• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Boring Boring Chelsea

Is it just me or did anybody else find last night's cup-tie & the majority of recent Chelsea games very dull?

Mourinho is making the infamous Boring Boring Arsenal teams managed by George Graham in the late 80s/early 90s look positively swashbuckling.

OK, "the chosen one" appears to have mentally lost the plot recently but with such players at his disposal and memories of the stylish football he played whilst Porto won the Champions League you'd think they would want to win every game 4-3.

Another nail in the coffin of top-flight English football!

I very rarely watch top flight football these days but saw the last 15 minutes of the game last night. I cannot think of a worse advertisement for British football than that.

Even when Liverpool, Man Ure and Arsenal were at their peak you could hardly accuse those clubs of a mentality of plain cheating, diving, kicking the ball away etc. That stuck out to me like a sore thumb. If that's what I've missed from abstaining from the Premier$hite for the last couple of seasons then I haven't missed much.

Diving has been going ever since I've had a hole in my arse but usually limited to one, maybe two players not the whole bloody team.

I see FIFA making attempts to cut it out. No doubt as soon as referees try to enforce it the players and media will hound them and we'll be back to square one.

They, and Newcastle to be fair, were deadly dull last night. Add to that their (Chelsea's) blatant diving, and its not just the foreigners (take an ashamed bow Joe Cole and SWP) and they are becoming the team everyone will love to hate, over and above, Man U.

3/4 of the Premier$hites games are like that, its become too boring. The FA Cup has been devalued, the Premier$hite has become a survival exercise for most teams. High ticket prices and tv have sucked the passion out of the top divison. No surprise that attendances in all the other divisions have risen strongly over the last few seasons. Shame the media still wont recognise this. If it aint Chelsea, Fergie or Henry they aint interested.

If you believe the press then the culture of diving has only arrived here with the advent of so many foreigners. I can remember back to the days of Rodney Marsh & Francis Lee (to name just two) neither of whom where not worried about falling over in the penalty box.

It is a sad fact that the culture of cheating is endemic in football, and is now also creeping into many other sports.

It is up to the people who run football to stamp it out altogether. The problem is that referees are damned if they do or damned if they don't. If they send a player off for what they perceive as a dive they are called all the tw&ts under the sun likewise if they don't.

What the governing bodies want to implement is a zero tolerance, and back the refs. If any player is thought to be guilty of simulation then its a straight red card. This may spoil some games, which is a shame, and it might catch out a few genuine fouls. What it may also do is get through the skulls of these overpaid, cheating prima donnas that they will not get away with it any longer. Any player guilty of diving should also receive a minimum 10 match ban.

This may not completely eradicate the culture of cheating, but it may go along way to.

Trouble is the governing bodies will never have the gumption to grasp the nettle.

Chelsea have been below par for the last few weeks now. This contrasts with Man utd, Liverpool and Arsenal looking every bit worthy of the Premier$hite title in the last few weeks. If the league were to begin today, i dare say Chelsea would have a fight on their hands.

Barcelona showed Chelsea to be a very ordinary side, with very little imagination and influence in attack. Fulham showed chelsea to be a very 1 dimensional side, everything goes through a certain chain of key players... namely Makelele, Lampard and Drogba. If you can effectively take 1 person out of the chain as Malbranque took Makelele out, the whole attack unravels.

If things aren't going their way, the team loses its head like they did at the weekend. Last night was atrocious to watch. Del Horno is an absolute disgrace and done himself no favours in the row over his tussle with Messi, SWP should be ashamed to as he was once known for his honesty and talent as a player...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Mar. 23 2006,11:40)]I very rarely watch top flight football these days but saw the last 15 minutes of the game last night. I cannot think of a worse advertisement for British football than that. ...If that's what I've missed from abstaining from the Premier$hite for the last couple of seasons then I haven't missed much.
You've also missed an Arsenal team that are one of the most entertaining I've ever sen. They won the Prem'ship in 2003/04 withough losing a game and by playing wonderful, stylish football week in week out.

No need to focus solely on the negative.

If Chelsea are boring, than the Premier$hite must be boring, as no team has scored more goals than "boring" Chelsea.

