• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

weststander

Manager
Dont get excited, its not our game.

I was perusing the Ewes website, its fun to watch them all moany and depressed (even more than here after a defeat) and I noticed that this season the Football League is allowing beambacks and Col U's game at Bradford in a couple of Tuesdays time is being beamed back to the Lego stadium. There is a fee involved but I was thinking why we havent tried it ? Col U are charging £10 or £18 if you want pie n mash. Im sure if they can afford it for their 2 supporters then we should be able to earn a little bit of money from it.

I was perusing the Ewes website, its fun to watch them all moany and depressed (even more than here after a defeat) and I noticed that this season the Football League is allowing beambacks and Col U's game at Bradford in a couple of Tuesdays time is being beamed back to the Lego stadium. There is a fee involved but I was thinking why we havent tried it ? Col U are charging £10 or £18 if you want pie n mash. Im sure if they can afford it for their 2 supporters then we should be able to earn a little bit of money from it.

I saw the same yesterday - wonder if this would be feasible for the Port Vale game now it's been switched to a Friday night?

Let's be honest, the ticket office staff and management can barely sell a paper ticket let alone organise something like this.

I personally would really like it as due to starting a family, the amount of away games I will be going to will reduce massively in the next few years.

The negatives would be the amount of fans we would actually take to the game. Plus I would say the team hosting the game would want some sort of money for it otherwise they would be losing money on away tickets and our club would be gaining if you get what I mean.

The positives are people who can't spend the amount money or the time to get to far away games would get to see the games live.

Blimey, hardly anyone turns up for home games as it is, doubt many will bother with this and also might affect the numbers that might travel in the minibus

Said for a while this should be the way ahead for most away games.

The club could make plenty of extra revenue from bar, catering and even a box or two of matchday programmes, plus a small charge maybe to get in for non-season ticket holders and, of course, other ancillaries like having the club shop/ticket office open, so people can order match tickets for the next home game while they are at the ground. Not forgetting using the hospitality areas to do a lunch/match package on reduced rates and have a screen in the hospitality area, maybe. Endless opportunities.

It could be beamed back with just the crowd noise and with maybe the BBC Essex commentary running over the top.

I know the argument against it is that it might stop people travelling, but I'm not sure it would make that much difference and certainly would create a good atmosphere at Roots Hall on an away matchday.

I could understand doing it for big away games where tickets are sold out (e.g. Col U) but for an average away game would we really get enough people going to justify the cost of putting up a screen, staff etc.? People can listen to the game on BBC Essex/Blues Player and then watch the highlights after. Also wouldn't there be TV rights issues?

I was thinking more having TV screens in and around the bars and hospitality areas, rather than a huge screen on the pitch, so it would just be a case of wiring up the existing TV screens. Yes, the big screen for the huge away games, possibly, like we did once before for Col Utd away.

It would be subject to TV rights, but SKY would, I'm sure, be happy to negotiate a rights package for a few shillings.

I can't see a negative for the club, unless the numbers attending were poor.

Be interesting to see the costs v. revenue if it were allowed.

I wouldn't bother coming to something like this to be honest, would much rather just listen to it at home.

Some may be interested though - perhaps the club could do an online questionnaire to gauge interest?

I wouldn't bother coming to something like this to be honest, would much rather just listen to it at home.

Some may be interested though - perhaps the club could do an online questionnaire to gauge interest?

Or just trial it for one match and see how it goes.

Wouldn't like to see it for every away game as it could affect the numbers that travel. But for games like Tuesday nights in Bradford when only the dedicated, people with no job/commitments and northern-based Shrimpers can really make it, then it should be done.

I believe Col Ewe have a reciprocal deal with Bradford to do it this season. If we were to go down the same road I doubt we'd be willing to let them do it for the RH game in April because they'll probably bring 500 or so down with them. This might explain why we haven't done it.

Must admit I'd definitely be willing to come along for it and pay a few quid, BBC Essex do a great job but I do tend to find listening to the radio very stressful especially if the home crowd is noisy every time they come forward.

Wouldn't like to see it for every away game as it could affect the numbers that travel..

I've thought about this and I'm not sure it would.

For example, the Sheffield United away match was live on the Internet, but we still took over 1,000 there and many matches are shown live on TV these days, but the away end is nearly always packed out.

I think there's those that are on the fence when a match is live on the TV, but if they are on the fence, I doubt they would travel to, say, Rochdale away, anyway.

The hardened fans travel, regardless, as it's all about being there, supporting your team and the day/evening out itself.

Back