• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Blackpool FC 2-1 Southend United

I don't like to moan but that ref was such a homer. Jeez he was poor!
I thought we played well but didn't get to grips with Gnanduillet (their giant).
If only Macca had put away one of his two first half chances, we'd have been in the game.
We no longer roll over after the first goal and have a team to support fellow Shrimpers.
A new ground but boy was that cold today.

We all have to stick together I do feel the team is improving if only we sign a few players I feel Campbell will be a great manager when he has his squad of players and gets us winning

It had to be Gnanduillet.....it's always bloody Gnandouillet, whether it be Chesterfield of Blackpool. That's how long that tall streak of s**t has been a pain in our a**e. As a small crumb of confort .............and for those who still believe in miracles...........Bolton, Tranmere and AFC Wimbledon all lost todat as well. It's SO improbable we'll get a result on Tuesday night.......that we probably will!

Love this shot of our away supporters. I reckon that gives a new meaning to isolated!

7f9359a9c3940f1b27bb726db1b8be7b.jpg

If we had only appointed Sol after 10 days and not 45 the team would be this fit and this organised a month earlier and we would’ve beaten MK, Tranmere, not lost to Bolton.

We actually didn’t play bad enough to lose and the positive is we created quite a few decent chances. Macca should’ve scored that 1-on-1 as well as a few decent chances for Mantom which drew good saves out of their GK. But again, that was the story. They’re keeper made saves and I don’t remember Oxley having to make one but picked the ball out of his net twice...

MOTM for me was Mantom, he was everywhere and had a few decent shots from 20-25 yards which on another day could’ve beaten the GK. He also technically got the assist for Macca’s goal of the season strike. Thought the young LB Clifford looked composed and made some great blocks to stop crosses coming in but unfortunately the one he missed landed on the head of that big lump who loves playing against us!

Nobody expects anything from us on Tuesday, but if we set up how we did today, hopefully with the new lads in so Elvis can go back to RB and Dimi back to CM and the winger to replace Barratt, I think we might nick something...

It’s nice to feel some positives after a loss and those 4-0 drubbings feel a long time ago now.

It does seem to be that a lack of height at either end is making life harder for us, hopefully that can be addressed before the start of next season.

Agree with most of the match report comments - overall was a good performance, we did not give in, more than a few ref decisions were against us, lacked a bit of quality/muscle/height, but overall I think the team can be proud

I was privileged to be the match day guest of Derek Spence who in turn was the main sponsors guest for the day. So we got an 'access all areas' tour, met the Blackpool manager in the changing room pre-match (genuine nice guy), cheekily signed up Taylor Moore for SUEPA (and the one and only Ricky Footman too), stayed in the hotel which is a great facility, and met up with their Former Players folk and guests including Stuart Parker,

Blackpool is a great club. They've emerged out of the very recent depths of despair, have an owner who is able to and prepared to invest in the facilities and the playing set up, have corporate facilities that are good and very well managed, and above all every single one of the very many club staff we came across was smiling, friendly, helpful and a real credit to their club.

Derek as ever was on top form, continuing to be involved with the club via their former players group (his wife still works at the club too), he remains very proud of his time as a Shrimper, and is looking forward immensely to coming back to Roots Hall on 21 March for the Bolton game (he'll be in the club shop pre-match selling his book)

Some more pics on my Roots To The 92 Facebook page and the SUEPA page later but here are a couple for now
3.jpg9.jpg

I didn't give Tom Clifford a mention in my original report so I'm rectifying that now. Tom had another steady game against a very tricky winger in Liam Feeney and by and large he stuck with it. He even managed a few marauding runs forward in the second half. But the real point of this post is that he did what a decent full back should do and headed clear off our line where previously we would have watched the ball float in. Keep it up Tom, you're doing ok.

I didn't give Tom Clifford a mention in my original report so I'm rectifying that now. Tom had another steady game against a very tricky winger in Liam Feeney and by and large he stuck with it. He even managed a few marauding runs forward in the second half. But the real point of this post is that he did what a decent full back should do and headed clear off our line where previously we would have watched the ball float in. Keep it up Tom, you're doing ok.

He had a good game but should have stopped the cross for the first goal.

Never mind, it’s a learning curve.

We set up to draw the game in the first half.

We set up to win the game in the second half.

That’s why we played differently.

All down to Sol and his ‘tactics’.’

“You saw the performances of the players we recently brought to the club and that’s the big thing we tried to do in the January transfer window.”

Crikey, if only we had thought of that.......

He had a good game but should have stopped the cross for the first goal.

Never mind, it’s a learning curve.

Clifford played better than Demetriou and Elvis was better than Dieng.

People who claim JW isn't good enough should certainly not be using Dieng as an example. Look at him for both goals and that sums up his game and not just on Saturday......Heart the size of a pea.

To be fair, Dieng looks more useful at CB than he ever did in midfield but he’s merely plugging a gap. Unsurprisingly he was back in and as captain, Sol clearly rates him and sees something there. Would’ve been interesting to see Mitchell Nelson up against Gnanduillet, to give him something to think about, but no way Dieng was gonna stop him. Well, he didn’t and for his 3/4 good chances he wasn’t near him let alone trying to cut out the supply from the wing. The first goal was scored with ease, I felt for poor Elvis. We need proper experienced centre backs.

ON a blustery weekend, Southend United’s hopes of their first back-to-back wins in 16 months were blown away in Blackpool.

More...

Back