In fact we've only scored 3 more goals than Chelsea, despite playing 8 more games.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bring-back-N'Diaye @ Mar. 23 2006,16:46)]If Chelsea are boring, than the Premier$hite must be boring, as no team has scored more goals than "boring" Chelsea.

In fact we've only scored 3 more goals than Chelsea, despite playing 8 more games.
Yeah but most of their results the past few weeks have been 1-0 victories, much as they were last year. They only seem to be able to turn on the style every so often which for a team of (I hate to use the term) galacticos is shocking.

True or false, was last night's game a terrible advert for English football? I'd add Sunday's match with Fulham in there too (but that was only watchable as they were losing and started to self-implode)!!!

I think Newcastle have been dreadful since Keegan left. Dalglish turned them into a very dull side and no one has been able to pick them up since.

Last night's game was truly dull. Can't see Charlton v Middlesboro being much better.

Can't stand to watch Chelsea. They sum up what is wrong with Prem football. Drogba's a vile little cheating tw&t isn't he!?
wow.gif

Too many of them like to roll around in fake agony - Drogba, Robben, Del Horno.... and now Phillips has caught it as well

Drogba is also one of the worst value players I've ever seen - how much did Chelsea pay for this average Henry wannabe...?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Uxbridge Shrimper @ Mar. 23 2006,15:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Mar. 23 2006,11:40)]I very rarely watch top flight football these days but saw the last 15 minutes of the game last night. I cannot think of a worse advertisement for British football than that. ...If that's what I've missed from abstaining from the Premier$hite for the last couple of seasons then I haven't missed much.
You've also missed an Arsenal team that are one of the most entertaining I've ever sen. They won the Prem'ship in 2003/04 withough losing a game and by playing wonderful, stylish football week in week out.

I haven't been totally oblivious to it. I have watched the occassional game and I'm not trying to be over critical.

The point I'm trying to make is that everyone knocks the team at the top of the table. However when Arsenal were top it was the Arsene Wenger world against me mentality. When Man U were dominant it was just the arrogance and the "god-given right" that everyone had a problem with. When Liverpool were top dogs the only hate factor was that they were scousers
biggrin.gif

Each of the three teams were worthy of respect and were generally a terrific advert for English football globally which is a heck of a lot more than seems to be able to be said for the current Chelsea team.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Uxbridge Shrimper @ Mar. 23 2006,15:49)]
[b said:

Agreed, but I still hate them.
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ Mar. 23 2006,22:00)]Too many of them like to roll around in fake agony - Drogba, Robben, Del Horno.... and now Phillips has caught it as well

Drogba is also one of the worst value players I've ever seen - how much did Chelsea pay for this average Henry wannabe...?
In the reigon of 20-30 million wasn't it?

Biggest waste of money I've ever seen.

I've seen the replays, and I'd say SWP was waiting for some contact, didn't get it and fell over because he was off balance personally. I do hate divers though, you want to dive, the Home Nations need a few medals in the diving pool.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In the reigon of 20-30 million wasn't it?

I do think Freddy Eastwood is better than Drogba & Chelsea have to fork out £40 million for him if Drogba worth £26 milliom, I mean he did'nt score Vs Col Ewes in 5th Round and miss loads of chance which freddy can finish them off with blindfolded
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCEssex @ Mar. 23 2006,18:10)]I think Newcastle have been dreadful since Keegan left.  Dalglish turned them into a very dull side and no one has been able to pick them up since.

Last night's game was truly dull. Can't see Charlton v Middlesboro being much better.
What about when they finished 3rd under Bobby Robson in 2002/03. And 4th the next year?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Murkey_Mouse @ Mar. 24 2006,11:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In the reigon of 20-30 million wasn't it?

I do think Freddy Eastwood is better than Drogba & Chelsea have to fork out £40 million for him if Drogba worth £26 milliom, I mean he did'nt score Vs Col Ewes in 5th Round and miss loads of chance which freddy can finish them off with blindfolded
biggrin.gif
Not sure about that.
But it is fair to say that Freddy gave the Ewes defence for trouble than Drogba & Crespo combined.

Drogba: £24.5m
Crespo: £30m odd

And niether of them can hit a cows arse with a Banjo

Back