• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bring back Tilly.

Don't think it'd be right to bring back Tilson but i don't understand the route one football? Could you explain because i remember us playing easily the best football in the last 20 years under him.
No chance, we had one good player to rely on, wasn’t that gower ? If he didn’t play we went route one and didn’t create a lot.

Tilson was a brilliant manager who ALWAYS kept the ball on the deck. Often to his detriment, some would say. He played to our strengths in midfield. Maher and Gower were outstanding on the ball, even at Championship level. Even when Tilson had target men-- Harrold, Paynter, Revs--he didn't really know how to use them! When we got promoted from L2 we had Eastwood, Gray and Duds up front, none of whom was suited to the long ball. Okay, Gray could chase a long pass with his pace, but it was always on the deck.

Last edited:
No chance, we had one good player to rely on, wasn’t that gower ? If he didn’t play we went route one and didn’t create a lot.

The fact you don't know suggests you didn't go to many games during that extremely successful period. Gower, Eastwood, Guttridge, Bailey, McCormack, Barnard all were great on the floor.

Name a better footballing performance than when we destroyed Yeovil at home the season we won league 1 in the last 20 years then? Think one of the goals had something like 25+ consecutive passes in. FYI Gower didnt even play in that game.

The fact you don't know suggests you didn't go to many games during that extremely successful period. Gower, Eastwood, Guttridge, Bailey, McCormack, Barnard all were great on the floor.

Name a better footballing performance than when we destroyed Yeovil at home the season we won league 1 in the last 20 years then? Think one of the goals had something like 25+ consecutive passes in. FYI Gower didnt even play in that game.
Was only a season card holder for 8 years through that:Clap:

The reality is we got Chris Powell in as a manager as he’s a club legend, his managerial credentials in recent years don’t really suggest he is a decent manager. I don’t see the point if we do replace him in getting another club legend (eg.Maher, Barrett) who has next to no managerial experience or a has been such as Tilly or Paul Clark. I think Pompey changed strategy when they were in league two a few years ago of not having anymore ex players of the club as managers who kept failing, instead they brought outsiders in. This has served them well since. If we were to make a change I think we should adopt the same approach.

I'm going to assume you mean in midfield because no Southend fan (even one with Tottenham in their name) could have forgotten about Freddy.

Even then you are mistaken because in midfield Kevin Maher was king of the sideways pass and along with Gower was part of the best footballing side we've had in at least the last 30 years and probably ever.

He is an extremely highly rated coach. A lot of the recent success of the England team is down to him so I hear (strong influence on formations etc.)

what a game that was - agreed we played some superb stuff that evening and IIRC it was the night JCR had a stormer and was celebrating with the crowd after the game like we had won the league

Why on earth would Steve Holland want to come to Southend?

You're right of course, he probably would not, but I expect England would release him if he got an offer that he was happy with and having those Chelsea connections access to some decent loans.

You're right of course, he probably would not, but I expect England would release him if he got an offer that he was happy with and having those Chelsea connections access to some decent loans.

Is becoming the Chelsea reserve team really that attractive a prospect to us?

Back