• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best tribute act

MK Shrimper

Striker
I've seen a few in my time from an awful Jam one - they couldn't play the fiddly guitar solos that Weller bangs out - to a quite amazing one (Rumours of Fleetwood Mac, and if you closed your eyes it was like being in the room with Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham & Co)...not to mention the Australian Pink Floyd (:zzzzz:) and probably a fat bloke in a bar trying to Robbie Williams (:sick:), so any tales ShrimperZoners?

Saw the Bootleg Beatles twice, both times in venues where the Beatles had played - really great.
Never seen any others, but some of my favourite tribute band names;

Are We Them?
Alike Cooper
It Ain't Half Man Mum

Not sure the last one is genuine - heard that Biscuit's own frontman made it up in an interview!

Mate of mine saw a band called Gabba who did Abba songs in the style of the Ramones which he claims was really good. I've also heard of an all girl lesbian Led Zep tribute called Lez Zep, no idea if they are any good

Bjorn Again are very good, seen them twice.

The only other one I've seen was a Beatles tribute band in Perth W.A. Can't remember their name, but there were 5 in the band and one of them was black :hilarious:

Never seen him live, but Gary Mullen is as close To Freddy Mercury, as humanly possible. His voice, stage mannerisms, everything about him. Can't imagine seeing a better tribute act than this guy tbh.

https://youtu.be/QP17HtJn8WY

Saw Mexrissy - a Mexican Morrisey covers band. I don't like the man but he wasn't there so it was cool.
Flaming Lips have done covers of whole albums by Pink Floyd and the Beatles - think they have done those live....

still say the best band for covers is Snuff but one off tracks rather than full tribute. Punk trombone makes everything sound better

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dWi7oN-D3zA

Mate of mine saw a band called Gabba who did Abba songs in the style of the Ramones which he claims was really good. I've also heard of an all girl lesbian Led Zep tribute called Lez Zep, no idea if they are any good

Saw Lez Zep early this year. Not sure about the lesbian tag (although the drummer wouldn't have looked out of place on a building site!) but definitely all girl. They have been going for a number of years with various line-ups - They bashed out a very passable set & are as close as I will ever get to seeing the real thing.

Best 'tribute' act I have seen in recent years is Band of Friends. Its a bit more than a bog standard tribute act as its ex Rory Gallagher band members Gerry McAvoy (bass for 20 years+) and Ted McKenna (Drums- also of Sensational Alex Harvey Band fame) playing Rory's music. The 3 piece is completed by a Dutchman who can really do the Rory guitar piece. Unfortunately they don't play this part of the world very often but they have put in a London appearance at the Borderline in recent years.

I used to do some work for the drummer of the Illegal Eagles (he ran Nightfly studios near Roots Hall). Not an Eagles fan but they seemed really decent.

Back