• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Blues waiting to hear from Defender

can we change the title of the thread to...

"Blues STILL waiting to hear from Defender" ?

Judging by Tilson's article on the OS, I can't help but think that any plans we harboured at the beginning of the close-season have been dealt some serious set backs for whatever reason...

Tilson's latest attitude of "we'll wait till players start to panic" couldn't be further from the "we'll get players in early so they can settle" stance that RM and Tilly promoted in May. It's obvious that the club need to learn from past mistakes, and at this moment in time I really can't see us starting the season with the kind of momentum we need to... Defences are built on familiarity and understanding, something we've got no chance of forming now.

Only this season, I fear, we can't afford another run of poor results... The league will be so tight this season that such a run could see us in trouble. Serious trouble.

Judging by Tilson's article on the OS, I can't help but think that any plans we harboured at the beginning of the close-season have been dealt some serious set backs for whatever reason...

Tilson's latest attitude of "we'll wait till players start to panic" couldn't be further from the "we'll get players in early so they can settle" stance that RM and Tilly promoted in May. It's obvious that the club need to learn from past mistakes, and at this moment in time I really can't see us starting the season with the kind of momentum we need to... Defences are built on familiarity and understanding, something we've got no chance of forming now.

Only this season, I fear, we can't afford another run of poor results... The league will be so tight this season that such a run could see us in trouble. Serious trouble.

yet dorian came in and had a pretty instant impact, a good player is a good player whether hes been at the club two weeks or two months, its a crazy game at the moment with players waiting and waiting for the best contract, hopefully we get the right players at the right price(cheap)

yet dorian came in and had a pretty instant impact, a good player is a good player whether hes been at the club two weeks or two months, its a crazy game at the moment with players waiting and waiting for the best contract, hopefully we get the right players at the right price(cheap)

Dervite was an exception to the rule, purely because of his immense natural ability.

We only signed him on loan so he could get match fitness following his serious injury, and we were never even close to signing him, or a player of that calibre, permanently.

Dervite was an exception to the rule, purely because of his immense natural ability.

We only signed him on loan so he could get match fitness following his serious injury, and we were never even close to signing him, or a player of that calibre, permanently.

Spurs signed him because he showed some quality, but there was a time after his injury that they were looking to offload him and we took a punt on offering him some football. I'm not sure if we ever looked at anything permanent. Now he's fully recovered (and developed) there is obviously some interest in him. I'm not saying we really had a chance of signing him... but who knows, he put himself in the shop window when playing for us, he wasn't thought of particularly highly before he came to us... 'average defender' my mate at spurs academy said

I'm not sure if that's necessarily true. Ideally you'd give your players a chance to settle down and get to know each other but these are Professionals and are quite capable in many cases of hitting the ground running. Didn't Efe Sodje sign just before midnight on the day before a game?

I agree with tilly in that the pro footballer these days hold out for a decent deal/ package and they may look at what we have offered and put it down as a last resort/ stop scenerio . That is the modern way of life in that business and we must accept that .

HOWEVER i pointed out at least 3 months ago that Clarke was defo leaving and from what he said the club knew too , so I reckon that has been 4-5 months to try and replace a v good CB in league 1 terms and as of yet nothing .

I will not panic yet , but it won't wash with me if a statement comes out claiming that we tried our best but couldn't get anyone in , what makes it small laughable too was that the Camano clown even got a game for us , I reckon he would just get in a Essec senior league side .

Get the back four sorted and we will have a good season i have no doubt , as getting goals is not our main worry .

what worrys me is the panic that untill DD stepped in towards the back end of last season used to happen when we was put under pressure by teams , it runs through the rest of the team , when one or two players panic it has a knock on affect .

I have faith in our midfiield and even our forward line has a lot of variety in it and will get us goals , but it must be so frustrating for Tilly as he knows we are maybe 3 players away from doing well in this league . These players are defenders IMO .

Last edited:
I agree with tilly in that the pro footballer these days hold out for a decent deal/ package and they may look at what we have offered and put it down as a last resort/ stop scenerio . That is the modern way of life in that business and we must accept that .

HOWEVER i pointed out at least 3 months ago that Clarke was defo leaving and from what he said the club knew too , so I reckon that has been 4-5 months to try and replace and v good CB in league 1 terms and as of yet nothing .

I will not panic yet , but it won't wash with me if a statement comes out claiming that we tried our best but couldn't get anyone in , what makes it small laughable too was the Camano clown that even got a game for us , I reckon he would just get in a Essec senior league side .

