• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Billy Van Basten

simac21

Coach
class

on the official webpage

it was a good goal hopefully he'll score some like that next season

"what that coming over the hill its billy paynter, billy Paynter!"

Encouraging to see that he's got the right attitude going into the season though. At the end of the day, the results in these pre-season friendlies don't really matter. It's about getting match fit which he clearly seems to want to do and identifying points we need to work on.

Who needs Eastwood?

Wow, that was a special goal Billy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

der der der der,Billy Paynter!

Great goal from Paynter - I know it's only pre-season but he looks more settled than he did when he was thrust in the deep end at the beginning of last season.

Yes without a doubt he has had time to settle and a decent pre-season.

Hopefully he cant get a few goals pre-season and be set up for the new season.

Not convinced he or Harrold are up to the task but am happy to be proved wrong they can be good at this level and whilst we are playing mickey mouse teams the fact they are scoring is promising.

My personnel opinion is if any of our forwards will even remotly cause Div 1 defences any problems this season I will smear myself in human ****. Honestly if the group of **** we have up front can achieve anything bar the odd 7-8 goals a year tag then I will honestly let you all rub me with your belongings

My personnel opinion is if any of our forwards will even remotly cause Div 1 defences any problems this season I will smear myself in human ****. Honestly if the group of **** we have up front can achieve anything bar the odd 7-8 goals a year tag then I will honestly let you all rub me with your belongings

I have to agree with you here! I dont think any of them put together would even terrify Southend Manor U8's. Like I have said before, I would love them to prove me wrong, but I cant imagine we will get anything too amazing from them.

I know there is still time until the transfer window closed, but really thought we would get someone proven at decent level in after the sale of the one and only Fred. Although due to the amount of strikers we seem to have on the books I cant see it likely that we will bring anyone in. They knock in a few goals against some dire opposition and everyone starts to "get a good feeling". Well quite frankly, Im not convinced.

Like everyone keeps saying though, goals from strikers breeds confidence so lets just pray to high heaven that their confidence will rocket, as it may be the only thing they have!

I know there is still time until the transfer window closed, but really thought we would get someone proven at decent level in after the sale of the one and only Fred.

Any striker proven at a decent level is out of our league already unfortunately.

We have just bought a proven striker at conference level, thats the kind of player we need to aim at.

I am hoping McDonald proves he can continue his scoring at this level, other than than we need to see what Paynter and Harrold can do.

Any striker proven at a decent level is out of our league already unfortunately.

We have just bought a proven striker at conference level, thats the kind of player we need to aim at.

I am hoping McDonald proves he can continue his scoring at this level, other than than we need to see what Paynter and Harrold can do.

Or maybe the club should pull their finger out for a change?! eh?

it may be the only thing they have!

That's a bit harsh, as was the Southend Manor U8's comment (although I appreciate it was a bit tongue-in-cheek). I agree that none of the strikers we have are proven prolific goalscorers but I think some posters are getting a bit carried away with the doom and gloom - possibly because Eastwood was so successful any fear about the goal potential of our existing lot is amplified.

At least give them a bit of a chance.

Well yes I suppose that is the problem, hopefully he will be the next Freddy, afterall he came from nowhere. I think Macdonald is the only player that I half half a hope for. Seeing the rest of them names on the teamsheet, quite frankly terrfies me.

That's a bit harsh, as was the Southend Manor U8's comment (although I appreciate it was a bit tongue-in-cheek). I agree that none of the strikers we have are proven prolific goalscorers but I think some posters are getting a bit carried away with the doom and gloom - possibly because Eastwood was so successful any fear about the goal potential of our existing lot is amplified.

I didnt say that I wouldnt give them a chance I just dont have very high hopes for them, and I am pretty sure the majority of the fans feel that way. Dont get me wrong, I would love for them to all prove me wrong, and yes maybe this is the right level now for the players we have, I just dont feel too confident at the moment with the strikeforce we have and I dont think I am wrong to feel like that.

I agree, we haven't seen (at this club) anyone bar Bradbury in this division and even then he doesn't really count because he played RM when he joined us.

Paynter scored 14 goals the season before he joined us, Harrold 9, Hooped scored 2 in 4 for Borient last season...lets not get the swords out just yet, hey?

Well yes I suppose that is the problem, hopefully he will be the next Freddy, afterall he came from nowhere. I think Macdonald is the only player that I half half a hope for. Seeing the rest of them names on the teamsheet, quite frankly terrfies me.

We need to stop hoping people will be 'the next Freddy' as it only breeds comparison with the original. Freddy was a one-off, like Collymore was, and we probably won't see another like him for a fair while.

Dont get me wrong, Im hopefull of McDonald, but I think Bradbury should make way now and neither Harrold nor Paynter have shown me they are going to be prolific.

However Im clinging on to the hope its an easier league and we will create more opportunities than in the past and they will fare better at this level.

Time will tell...

Dont get me wrong, Im hopefull of McDonald, but I think Bradbury should make way now and neither Harrold nor Paynter have shown me they are going to be prolific.

If Bradbury starts the season first choice I will be dismayed. He's far too slow now.

I do question how anyone can judge Harrold and especially Paynter's scoring abilities in this league when we've not seen them play at this level though. They weren't good enough in the Championship, but the gap in the class of defender in the two leagues was pretty big.

If Bradbury starts the season first choice I will be dismayed. He's far too slow now.

I like Bradbury and think what he has brought to the side is often missed/ignored due to the lack of goals.

However without a 20 goal a season man we need two strikers to get 30 goals and if Bradbury is on the pitch we wont get that.

I think he may still play due to experience but I agree Id rather he didnt.

As to too slow, unfortunately he doesnt look that slow compared to Paynter or Harrold who dont look too pacy either!

Back