marsh, best header... feed the goat.

Best header? Turner
Best (most accurate? most powerful) shot? White (watch him at pre match warm up)
Best crosser? kightly
Best tackler? Timlin
Best penalty taker Demetriou
Best free kick taker? Wordsworth
Best engine? Timlin
Best left root/right foot? Coker / Wordsworth
Best passer? Cox
Best touch/skills? Kightly
Best movement off the ball? Yearwood
Best movement off the Ball? Cox
Best at running the channels? Fortune

Some v.good observations there mate.
Mohsni’s heading definitely-Otto must be joking to mention Barrett-but up front,Garner with his ability to outjump goalies at full stretch and going back:Jim Fryatt who controlled his headers to perfection but otherwise wasn’t much good.
”Dribbling”suggests trickery rather than speed and I’ve never seen anyone trickier than Johnny McKinven.

Back