• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BEST PERFORMANCE FROM A SOUTHEND KEEPER EVER?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Best goalkeeping performance i can remember from a Southend keepr in the 30 years i have been going.

Fans, Inside the ground - brilliant!
Fans, Outside the away end 5 minutes before the start of the game - Shameful! It almost made people not even enter the ground. Some elderly and some with kids were so disillusioned they didnt care if we'd won or lost, such was the disgraceful scenes.

What happened outside?

Fighting, jumping onto parked cars and glass slinging (dunno if they were plastic or not). Police were bloody slow getting their arses down there to deal with it tbh!

Perhaps someone else can elaborate!

Flavs had a dozen better performances in a Southend shirt than the Man United one. Spurs in the next round, for a start.

I texted my son throughout the game last night. I read them back this morning and noted 9 texts saying that Paul Smith had made a great save. I'm sure there were countless that I didn't text too. He was truly outstanding and stood between us and a huge drubbing.

The first goal was down to either Cresswell or Clohessy just letting the man run off them at the back post.

Second goal was the guy beaten Barker for pace. If Barker's playing LB he needs to make his challenge early and not back off as he'll get beat for pace all day long.

The first goal was not really Cresswell or Clohessy, more down to the fact that Barker showed him on to his right foot. Allowing a right winger the opportuntiy to cross a ball with his strongest foot is just poor. Barker should have been jockying in front of him, not beside him allowng enough space and vision to get in a cross! I was right in front of it and I was shouting at barker, "show him on to his left"!! but litterally 3 seconds later he crossed the ball and the scored!! If the ball was cut out at source then the danger is removed!!

Oh and I think we need a poll on Anthony Strakers performance!! my vote = Shocking!

Fighting, jumping onto parked cars and glass slinging (dunno if they were plastic or not). Police were bloody slow getting their arses down there to deal with it tbh!

Perhaps someone else can elaborate!

Big Shrimp posted on FB about some morons attacking someone already down on the ground with a road sign. Sounds like the scum crawled out from under their rocks last night.

Big Shrimp posted on FB about some morons attacking someone already down on the ground with a road sign. Sounds like the scum crawled out from under their rocks last night.

Very brave little boys on a night out in BIG London.............................

Smith was a joy to watch last night, which was good as the rest were awful.

Top class disply, with some absolutely world class saves thrown in.

Southend's #1

Wasn't there so cannot comment except from what I heard on BP, but what I would like to know from Smudge is 'what was different'? Did he go all out to prove his doubters wrong, or did he just review how he was going to deal with the game?
Whatever the reason, let's hope this is the start of a new Southend goalkeeping legend.

He has always been a decent shot stopper, and they had 25+ shots so it was going to be a game he would get credit from.

Very brave little boys on a night out in BIG London.............................

as I walked back to the coach, the police were arresting a few... heard a copper 'say, you are known to us , and you shouldn't be here, as you are banned ' so I think they had a few out last night as well

Mildenhall put in a shift and a half against MK Dons in a Leyland Daf game at their place when they won 2-0 and could have won 10-0 and we were awful but there weren't as many world class saves as last night.

The tip over the bar in the first half

The one down low to deny Donaldson

The superb double save in the second half

The penalty save

Countless others

Top top performance Paul Smith. Best performance I've ever seen from a Southend keeper.

Not to detract from a fantastic goalkeeping display, but I think the second part of the double save was actually a block by Prosser.

The worst thing about his performance last night (well the most frustrating), is that the two goals we did concede where soft compared to those he saved!

Not saying its his fault though, and his performance was the best I have seen in 11 years following the blues!

Indeed. He wasn't at fault for either goal. The first was poor marking, and the second was a deflected shot from a guy given acres of space.

Must be something to do with Griffin Park as he had an absolute worldy against us there in the LDV semi (I think) 10 years ago - remember three unbelievable point blankers from Newman and Carruthers

Back