• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who is the greater Southend legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If Chico had trouble getting past Harry Halse, then no way is he better than Billy Best. Bit of a no contest in imo, Besty for me

I was never that keen on Hamilton, who frequently disappointed even if sometimes he was amazing. Billy Best was certainly capable of missing easy chances, but his scoring record, his adaptability and his 100% effort must make him one of our all time greats. He made a huge impact when he first signed, and kicked off our 1972 promotion season with a hat trick against Grimsby. We sold him on too soon in my opinion.

Best always looked as if he might score - and he mostly did.
He was truly a hero, and even now he would be in the all-time top 10 of super Blues. Chico was glamorous - and I agree with the above - he had dodgy moments as well. It seems a shame these two are paired together so early, but to the tune of Autumn Almanac by The Kinks - 'Ooooohhh - Billy is the best!

To be fair to Hamilton from the comments above he was 18/19 years old when he joined us and he could be inconsistent & frustrating.

Having said that Billy Best lived up to his surname, other players may have been blessed with more ability and went on to play international football, but Billy was the best player I've seen play for our club.

There is no player in the Seventies that should come out on top with Billy Best, he was the best. He must also be in the top 5 Southend players of all time.
Someone like Chico Hamilton may just about scrape into the top 40.

Best always looked as if he might score - and he mostly did.
He was truly a hero, and even now he would be in the all-time top 10 of super Blues. Chico was glamorous - and I agree with the above - he had dodgy moments as well. It seems a shame these two are paired together so early, but to the tune of Autumn Almanac by The Kinks - 'Ooooohhh - Billy is the best!

Lovin' it! :clap:"I like my football on a Saturday ..."

icon1.gif
The Kinks - 'Autumn Almanac'

I was watching a programme on Ray's songwriting last night where he was speaking about the inspiration for his 'Autumn Almanac.' He spoke of how he has had a spinal condition since a young age and how as a young man, he was worried about having a hunchback when he got older. There was a guy in Muswell Hill back then who was a friend of his dad and who did indeed have a hunchback. He was a keen gardener and Ray co-opted his services to attend to his own garden once he got a bit of money coming in. Ray was watching him tend to the leaves of a tree and admired his dedication to his craft. This inspired Ray to write the opening lines of the song, "On the dew-soaked hedge creeps a crawling caterpillar when the dawn begins to crack, it's all part of my autumn almanac. Breeze blows leaves of a musty-coloured yellow so I sweep them in my sack." Ray has long been the most sensitive observer of the social foibles of 'middle England' (as he called it) and when I get this gig on Penwith Radio soon, I am determined to bring Ray's perspectives of middle England to West Cornwall. I'll also be joining in with the line 'La la la la, la-la la la la-la, my poor rheumatic back,' for hunchbacked gardeners everywhere.

:off topic:... but you gotta love this song.

Lovin' it! :clap:"I like my football on a Saturday ..."

icon1.gif
The Kinks - 'Autumn Almanac'

I was watching a programme on Ray's songwriting last night where he was speaking about the inspiration for his 'Autumn Almanac.' He spoke of how he has had a spinal condition since a young age and how as a young man, he was worried about having a hunchback when he got older. There was a guy in Muswell Hill back then who was a friend of his dad and who did indeed have a hunchback. He was a keen gardener and Ray co-opted his services to attend to his own garden once he got a bit of money coming in. Ray was watching him tend to the leaves of a tree and admired his dedication to his craft. This inspired Ray to write the opening lines of the song, "On the dew-soaked hedge creeps a crawling caterpillar when the dawn begins to crack, it's all part of my autumn almanac. Breeze blows leaves of a musty-coloured yellow so I sweep them in my sack." Ray has long been the most sensitive observer of the social foibles of 'middle England' (as he called it) and when I get this gig on Penwith Radio soon, I am determined to bring Ray's perspectives of middle England to West Cornwall. I'll also be joining in with the line 'La la la la, la-la la la la-la, my poor rheumatic back,' for hunchbacked gardeners everywhere.

:off topic:... but you gotta love this song.

You've just reminded me of the song sang to the tune of Autumn Almanac. With apologies to Ray Davies.

We go to football on a Saturday,
Up in the North Ban alright,
Best behaved supporters in the football leadue,
but when we have to we fight!

They don't write 'em like that anymore.

You've just reminded me of the song sang to the tune of Autumn Almanac. With apologies to Ray Davies.

We go to football on a Saturday,
Up in the North Ban alright,
Best behaved supporters in the football leadue,
but when we have to we fight!

They don't write 'em like that anymore.

This is my team and I'm never going to leave it ...

Back