• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best TV Documentary Series

C C Csiders

Life President
On the journey to spiritual enlightenment (via the
I've been re-watching The World At War over the last couple of weeks at 10pm on UKTV History - compelling stuff too, great narration by Laurence Olivier, backed by superb footage and eye-witness accounts. Atmospherical title music and pictures aswell. It has got me thinking what, in my opinion, are the best 3 documentary series ever.

My choices in 1,2,3 order are:

1. The World At War, Granada TV
2. Life On Earth, BBC
3. Around The World In Eighty Days, BBC

I've always been a fan on Equinox & Cutting Edge on Channel 4.
Also loving the True Stories season of films on More4, the Dave Gorman trip across the US not funding "the man" one that was on the other week was brilliant (as was the one about the suicides off the Golden Gate Bridge)

I've always been a fan on Equinox & Cutting Edge on Channel 4.
Also loving the True Stories season of films on More4, the Dave Gorman trip across the US not funding "the man" one that was on the other week was brilliant (as was the one about the suicides off the Golden Gate Bridge)

They're not documentary series per se though are they?

*Reaches for pedants hat*

Coronation Street. 'Fly on the wall' at its best.

Seriously, reckon Coast, Blue Planet and Walking with Dinosaurs.

The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau.

For the first time in television history, viewers were taken, in color, under the waves, into the depths of the ocean and around the world to examine marine life

The real football factories... where some apparantly "hard case mental head" actor who plays "hard case mental head" characters in action films goes to football grounds across the world and gets excited by some fireworks.

TV Gold.

The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau.

For the first time in television history, viewers were taken, in color, under the waves, into the depths of the ocean and around the world to examine marine life

I'm still in shock from finding out via another excellent documentary series (James May's 20th Century) that Jacques Cousteau invented the aqualung!

The real football factories... where some apparantly "hard case mental head" actor who plays "hard case mental head" characters in action films goes to football grounds across the world and gets excited by some fireworks.

TV Gold.

Is he the one with the "proper mad boat" who's "starfish keeps flexing"? :eek:

I'm still in shock from finding out via another excellent documentary series (James May's 20th Century) that Jacques Cousteau invented the aqualung!

He found it a right pain beforehand to breath underwater...Maybe had he of played for the Gills.......:rolleyes:

Another good one (although he's a bit of a ****) - Ross Kemp on Gangs

Also, really into Murder Squad & True Crime on itv.

I've been watching World At War too, CC! Did you see the Stalingrad one? Chilling stuff, quite literally.

Laurence Olivier makes that series. You can't turn away when he's talking.

I've been watching World At War too, CC! Did you see the Stalingrad one? Chilling stuff, quite literally.

Laurence Olivier makes that series. You can't turn away when he's talking.

The Stalingrad one was superb. The Russians, as much as the Americans and us of course, helped turn the tide against the Nazis. It finally broke them and from around 1942 onwards they were beaten.

The series teaches you (well me) things I didn't know, such as the Finns and the Hungarians fought alongside the Germans. How much of that was anti-Russian as opposed to pro-German (as I suspect) is not revealed in the documentary.

Back