• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BOTB: The Hobbit (RootsHallBloke) v The Greatest show on earth (Iron Mike)

Versus

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Hobbit is my second pick in this comp, but perhaps much better known than my first choice. It amazes me that J. R. R. Tolkien saw this book published in September 1937 but it is still as fresh today as it was then. A timeless novel written with children in mind it reaches out to adults as well drawing you into Middle Earth and introducing the likes of Gandalph, Golum and the Auks to the readership. For once the films, (the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings), do precise justice to what I imagined Auks might look like. For those of you that don’t know the story it goes like this (with thanks to Wiki for the paraphrasing):

Set in a time "Between the Dawn of Færie and the Dominion of Men, The Hobbit follows the quest of home-loving hobbit Bilbo Baggins to win a share of the treasure guarded by the dragon, Smaug. Bilbo's journey takes him from light-hearted, rural surroundings into more sinister territory. The story is told in the form of an episodic quest, and most chapters introduce a specific creature, or type of creature, of Tolkien's Wilderland. By accepting the disreputable, romantic, fey and adventurous side of his nature and applying his wits and common sense, Bilbo gains a new level of maturity, competence and wisdom. The story reaches its climax in the Battle of the Five Armies, where many of the characters and creatures from earlier chapters re-emerge to engage in conflict.

Given how good this story is, I’ve never really understood why Peter Jackson, the director, chose to make Lord of the Rings into a film first, especially as The Hobbit’s plot precedes LOTR, but there you go.

I like Dawkins, but not read this one. Been an absolute age since I read The Hobbit so I shall have a think....

Reading the Hobbit (for the first time) now, and it's brilliant - pitched to young adults, but still complex in its structure and character development. Almost like a fairy-tale but one brimming with malevolence at every turn. The wargs, Beorn, all wonderfully coloured-in characters. Now I feel like I can read LOTR properly.

I like Dawkins, but not read this one. Been an absolute age since I read The Hobbit so I shall have a think....
I’m a Dawkins fan too and it is a great book, unfortunately it’s come up against the first book that really enthralled me. I remember in primary school being read the hobbit every afternoon and it mesmerised me, I even went into school ill as I didn’t want to miss any! I’m going to sit this vote out

The Hobbit all day.
Though I suppose The Greatest Sham on Earth is a good work of fiction (it's a theory :winking:)
:net:

I’m a Dawkins fan too and it is a great book, unfortunately it’s come up against the first book that really enthralled me. I remember in primary school being read the hobbit every afternoon and it mesmerised me, I even went into school ill as I didn’t want to miss any! I’m going to sit this vote out

This, for me as well. It was one of our set books for my 1st year in senior school and I absolutely loved it. Prefer it to LOTR, truth be told.

As a massive Lord of the Rings fans I read the Hobbit again recently after having read it when I was a kid and thought it was rubbish this time.

Far to childish and the end feels like he couldnt be bothered to finish it so summed it up in a page.

I would sacrifice my own soul to Satan just so I could see Dawkins' face when he arrives in Hades. A contemptible little man whose theories are as riddled with holes as this chap:

T-1000.4.jpg

Back