• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Boring i know, but Tilson IS to blame,

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shooter mcgavin @ Oct. 22 2006,20:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kris @ Oct. 22 2006,19:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Welly7 @ Oct. 22 2006,18:54)]We need at least two, probably three new faces to compete in the Championship. The priorty has to be midfield partner for Kev. Someone who is more of an athlete and can impose themselves on games at this level. Someone who can make late, telling runs into the box and score a few goals. I don't know who that man is, but I'm sure it's not Alan McCormack. He did a good job for us in League two, but this isn't League two and he is not the answer.
Although I agree McCormack isn't a natural goalscoring midfielder, I'm sure that with Maher behind him, he'd have plenty of license to get forward. Those two goals against Macclesfield prove that he is more than capable of making those late runs into the box.

Yes, I'm aware that was in League 2 but I thought he looked extremely classy at that level and the fact he's been making the bench at Preston, who are challenging at the top end of the table, shows that they rate him enough as a squad player for the Championship.

Whatever, I'm quite sure that McCormack would help us play at a higher tempo with his tenacious tackling and intelligent passing - and he's surely a better option than the misfiring Guttridge at the moment.
Not sure if he's injured or not, but McCormack hasn't been in Preston's squad for the past few games.

I've two schools of thought on this:

1) Preston don't see him as being good enough (and therefore wouldn't mind him coming here?)
2) He stood out at League Two level and by all accounts had a decent time of it in the SPL last season. Whilst the SPL is a relatively poor league, it must be comparable with at least the bottom half of the Championship surely?

We need someone in the middle of the park. It's blatantly obvious to me, a host of others but most importantly not Tilson!! I wonder if Bradbury could play that role as he does seem to be the best footballer (in terms of technical ability) that we have?

Watch this space I guess...........
Bradbury played in the centre of midfield for Oxford.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Oct. 22 2006,19:33)]According to Soccerbase, Francis only has four bookings? When was this fifth one?
rock.gif

Oh and wiggy, you've been going on about Luke for a year now, you'd think you'd be able to spell his name by now.
wow.gif
wink.gif
And you have been protecting him for a year, some people just take oh so long to recognise whether a player has got it or not, Carl Emberson was another one you liked i seem to remember!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveo1 @ Oct. 22 2006,20:01)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I don't think Clarke has nearly enough finesse
Do we need finesse? I think we need a scrapper first. Finesse can come later.
Incidentally Calrke wouldt necessarily be my first choice but given the current squad stauts he is the best option imo
I know what you mean but I think bringing Clarke in there would be a very negative move and the best we could hope for would be a 1-0 win with some moment of magic from Eastwood.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Oct. 22 2006,20:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Oct. 22 2006,19:33)]According to Soccerbase, Francis only has four bookings? When was this fifth one?
rock.gif

Oh and wiggy, you've been going on about Luke for a year now, you'd think you'd be able to spell his name by now.
wow.gif
wink.gif
And you have been protecting him for a year, some people just take oh so long to recognise whether a player has got it or not, Carl Emberson was another one you liked i seem to remember!
Me personally!?
rock.gif

I thought Emberson was sh!t and I said so on here. It didn't go down too well at the time either.
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Oct. 22 2006,20:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Oct. 22 2006,20:12)]
[b said:
rock.gif

wow.gif
wink.gif
Me personally!?    
rock.gif

I thought Emberson was sh!t and I said so on here. It didn't go down too well at the time either.  
wink.gif
Don't remember you ever getting of the fence!

If we're getting desperate enough to consider playing a hapless centre half in centre mid, why not Che?
rock.gif

Personally, I'd have him at either right back rather than Francis or centre mid in preference to Gutts. Yes he's not the fastest thing on 2 legs but he can do something that both SF & LG haven't got a clue about which is to actually tackle.

Don't forget we've played him out of position for his entire time with us & let's face it we've got bugger all other options at the moment.
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Oct. 22 2006,20:33)]According to Soccerbase, Francis only has four bookings? When was this fifth one?
rock.gif
Yeah, I have only four bookings for Francis as well this season? Do any carry over from last year?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Oct. 22 2006,16:04)]I'm rather warming to calls for a central midfielder to be brought in on loan.
Warming?! To be honest, we've needed a centre-mid on loan for about eight weeks at least. Guttridge has been utter d*g-sh!t this season - and this is coming from someone (i.e. me) who used to be one of his biggest fans.

