• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blues keeping tabs on Grays hot-shot Dumaka

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown has confirmed he is keeping tabs on Grays Athletic hot-shot Dumebi Dumaka.

More...

When clubs like Bournemouth, West Ham and Ipswich are looking at him do we really stand a chance of getting him?

I'm sure clubs like that "look at" a lot of players. The fact that Mark Bentley appears to have gone out of his way to bring him to the attention of someone at the club and that someone has run this story through the Echo suggests that if we want him then we've a decent chance of getting him.

When clubs like Bournemouth, West Ham and Ipswich are looking at him do we really stand a chance of getting him?

Of Course, Ron promised him that he will get paid on time, he will be playing in a brand new 4 sided spanking stadium before Guy Fawkes night & Phil backed it up with him promising that he will ditch our 5-4-1 formation and adopt the 4-3-3... playing alongside Messi & Ronaldo for the JPT clash against Bristol Rovers!!

It's a done deal.... what's not believe!! :hilarious:

Very much so. As a player you have to believe in your capabilities I suppose but a jump from playing non-league to Division 2 (Ipswich) or the top division (Wham! and Bournemouth) comes with the risk of sitting in the reserves and never getting on the pitch to gain the experience and prove yourself.

Whilst a move to Southend could see you involved in the JPT (for instance) and a chance to shine ........... and then develop from there.

Very much so. As a player you have to believe in your capabilities I suppose but a jump from playing non-league to Division 2 (Ipswich) or the top division (Wham! and Bournemouth) comes with the risk of sitting in the reserves and never getting on the pitch to gain the experience and prove yourself.

Whilst a move to Southend could see you involved in the JPT (for instance) and a chance to shine ........... and then develop from there.

And a good manager, back room staff, youth team who are doing very well..... Very positive vibes from every direction to persuade a young player.

Just thinking out loud. Has there every been a player who's successfully made one jump from non-league to PL in the modern era (say the last 20 years).

Chris Smalling is the only player I can think of right now, and his route wasn't exactly 'unknown' to 'superstar', he'd already been Millwall youth and signed a pro-deal at Boro before dropping down to Ryman League with Maidstone.

Just thinking out loud. Has there every been a player who's successfully made the jump from non-league to PL in the modern era (say the last 20 years).

Chris Smalling is the only player I can think of right now, and his route wasn't exactly 'unknown' to 'superstar', he'd already been Millwall youth and signed a pro-deal at Boro before dropping down to Ryman League with Maidstone.

Just beat me to it!

Just thinking out loud. Has there every been a player who's successfully made one jump from non-league to PL in the modern era (say the last 20 years).

I think Ian Wright would be just outside that time limit.

And Les Ferdinand and Stuart Pearce.

Yes. A similar level of clubs were looking at Isaac Layne as well and we managed to get him, however pointless that ended up being.

There's always one essential piece of information when considering the potential of a young player,but nobody has stated it on this thread and the hopeless Echo (it tells us Brown is 54) fails in this respect,of course-how old is he??

I thought Wright and Pearce went to.Div 2 First. Didn't Wright and Bright play against us ?
When those 2 slaughtered us it was a league cup tie.The great Cyrille Regis scored a hat trick on his debut and carried on scoring in the top division as soon as he arrived at WBA from Wealdstone.

There's always one essential piece of information when considering the potential of a young player,but nobody has stated it on this thread and the hopeless Echo (it tells us Brown is 54) fails in this respect,of course-how old is he??

Twenty one.

I thought Wright and Pearce went to.Div 2 First. Didn't Wright and Bright play against us ?

Pearce went from Wealdstone to Coventry who were top flight forever.

Not sure when Crystal "team of the 90s" Palace went up, but as someone said they were top flight when Wright and Bright put 8 past us in the League Cup.

Ian Woan's a slightly more recent shout (but still out of the arbitrary time frame).

Back