• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brett Lee

C C Csiders

Life President
On the journey to spiritual enlightenment (via the
Brett Lee is in a Birmingham hospital with a knee infection and is rated as doubtful for Old Trafford on Thursday. With McGrath also out a good performance at Garons Park today in the 20:20 contest could see an Australian recall for Merv Hughes.  
tounge.gif

Blimey, the Aussie are dropping like flies this series....

Shame!
tounge.gif

havent they got some other Young Quickie called Shaun Tait in their touring party who is supposed to be their next 'genuine' quick bowler; never the the less if lee and McGrath are out the 3rd test we need to make the most of it and fill our boots with runs off people like Jason Gillespie.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Yeovil_Shrimper @ Aug. 09 2005,10:45)]havent they got some other Young Quickie called Shaun Tait in their touring party who is supposed to be their next 'genuine' quick bowler; never the the less if lee and McGrath are out the 3rd test we need to make the most of it and fill our boots with runs off people like Jason Gillespie.
Indeed they have - but remember he cannot currently get in their team ahead of Gillespie or Kasprowicz. They have also called up Stuart Clark currenly with Middlesex who has the quite impressive figures for the season of 45-10-129-7. He is apparently a bit of a McGrath bowl-a-like. He took 2-40 against Essex on Sunday. Anyone see him?

Not seen Stuart Clark, I think he also played county cricket last season.

Tait was registered at Durham last season and his one matche yielde 12 overs for 84 and no wickets. Although he took 50 odd wickets in Sheffield Shield.

Seems like the Aussies are going through what England normally go through against them with freak injuries & illnesses.

Stuart Clark didn't look anything that special at Garons and I doubt he'll play.

Stuart MacGill is apparently favourite to replace Chucker. This would however mean a seam attack of Gillespie, Kasprawicz and Martyn! As much as I'd like England to face that, I can't see it happening and I expect Tait to play.

If Lee is out, which seems likely i think they will call up Shane Watson. I would think that Tait would be too big a risk. Watson would strengthen the batting, but they will have no genuine quickie. Whereas England have three.

Bear in mind the Aussies also have Michael Clarke as back up spin, he had a 6fer in India last year.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Aug. 09 2005,13:06)]If Lee is out, which seems likely i think they will call up Shane Watson. I would think that Tait would be too big a risk. Watson would strengthen the batting, but they will have no genuine quickie. Whereas England have three.

Bear in mind the Aussies also have Michael Clarke as back up spin, he had a 6fer in India last year.
I think I'm right that Shane Watson is back in Australia as he was only here for the 1-dayer's.

Watson is definetley at hampshire, he hit a ton to chase down over 300 against Surrey in the last round of the C&G at the oval.

Can't really understand why the Baggy Greens aren't even mentioning the name of Andrew Symonds. Surely he's the man to bring in - not least because he plays for Lancashire and therefore knows the Old Trafford surface better than most. Plus the fact that he's a pretty useful change bowler in the Freddy mould (though not as good, obviously), as well as a mean lower order batsman...

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Aug. 09 2005,16:32)]Can't really understand why the Baggy Greens aren't even mentioning the name of Andrew Symonds.  Surely he's the man to bring in - not least because he plays for Lancashire and therefore knows the Old Trafford surface better than most.  Plus the fact that he's a pretty useful change bowler in the Freddy mould (though not as good, obviously), as well as a mean lower order batsman...

rock.gif
It is interesting about Symonds, but like Stewie Law he will i think go down as a one test wonder.

If Lee is not fit then i don't think they will go in with two leggies, good as they are. Although the forecast looks like it will be hot at the weekend. I think they will go with a third quick, and use Clarke as another spinning option.

Am I right in thinking Katich is also a useful chinaman bowler?

I too think they would have called up Watson if they were going to play 2 spinners, so to me that suggests Tait will be given his first cap.

Got to say I'm enjoying the boot being on the other foot. Still its mild compared to England's injury woes last Ashes, I think 9 bowlers were incapacitated at some stage or another during that tour.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Aug. 09 2005,17:10)]Am I right in thinking Katich is also a useful chinaman bowler?

I too think they would have called up Watson if they were going to play 2 spinners, so to me that suggests Tait will be given his first cap.

Got to say I'm enjoying the boot being on the other foot. Still its mild compared to England's injury woes last Ashes, I think 9 bowlers were incapacitated at some stage or another during that tour.
Spot on HKB forgot about Katich, think he has had a 5fer or better in tests.

Tait will be a big risk, but i must say after all the injuries and stuff that England have suffered in Ashes series down the years i must say i am enjoying their problems.

As far as McGrath is concerned i think Gilchrist talks with forked tongue. I would not be surprised if Lee does declare himself fit, then it is down to their selectors.

Just seen on BBC web site that England will name their side at the last minute. As they have not added anyone to the squad it is difficult to think they can (or will) make changes.

Back