He's either out of his depth, or has totally lost interest. Either way, at the moment, he is worse than useless... the times he has ceded possession to the oppostion, failed to track back, failed to find a blue shirt and failed to make any impression going forward is embarrassing.

The problem with Gutts - and the problem for Tilly - is that there is no viable alternative. That Barrett is being seriously suggested as a viable alternative speaks volumes for the paucity of our resources. Of the other contenders:

*Jay Smith hasn't been doing the business for the reserves. He has completely failed to spot that this is the best opportunity he's had since returning from injury of getting back into the side - Gutts's place is there for the taking. Smith should have busted a gut to oust Gutts. That Jay hasn't suggests that he's a busted flush. The only way for him is out, I'm afraid.

*Moussa is still too raw, although the despatches from the stiffs haven't been overly encouraging in recent weeks.

*Lewis Hunt is not, nor ever will be, a midfielder - largely because he can't pass.

*Gary Hooper? The poor lad probably doesn't know if he's coming or going at the moment.

= = = =

For me, the only viable option at the moment is for Gower to play centre mid, and for Mitchell Cole to be recalled from loan immediately. Gower has played in the centre of the park before - he said it was his favourite position whilst at Barnet - and Marky G has at least demonstrated that he has the footballing ability to compete at this level.

Maher would at least have a creative and attacking outlet next to him - leaving him to concentrate more on being a bit of an enforcer, rather than having to do two jobs at once.

Adding in JCR would make us a munchkin-like, lightweight midfield... but isn't that what we are already? At least we'd have decent footballers and reasonable amounts of pace - and at least that might be able to cause sides a bit of a problem?

Whatever the answer is, though, I cannot see a single convincing argument for keeping Guttridge in the side. He needs to be dropped, he needs to sort his life out, and he needs to prove that he has the ability and hunger to compete at this level.

Oo.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 24 2006,10:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Oct. 22 2006,16:04)]I'm rather warming to calls for a central midfielder to be brought in on loan.
Warming?!  To be honest, we've needed a centre-mid on loan for about eight weeks at least.  Guttridge has been utter d*g-sh!t this season - and this is coming from someone (i.e. me) who used to be one of his biggest fans.

He's either out of his depth, or has totally lost interest.  Either way, at the moment, he is worse than useless... the times he has ceded possession to the oppostion, failed to track back, failed to find a blue shirt and failed to make any impression going forward is embarrassing.

The problem with Gutts - and the problem for Tilly - is that there is no viable alternative.  That Barrett is being seriously suggested as a viable alternative speaks volumes for the paucity of our resources.  Of the other contenders:

*Jay Smith hasn't been doing the business for the reserves.  He has completely failed to spot that this is the best opportunity he's had since returning from injury of getting back into the side - Gutts's place is there for the taking.  Smith should have busted a gut to oust Gutts.  That Jay hasn't suggests that he's a busted flush.  The only way for him is out, I'm afraid.

*Moussa is still too raw, although the despatches from the stiffs haven't been overly encouraging in recent weeks.

*Lewis Hunt is not, nor ever will be, a midfielder - largely because he can't pass.

*Gary Hooper?  The poor lad probably doesn't know if he's coming or going at the moment.

= = = =

For me, the only viable option at the moment is for Gower to play centre mid, and for Mitchell Cole to be recalled from loan immediately.  Gower has played in the centre of the park before - he said it was his favourite position whilst at Barnet - and Marky G has at least demonstrated that he has the footballing ability to compete at this level.

Maher would at least have a creative and attacking outlet next to him - leaving him to concentrate more on being a bit of an enforcer, rather than having to do two jobs at once.

Adding in JCR would make us a munchkin-like, lightweight midfield... but isn't that what we are already?  At least we'd have decent footballers and reasonable amounts of pace - and at least that might be able to cause sides a bit of a problem?

