• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BOTB: I, Claudius (Uncle Leo) v The Stand (MK)

Versus

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Brilliant dramatisation - with a little artistic licence here and there - of the early days of the Roman Empire. Murders, poisonings, beheadings, incest, it has it all.

Vote C-c-c-c-claudius!

The Stand - a mahoosive tome that I absolutely devoured - In my teenage years I read everything that Stephen King had written, and for me this is his very best work (i must admit that last SK I read was dreadful)...

The story is the ol' good vs evil tale - after a military created virus wipes out 99% of the human race.

Brilliant, believable characters and a great, great story. Vote The Stand!

The Stand was one of King's better ones. Not read I Claudius but to be honest, historical novels like that bore the hell out of me, sorry.

Got to be Claudius for me .Anything historical and fictional in Rome has got to be read!!

Not read either, not generally a fan of Stephen King though and I did love the TV adaption of I Claudius!

Ahem, we are not voting for the TV adaption :angry:

...and to think I let Roots through....

Lol, I know, but if that is all I have to go on and I don't like Stephen King, then that's about it!

P.s. You have your better choice through already!

Got to be Claudius for me .Anything historical and fictional in Rome has got to be read!!

I'm currently smashing through Conn Iggulden's Emperor series at a rate of about a book a week. A little poetic license from an entirely accurate historical perspective but cracking nonetheless. I've not read I, Claudius but I, South Bank Hank will do off the back of this thread.

For me though, it HAS to be the Stand. Forget any thoughts on Stephen King, if you've ever enjoyed anything post-apocalyptic, The Stand leaves everything in its wake. A work of art, truly EPIC in scale.

I'm currently smashing through Conn Iggulden's Emperor series at a rate of about a book a week. A little poetic license from an entirely accurate historical perspective but cracking nonetheless. I've not read I, Claudius but I, South Bank Hank will do off the back of this thread..

Conn Iggulden is one of my favourite authors, v good taste SBH. Try his 'War of the Roses' trilogy, different fictional history but just as well written. He's not finished the third one yet!

C-c-c-c-c-codswallop!

So I'm tied with the guy running the comp. Is MK a man of integrity who will step aside for the greater good, or the SZ equivalent of Sepp Blatter?

C-c-c-c-c-codswallop!

So I'm tied with the guy running the comp. Is MK a man of integrity who will step aside for the greater good, or the SZ equivalent of Sepp Blatter?

Or is he a man who already has one of his choices through to the last 16?? No pressure.

Haha....oh the power......

Well won Uncle Leo, I shall bow out gracefully.

I, Claudius into the last 16.

Last edited:
Back