• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Did you take any photographs of your meeting with him? If so, I know to fans of that time, they would be magic. When you read these comments on him, you realize just how much he meant to fans. He was truly a class act. On the field, he was short but fast. He could read a game so well and appeared to score goals. I'm excited still!

I was very young when I watched Billy Best play but he was an unforgettable Southend United legend. Of course, Billy was around at the same time as the second greatest Best - Georgie. As a naive young boy I had no idea that George was more famous worldwide than our Billy!

Love those names from the past. Eddie Firmarni, Mel Slack, Eddie May, Derek Woody (woodly?), John Baber, Joe Kurila, Robert, Bently, Birks!!! Take me back to that time.:smile:

Just a thought,will any of our legends/greats from the past be invited along for the our day at Wembley? i do hope so.UTB:Worthy:

That news warms my heart. It would have been an honour to meet him. There is so little about him when you Google him. Anyone know if there is any film of his playing days?:unsure:
There is a DVD called "The Team we call United" which you could buy from the Shrimpers Trust it has footage of BILLY BEST on it but not a lot when he was playing, it features from 1967 - 1969 and lasts about 100 minutes. It is great for the misty eyed brigade full of nostalgia.

There is a DVD called "The Team we call United" which you could buy from the Shrimpers Trust it has footage of BILLY BEST on it but not a lot when he was playing, it features from 1967 - 1969 and lasts about 100 minutes. It is great for the misty eyed brigade full of nostalgia.

how can i get one of those dvds then ,nobbler??

You can get them from the SHRIMPERS TRUST the film was made by Alan & Peter Bushell on cine film in the late 60's and then made into a DVD about 5 years ago

remember going down to the shrimpers,in the 70s,and watching it,but how do i contact" the shrimpers trust",

John Kurila, Tony Bentley once told me that when he rolled his socks down, he'd kick anything that moved, including Southend players. Derek Woodley, great quiff, and his shorts rolled up from the top. Which we all copied at school

A forward line of Terry Johnson , Billy Best , Bill Garner, Gary Moore and Bernie Lewis today and we would have been at Wembley .

But Billy Best would have smiled at the support today. yes he saw The North Bank at its very best. Today? Roots Hall at its very best. I reckon Billy would have approved!

Back