Get the back four sorted and we will have a good season i have no doubt , as getting goals is not our main worry , its the panic that untill DD stepped in towards the back end of last season used to happen when we was put under pressure by teams .

I have faith in our midfiield and even our forward line has a lot of variety in it and will get us goals , but it must be so frustrating for Tilly as he knows we are maybe 3 players away from doing well in this league . These players are defenders IMO .

Top post, green all day

Yeh that backfour really does need to be sorted out. Barrett has a massive season ahead of him, and ive just got a feeling that tilly might leave it a bit too late to bring in a left back, leaving Herd out there on his own, which could be a worry, the kid deffinatly has the potential, but would deffinatly struggle with 40-50 games there, but tilly has not got much choice with the funds he has available apart from putting in the youth players in empty slots

HOWEVER i pointed out at least 3 months ago that Clarke was defo leaving and from what he said the club knew too , so I reckon that has been 4-5 months to try and replace a v good CB in league 1 terms and as of yet nothing.
Well that's remarkable foresight of you, bearing in mind that most of us knew that he was leaving from July last year, when he refused to sign an extended contract. There was never any chance of him signing a new deal after that.

The club have had 12 months to replace him & also 6 months until January to recoup some money against the £300k he cost.

The club have had 12 months to replace him & also 6 months until January to recoup some money against the £300k he cost.

During his time here, he cost us a hell of a lot more than £300k. I'd say Clarke cost us financially £1m+... And probably a lot more by setting the precedent for Championship wages for League One class players.

Incidentally, let's not forget about Stepanov. Maybe he's destined to join us - and his wee injury, plus our inability to find anything better in the transfer market, will end up in him signing on the dotted line before too long.

:)

He has managed to get a much higher wage at Huddersfield, because they didn't have to fork out on a transfer fee.

We wouldn't have got a penny if we'd sold him in January as, although he was under contract, he didn't put in a transfer request and, because of the above, was happy enough to see out the rest of his contract.

His agent has played the perfect game for his client (and himself).

If only we'd had some decent defensive cover last season, we could have said 'sign a new contract, or rot in the reserves'! although I don't think missing 20 or so games would have bothered him all that much.

He has managed to get a much higher wage at Huddersfield, because they didn't have to fork out on a transfer fee.

We wouldn't have got a penny if we'd sold him in January as, although he was under contract, he didn't put in a transfer request and, because of the above, was happy enough to see out the rest of his contract.

His agent has played the perfect game for his client (and himself).

If only we'd had some decent defensive cover last season, we could have said 'sign a new contract, or rot in the reserves'! although I don't think missing 20 or so games would have bothered him all that much.
Oh, agree wholeheartedly. I'm not denying that PC & his advisors got it spot on, just that we had plenty of time to sort our own lives out & failed, not for the 1st time. But you can sell a player who's not asked for a transfer they just get a share of your fee, which would counterbalance part of the Udders deal.

I know I'm in a minority but I said at the time & still believe we might well have stayed in the CCC had we sold Fredy in the January window & reinvested some of that money in a couple of decent players. He patently wanted out (or should have!), his performances after the Manure game & particularly from February onwards were nowhere near his best, his value then diminished as his play become more limited (i.e. I only shoot from 25 yards) & his contract period reduced. As far I I saw in January it was a no lose situation. We were going down anyway, selling Fredy was our only hope.

Again as with PC we weren't as proactive as a number of other clubs seem to be.

Oh, agree wholeheartedly. I'm not denying that PC & his advisors got it spot on, just that we had plenty of time to sort our own lives out & failed, not for the 1st time. But you can sell a player who's not asked for a transfer they just get a share of your fee, which would counterbalance part of the Udders deal.

But you can only sell if both parties want it to happen. Clarke's agent mus have told him it would be more beneficial to sit tight and wait for the offers to come in over the summer. It is very rare for players to be sold in the January window when they only have a few months remaining on their contract. That must mean there is more in it for the new club and / or the player if he is on a free.

You are right about the length of time we had to replace him though....

one definite signing this week, possibly two, cant go into details sorry and all that, watch this space

I assume that your prospective signing was the one that go a call from his agent, just as he was about to put pen to paper.......and then rushed off.
A mate of mine plays golf with Tilly and the message is, if you know this players telephone number, can you give him a call and say ..................

.............Tilly would like his biro back!

Back