• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best Home Debut ??

• Total voters
I used to play football with Barrie Delf. The day he kept goal against Sheffield United he was due to play centre-forward for Leigh Ramblers 4th or 5th team. Fantastic story, I wrote about it in my first book:-)

Cheers for the heads up Bri, i thought it was Trinity he played for, or maybe that was Sundays

He definitely played for Trinity mate, but if the Firsts didn't have a game he would occasionally play centre forward for the 2nds. He was a big unit!!

I think he played for Grays for a good few years afer his Blues debut and leaving Rams.

Right poll added ...

Option 2: Stanley Collymore joined rock bottom Blues in the morning, by 5pm he was a hero after a 2 goal debut verses Notts County that began a 6 month love affair and a fondness that remains 19 years on (i CAN'T believe its so long ago) .. denied a hat trick by a South bank end goalpost

I didnt believe so did some quick maths...yes, you're right. 19 years ago...

Barrie Delf did play for Trinity, but at the time of the Sheffield United match he was due to play for Leigh Ramblers (We went through it all together before I published the story). Barrie had a succesful spell with Grays Athletic where he was a fans favourite. I played in the Borough Combination with him at Little Theatre Club, he was a central defender.

He definitely played for Trinity mate, but if the Firsts didn't have a game he would occasionally play centre forward for the 2nds. He was a big unit!!

Indeed ... or their 3rds or 4ths. Trinity had a fair number of teams in those days. Refereed games he was inviolved in a few times.

The only goal he conceded against Sheff Utd (and in his entire League career) was a penalty scored by ex-southend winger Colin Morris.

Re the Freddy v Cadette debate, I think Freddy's was more special because we plucked him from non-league, whereas Cadette was already a pro. Added to which it was against a team that turned out to be our promotion rivals that season.

Pretty sure we weren't gunning for promotion in 1986/87.

BTW, a third of the teams that were in League 2 with us in 2004/5 are now either non-league or bust.

BTW, a third of the teams that were in League 2 with us in 2004/5 are now either non-league or bust.

Surprised it's not more as there have been 14 relegations out of the League since then !

Re the Freddy v Cadette debate, I think Freddy's was more special because we plucked him from non-league, whereas Cadette was already a pro. Added to which it was against a team that turned out to be our promotion rivals that season.

Pretty sure we weren't gunning for promotion in 1986/87.BTW, a third of the teams that were in League 2 with us in 2004/5 are now either non-league or bust.

We won promotion at Stockport in 1986/7.

The Cadette Orient game was the previous season and I think for a while yes were gunning for promotion as Im sure we were top of the table for a bit early season. Anyway there can be no debate as has been pointed out Cadette made his home debut as a sub against Gillingham in the Milk Cup a few days before the Orient game.

Surprised it's not more as there have been 14 relegations out of the League since then !

Only 7 remain in L2 though both Oxford and Shrewsbury have been non-league in the interim, Bristol Rovers have been L1 which probably means Macc, Northants and Cheltenham have remained throughout ??

Heck scrub that as Northampton and Cheltenham were promoted the year after us

From wiki ...

The 2011-12 season will be Macclesfield Town's 15th consecutive season in the Football League and their 13th consecutive season in Football League Two, making them currently the longest serving members of Football League Two.

Pretty sure we weren't gunning for promotion in 1986/87.

8 teams from 2004/5 are now playing at a higher level than us.

If you look back in 7 years time at this seasons League 2 you will probably get similar results.

Looking at the 2004/5 Conference table, the final top 7 are all now playing League football and another 4 are also playing in League football as well.

Only 3 teams from the 2004/5 Conference are actually still in the Conference they are Tamworth, York & Ebbsfleet (still Gravesend & Northfleet back then)

Barrie Delf did play for Trinity, but at the time of the Sheffield United match he was due to play for Leigh Ramblers (We went through it all together before I published the story). Barrie had a succesful spell with Grays Athletic where he was a fans favourite. I played in the Borough Combination with him at Little Theatre Club, he was a central defender.

Theres a blast from the past. Played against them for Westcliff Amateur many times in the early 90's

Back