• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

better team 2005/6 or 2007/8

bluesbloke

Schoolboy
Thought I'd have a gander at the team that played in the fourth league 1 game of 2005/6 and compared it to the 11 that played yesterday:

Southend v Huddersfield (20-8-2005)

Flahavan
Jupp (Hunt 10)
Edwards
Barrett
Wilson
Pettefer
Guttridge (Bentley 75 )
Maher
Gower (Goater 81 )
Eastwood
Gray

Subs not used: Cole, Smith

Brighton v Southend (1-9-2007)

Flahavan
Gilbert
Clarke
Barrett
Wilson
Bailey
Maher
McCormack
Gower (Black 85 )
MacDonald (Odhiambo 89 )
Harrold

Subs not used: Collis, Richards, Moussa

To be honest, i'm not convinced which is the better side. Must have been an awesome team spirit or something.

The only real difference is that the first side had just been promoted.

Oh i don't know...

Last edited:
I think in terms of quality our current side has more, in terms of belief it has to be the 05/06 side.

I think our current squad does have more quality, but i think the present league has more quality. I think the 2005 side was an ok side in a poorish league.

Didnt see the 2005/6 game but its interesting to see the subs timings. I am guessing Jupp was injured but the other two were given longer to get into the game.

Still think the whole club needs more confidence from manager to the whole team. Confidence to change things when needed and confidence to kill off a game in the last 10 mins when you are winning. Confidence to make changes to any player who is not performing to the required level regardless of who they are.

Individually, we have a more quality now, but that is the thing, INDIVIDUALLY. We were more of a team back then, with a better a team spirit and more players who wanted to fight for each other. There are a few too many Billy Big Bollocks now. Summed up by them all wandering off down the tunnel yesterday rather than clap the fans, something that would not have happened last time we were in League 1.

The team from 05/06 would walk all over todays! We are far poorer without The Goat, Fred and Benno

no I dont agree the differance isnt just freddie its the Goat benno wayne gray and petterfer

ooooh god everytime I write our old orward line all I think of is our new one, of matt harrold and mcdonald fuking hell what chance have we got..

Back