Whatever the answer is, though, I cannot see a single convincing argument for keeping Guttridge in the side.  He needs to be dropped, he needs to sort his life out, and he needs to prove that he has the ability and hunger to compete at this level.

Oo.gif

Matt
You've missed out the option Tilly finally reverted to: Peter Clarke in midfield. Its not ideal, but at least he adds some bite.

What we need to do is compete in midfield. Our success was built around work-rate, as Tilly continually reminds us (as well as a 'great team spirit'). In the 4th div we had Pettefer and Bentley harrassing teams and breaking up play, last season when we were playing well Guttridge actually got stuck in and we had a wide-right in Bentley who covered so much ground that he played two positions.

Tilly's attempts to get more ball players in the side is admirable (the fact that Jay Smith got his contract renewed but Bentley and Pettefer were both allowed to leave speaks volumes about his intentions) but it moves us away from the foundations of our success. Play football by all means, but we need the ball in able to do so.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ Oct. 24 2006,10:49)]Why dont you try getting behind the team instead of slagging them off?

mad.gif

tounge.gif
I love the team, I think Tilly is awesome, SUFC will have my 100% support - and that's why I think Guttridge should be dropped. He's actively detracting from the side at the moment...

down.gif

Clarke wouldnt be a bad option if we want to toughen the midfield up. The general consensus recently is that we need a creative goalscoring midfield, that Clarke isnt but when you concede 3 goals every week I think you need to look at stopping goals rather than scoring them.

The guy cant pass, isnt particularly gifted technically but if he was to play a holding role there could be some benefit.

Quite like the idea of Gower in the middle, on his day he can be one of the best passers of the ball we have. However at the moment with so many goals being concdeded not sure thats the option we need. Wouldnt mind seeing him there against Hull though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 24 2006,11:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ Oct. 24 2006,10:49)]Why dont you try getting behind the team instead of slagging them off?

mad.gif

tounge.gif
I love the team, I think Tilly is awesome, SUFC will have my 100% support - and that's why I think Guttridge should be dropped.  He's actively detracting from the side at the moment...

down.gif
I know you do, plank
biggrin.gif

By the way I trust my text messages conveyed the carnage adequately on Saturday?

I seem to remember when we signed Guttridge that Cambridge fans warned us about him, they said he's a good enough player but if things don't go his way he ends up in a strop and his form suffers badly.

Might not be the case but if he's done it before he can easily do it again.

[b said:
[b said:

mad.gif

tounge.gif
I love the team, I think Tilly is awesome, SUFC will have my 100% support - and that's why I think Guttridge should be dropped.  He's actively detracting from the side at the moment...

down.gif
You are spot on Matt.

He doesn't want to be here anyway...allegedly!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MC BLUES @ Oct. 24 2006,11:30)]
[b said:
[b said:

mad.gif

tounge.gif

down.gif
You are spot on Matt.

According to who?

I know I suggested it, but I had no hard evidence to back it up (other than a long list of uninspiring performances). Can anyone add any weight to that theory, before it becomes unofficial fact!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Oct. 24 2006,11:33)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:

mad.gif

tounge.gif

down.gif
You are spot on Matt.

According to who?

I know I suggested it, but I had no hard evidence to back it up (other than a long list of uninspiring performances). Can anyone add any weight to that theory, before it becomes unofficial fact!
This is what I have heard.

Some will believe it, some will say its rubbish, some will say name your source?

I dont make things up, but there, you only have my word on that...what more can I say, I suggest it is true though.
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MC BLUES @ Oct. 24 2006,11:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Oct. 24 2006,11:33)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:

mad.gif

tounge.gif

down.gif
You are spot on Matt.

According to who?

This is what I have heard.

Some will believe it, some will say its rubbish, some will say name your source?

I dont make things up, but there, you only have my word on that...what more can I say, I suggest it is true though.
rock.gif
Fair enough.

Was it you who said two players wanted out, and one of them was a first team player?

As soon as you (or whoever it was said that) I immediately thought of Gutts.

Yes HKB it was me who made the post a couple of days ago.

Not sure if it's just me or if there are a few glitches with this site at the moment, having a bit of difficulty here!!

Back